The Horse Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 1438 Posts

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Still playing catch up but getting closer! I got some saddle time last week. The whole story is in my journal.

Last Monday, I started with Link.

Then it was Phin's turn.

Tuesday, I got Phin out.

Wednesday, I started with Link.

Then it was George's turn.

🐎

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
@QHriderKE I know it sucks when you lose your confidence, but it's awesome to see you doing some stuff even on the ground! They are very cute.

@phantomhorse13 love all the saddle time and photos! :D Link looks wonderful, too! Teal is definitely his color. Also nice to see the snow melting for you, yay!!

I confess, I feel a bit better today. Also, Promise enjoyed her 8th birthday yesterday...gave her apples & carrots (her fav) & even put a cute birthday hat on her. LOL! My barnmate let me borrow it, it's made specifically for horses. She didn't mind it one bit, didn't even try to take it off once LOL.

It's cold again today, ugh. But by next week it's supposed to be in the 60's again. I can't wait!

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
@PoptartShop : happy belated birthday to Promise! glad you are feeling better and hope you get saddle time this weekend (cannot wait for the warm up)!

I got a bit more saddle time this week and am finally caught up posting! The whole story is in my journal.

Tuesday, I got Link out:

(yes, that is SNOW! 🤬)

Wednesday, I started with Link:

Then, it was Phin's turn:

🐎

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
@blue eyed pony , Cayde is looking quite relaxed under saddle. How is Ikora doing?

@QHriderKE , not a thing wrong with waiting until you and the youngsters are ready. I really like that dunskin filly, she's got a huge motor on her and I like the old style stocky QH build.

@phantomhorse13 , looks like spring is finally arriving in PA. That scenery shot when you are on Phin and facing a body of water with hills on the other side is gorgeous. Looks like a large pond or lake. Phin has the tiniest ears, so cute.

@PoptartShop , I apologize in being late to offer you get well wishes and a Happy Birthday to the beautiful Promise. I thought I had but that's what I get for thinking. I hope by now you're feeling better. How's your grandma doing?

It was a good farrier day today. Wind was blowing hard so I worried they would be in silly mode but other than Cutter spooking when the door blew shut with a bang the wind was a non event. The farrier wasn't under Cutter at the time so it was a non-issue too but he did have to keep his head turned staring at it for the first couple of minutes to make sure something wasn't going to come through it and eat him. LOL Also got all but Frecks and Thunder wormed while waiting on his arrival and then he wormed Thunder for me while I did Frecks. Ever since his trainer ordeal Thunder has been a PITA to worm so I appreciated the help. Nick is tall enough he can't raise his head up higher than Nick's reach like he can with shorty me. Then we have Cutter who not only wants his own wormer but wants to lick any residue left on the outside of every tube. Flash spends 10 minutes afterwards with his lip curled up. LOL Yes I know what that is called but I can never remember how to spell it so make do with easy to spell words. Cloud takes it easy but then spits it out no matter how long you hold her head up so I use one of these on her and also on Gamble because he wants to fight too. I'm too old to argue with them so I'm not above using a tool that makes my life easier.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
@JCnGrace he is! He's learning some big boy things now, starting the very beginnings of roundness. He's a good kid.
Ikora has a fungal skin infection on her face and her soundness is still questionable so she's still not really in work, but I should know for sure whether my job is permanent or not soon, and if it's permanent I can afford to put her in foal! :D

·
Registered
640 Posts
@PoptartShop - CUTE on the birthday pics! Love the hat!

@phantomhorse13 - Great pics! Love your adventures...

@JCnGrace - lol on the worming... Wrangler is the worst! He's okay with taking the syringe but afterwards he makes the worst faces! And looks at me like YOU POISONED ME!! lol

I FINALLY got to go on a trail ride... it was the best! Chal did good for being off for 2 1/2 months... my friend came to pick me up she has an older 2 horse straight load bumper pull with a ramp and right up he went... he's pretty good about taking things in stride. But and I'm sorry for you guys that have mares but he loaded right beside a mare that was in heat... ugh... I told him not to look at her but even when he didn't she sniffed him and squealed and kicked... I had to tie him on a short lead so he wouldn't even look at her... when after the ride and I was loading him I'm like just don't look at her! Sure enough as soon as he got on didn't even look at her she sniffed him squealed and kicked..... ugh again! But they rode together really good... it was a beautiful ride and weather was great! FINALLY!!!! Feel better...

Then this afternoon worked Captain in the round pen, he did good... listened really well and did a little liberty with him. THEN got on him bareback! What?? lol Just on and off 2 times.... he came right to the mounting block and stood quietly...

Still don't have my trailer... Some issue happened... oh well... Hopefully I should get it back in the next few weeks....

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Did another thing that I've put off longer than I had wanted to (it wasa confidence thing)

Used Penny to work and give a ponying lesson to one of my 3yos. Penny has a history of being kind of nasty to other horses, so I wasn't super confident that this was going to go well.
Well, it did and I was over the moon with both girls. Videos are in my journal but here are a few pictures because everyone loves pictures!

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
@blue eyed pony , sorry to hear Ikora is still not 100%.

@lb27312 , YAY for the trail ride! Sucks about you still not having your trailer back. I might be thumping some heads by now or at least bending their ears.

@QHriderKE , nothing beats a good pony horse and it's also good lessons for the youngster that's getting ponied.

I couldn't stand all of the loose hair covering Frecks so I gave her a good curry a couple of days ago. I hope it doesn't turn cold again. There's enough grass popping up that when I call them in for their dinner they are not in any hurry to get to the barn. Today I told Gamble I was going to get a whip after him if he didn't get a move on and just the threat was enough to make him hightail it to the barn. I don't even know how he knows what a whip is because I never use one, just threaten to on occasion. LOL

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Speaking of pony horses, and youngsters getting ponied,

I was waiting for the farrier and couldn't be bothered standing so miss Ikora, who rides beautifully in a halter, got to carry me around while the two bay kids had a nice graze beside the driveway. I pulled her shoes, and won't be putting them back on while she's not in proper work, because a set of shoes costs the same as 3 trims.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I really don't notice how huge this horse is until I realise how tiny I look on her and remember that depending on the angle I can make Ikora look small...

Edit: and this is the last time I'll sit on this horse, because I just had to fire her owner as a client. The owner wants me to only touch the horse with them present, which is just not going to work. I can't ride when I've just spent 8 hours on my feet, which leaves me with only 3 days a week I'm available, and basically when I'm around, Poppy's owner isn't. So I cannot ride this horse often enough within that requirement to actually do my job with her, and I'm not continuing with a training client I know I can't turn out to my/the owner's satisfaction.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
@JCnGrace : I consider that body of water a lake, but guess it may technically be a pond - it's where water filled in a coal pit so probably can call it whatever you like. glad the horses behaved for the farrier despite the wind (wish they could teach mine to do that). i think the deworming 'cheat' is working smarter, not harder. jealous you have grass coming in already.

@lb27312 : woohoo to getting out on trail despite silly mare antics. getting on Captain is fantastic!!!

@QHriderKE : working a horse from another horse always looks very complicated to me. I am glad Penny did well for you. that youngster is gorgeous.

@blue eyed pony : sorry to hear that Ikora still isn't right. if you do breed her, would it be to another TB or would you look at a nice sport cross? what a shame that things didn't work out with Poppy's owner. that mare is a chunk. perhaps when she can't find someone else, she will come back to you.

Got some saddle time this week. The whole story is in my journal.

Sunday, I got Link out:

Monday, I went to ride with Nicole. I rode Polo:

🐎

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
@phantomhorse13 if Poppy's owner DOES come back to me, I'm going to stand firm on my decision to fire her as a client. Some horse owners are just too difficult to work with. It's a shame because the horse is lovely but the owner is very "her way or the highway" and that just doesn't gel with my training style (I listen to the HORSE, stuff what the owner thinks).

I've posted a photo of the stallion Ikora will go to in this thread a few pages ago! He's an Akhal Teke :) I'm fond of the rare and unusual, I really like his conformation and how it compliments hers, and I like all the colours I could get from this cross of these two specific horses, plus it's a very proven cross and the two breeds have a common ancestor (the Turkoman Horse). He's EE aa nCr so could sire black, bay, buckskin or black carrying cream (aka smoky black, but science has proven that a single cream has no visual effect on black pigment) and I'd be happy with any of those. Happiest with buckskin because as you guys know I have a massive soft spot for a nice bucky but none of them would disappoint me!
My other favourite Teke stallion is Kambarbay who is perlino, so guaranteed cream, but carries red, so a chance at palomino - and I HATE white tails so for a foal to keep I'm going to avoid a colour I hate managing.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Look at this good giraffe! First trail ride and he loved it. A semi went past and that was a little scary according to Cayde, but all's well that ends well and after his little OMG moment he composed himself very quickly and very nicely.
Ikora was very well behaved for mum too :)

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
Sorry for disappearing again, it's been a rough week to say the least. :(

@JCnGrace Promise says thank you for the birthday wishes. & that is a pretty cool tool for the worming! :D Promise is like, 'a syringe? ok no big deal' but one of my barnmate's horses is like, noooo, must put head up HIGH! LOL.

@lb27312 I am so happy you had a good trail ride. Finally! I know it probably felt good to get out! & yay for Captain being such a good boy! I love that!

@QHriderKE yay Penny!! Awesome pics! Glad everything is going well!

@phantomhorse13 amazing rides as usual, I love seeing your pictures & videos. So nice just being able to ride without 3298941 layers on, right?!! LOL.

I confess, Promise is doing well, didn't ride a lot this week because it rained a ton. Rained alllllll day & night today too. Yesterday I got a nice ride in though, it was fun! :D Really nice weather, like 70! I couldn't believe it! She is shedding like crazy. It's supposed to be a bit chilly again this week though, not crazy but dropping to 30's at night closer to the weekend. Ugh. :( I hosed her off cause she was a bit sweaty after the ride which was nice. Didn't give her a bath (yet) but I did clean up her legs a bit!

It's been a long week though. My grandmom isn't doing too well, unfortunately. :( She got released on Tuesday from the rehab facility. She has to be supervised at all times, & it's looking more & more like she's going to have to go into a nursing home, which is the last thing we want, but she'd get 24/7 care. :( She's staying at my mom's cousins house right now, but it's becoming too much for her so. Just a sad situation all-around.

So, I'm visiting her as much as I can. She looks really frail, she's just so tiny. Even tinier than she was when I visited her during Christmas. The stroke definitely took a toll on her. :( My brother is coming down tomorrow to visit her with me. Making her smile/laugh makes my day.

Thank you everyone for all of the support. <3

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
@phantomhorse13 , more gorgeous scenery! In case I haven't thanked you before for sharing them with us, THANK YOU.

@blue eyed pony , yay for getting out and about on Cayde and I'm glad Ikora is doing well enough for your mom to ride.

@PoptartShop , I'm sorry to hear your grandma isn't bouncing back very fast. Is she agreeable to a nursing home? It makes it a lot less stressful if they don't mind going into one. At least you got a ride in and I know what peace that is capable of bringing a person.

Tomorrow is my first covid vaccination and I hope I can be brave about it. I don't do so hot with needles poking in me.
I remember one time when I was a kid and still got them in the derrière that the nurse pulled my pants down and I yanked them back up, she pulled them back down and I yanked them up again. I don't remember how many times we went through this before she had to call my mom in and have her hold me down. Thank goodness this will be in the arm, don't want to go through that scenario again. LOL

·
Registered
359 Posts
@JCnGrace - We do celebrate on the 25th December, although it's not traditional. Christmas was banned in Scotland for around 400 years and very little changed until recently.

For 5000 years they celebrated a mix of the Winter Solstice, Yule and added in Christianity when it was introduced. It was the Reformation in 1560 that banned all festivals and holidays around that date. If people wanted to celebrate on the 25th, they had to do it in secret or they moved it to the New Year, our Hogmanay.

Christmas was a normal working day until 1958, when it finally became a public holiday but habits are hard to break. My parents were used to working right through or having a few members of the family drop by and that hasn't changed, even for me.

There's still a mix of everything today, with slightly more emphasis on Christmas than there was in the past. However there are a great deal more (non-Christian) events and traditions around the three days at Hogmanay. Everywhere has light festivals, street parties, torch parades, fire-balls and so on. It's amazing how much the past influences us today!

@blue eyed pony - Body protectors are really expensive. I've often wondered why they're double or triple the price of helmets. I've gotten to an age where i don't bounce so I'm glad of the extra padding LOL

@PoptartShop - What a wonderful surprise to find a desk full of presents! Beats paperwork any day! I've a Dyson as well. I used to have a Bosh, it was one of the most unreliable makes that i've ever had. Have a good holiday.

@avjudge - Your right about the 'his-genitive' in the English language. I think it was short lived and died out a few hundred years ago. Fingers crossed for your cat, he sounds like a sweetheart it would be a shame if it shortened his life.

@Change - Hi great to see you back again! It's good to know that Kyle is doing well. I had the same problem with my archery straw targets, except with mice. A lot smaller than horses LOL! They looked so cozy i (almost) felt sorry for 'removing' them.

After dropping a pan of soup all over the kitchen floor yesterday, i spent this morning finding and cleaning missed marks and splashes. I thought that I'd bring in my large Vax carpet cleaner so that i could clean the hard floor, then use it next week in the rooms with carpets, but it's dead. I forgot that it had packed up in the summer. I should've replaced it when it broke! I'm going to wait until next week and splash out on a new one.

I hope everyone's having a good weekend.
Cal...your country sounds like the ideal place for the likes of me, a Neo-Pagan 🙂 The Solstice doesn’t get much attention around here.
Sounds like the complete opposite of Ireland, where the English banned Catholicism and the Gaelic language. During my two trips to the Emerald Isle, I noticed there is still a great deal of resentment against the English; my friends there referred to them as the “B————— Brits”.
That did not include the Scots btw!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Cal...your country sounds like the ideal place for the likes of me, a Neo-Pagan 🙂 The Solstice doesn’t get much attention around here.
Sounds like the complete opposite of Ireland, where the English banned Catholicism and the Gaelic language. During my two trips to the Emerald Isle, I noticed there is still a great deal of resentment against the English; my friends there referred to them as the “B————— Brits”.
That did not include the Scots btw!

I'd like to think that we'd welcome everyone so you'd fit in 😊

Everyone follows the old ways to some extent, whether it's for fun at Samhuinn or every day. Perhaps we're closer because we're surround with reminders from our landscape to our archaelogical sites and buildings. It links us to how our ancestors understood their world - agriculture, seasons, life and death etc.

1381 - 1400 of 1438 Posts