The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I was wondering if I could get some critiquing on my mare and her pedigree. She is 3/4 Arabian and 1/4 Saddlebred. I've owned her for 10+ years and she's a gem. She is in her 20s and these pictures are from the past 8 or so years. I would just like to learn a bit. She's done a little dressage, given riding lessons, and been a great trail horse for myself. I'd love to hear what you see! Hopefully the amount of pictures make up for the lack of proper confirmation pics. Thanks so much!

DSCF3259.JPG
DSCF3279.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG
982E50FF-9C6A-4ED9-BFD8-7568C814845B.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
Very nice, solid looking mare. She's got good straight legs and good bone. The only odd thing is the dip in front of her withers. That can sometimes come from being ridden too much from front to back, and the horse sort of 'scrunching' up behind the bit. Or, it could just be the way she is built. pretty horse!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I’ll look into learning more about riding positioning and see if that has maybe caused that dip. She has had it for as long as I can remember so it’s possible it’s just her build. Thank you for the feedback!

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
this is a horse I leased for 6 years. This is not a very flattering photo of him, but see the 'dip' in front of his withers?

I think it's partly from being FAT, and having a cresty neck (he is a gelding), but also from some time in his younger years being ridden in dressage where he may have had too much focus on 'head set' sort of approach,, where in the rider sort of 'fiddles' the reins to get the hrose to curl up and look collected. in some horses they sort of 'drop' the base of the neck downward and lift up the crest or poll, making the "S" shape of the neck vertebrae more pronounced and more compacted.

Becuase this horse , when I started riding him, had a bad habit of curling up behind the bit with even the slightest of contact it required working in such a way that he was riding on a loose rein, and asked to move forward and not allowed to 'suck back', but neitehr did we use reins to try and 'collect' him. If we did apply rein contact, for whatever reason, we did not tolerate his habitual reaction of diving his head down and curling behind the bit, getting a cross expression on his face and grinding his teeth . He did this bitless too. He needed a lot of time on the buckle, of 'go forward, go forward, go forward'.

He was a very sweet fellow with whom I clicked really well. I appreciate the years we had together. He lives with his owner now, and they have a great relationship and good times riding . He is solid, happy and sound at 22.

fat xerxes.JPG

·
Premium Member
23,879 Posts
Ditto to nice looking horse. Can't really say much about 'conformation' tho from those pics, aside from yeah, the dip in front of the withers, as Tiny said, and that her hind end looks a bit weak. Could be due to doing the 'headset' thing & make the horse overbent behind the vertical.

No comment on her 'pedigree' as I don't know or care about that much at all. Just that she doesn't look like she's mostly arab.

And I know, it's not the topic, but PLEASE, even if you're not into helmets yourself, put one on the child before putting them on a horse! Thankfully there's only been one time my daughter came off & landed on her head, and I shudder to think if she weren't in a helmet...

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
She's very cute, mostly polish Arab bloodlines. Looks like they were trying to breed a park/saddleseat horse. Interesting she ended up doing trails and dressage. 😁

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is a horse I leased for 6 years. This is not a very flattering photo of him, but see the 'dip' in front of his withers?

I think it's partly from being FAT, and having a cresty neck (he is a gelding), but also from some time in his younger years being ridden in dressage where he may have had too much focus on 'head set' sort of approach,, where in the rider sort of 'fiddles' the reins to get the hrose to curl up and look collected. in some horses they sort of 'drop' the base of the neck downward and lift up the crest or poll, making the "S" shape of the neck vertebrae more pronounced and more compacted.

Becuase this horse , when I started riding him, had a bad habit of curling up behind the bit with even the slightest of contact it required working in such a way that he was riding on a loose rein, and asked to move forward and not allowed to 'suck back', but neitehr did we use reins to try and 'collect' him. If we did apply rein contact, for whatever reason, we did not tolerate his habitual reaction of diving his head down and curling behind the bit, getting a cross expression on his face and grinding his teeth . He did this bitless too. He needed a lot of time on the buckle, of 'go forward, go forward, go forward'.

He was a very sweet fellow with whom I clicked really well. I appreciate the years we had together. He lives with his owner now, and they have a great relationship and good times riding . He is solid, happy and sound at 22.

Hey thanks! This sounds so much like my mare. She is super sensitive to the bit and it is hard for me to get her fully engaged from behind because she just “collects” her head and wants to call it good. It’s probably mostly rider error😉 as I have very little formal training. sounds like something we could work on though!

View attachment 1110739

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's very cute, mostly polish Arab bloodlines. Looks like they were trying to breed a park/saddleseat horse. Interesting she ended up doing trails and dressage. 😁
Thanks for the info on pedigree. Yes, she did do some saddleseat before I bought her. I don’t know much of anything about showing but leased her for some riding lessons where they worked on hunter/dressage. Not much. She’s made a wonderful trail horse - plenty of endurance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rode a Polish Arab mare once, in another time and world. She was a daughter of the great stallion Gdansk . What a horse she was!
Sounds like an amazing experience!
This girl has an amazing personality. She taught me to ride and will be here to teach my kids. Worth her weight in gold (figuratively speaking since I don’t have that😅)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts