The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Super Moderator
You did not say if there is something specific you wanted assessed, so a general tear down I'll do.

I like his coloring and his face, shape of his eye and ear.
The picture is hard to evaluate how well his neck truly ties in to chest, how clean his throatlatch area is, the size of his jowl in proportion to his face length and overall forehead width & head shape.
I like how his neck ties to his wither and wither to spine with enough fat/muscle to give a smooth top line but some angles seen.
I don't like his hind leg set, much to steep his legs, actually standing under himself.
I do not like how steep his croup is and unless you stand him up perfectly and stage him well in a ring, he has noticeable deficits in his build.
With you not standing square to him taking a picture its hard to see how long his back is and how well he ties together at the hip girdle...but the hint is he could be better.
His feet are small for his size seen but can't tell how they are shaped. I know teacups for feet on big, fat bodies is fad choice but not the best for a horse of his size and mass.
Can't see his cannons, pasterns, fetlocks, knees nor hocks and how they are set on the body either.
All I can see is his knees appear flat...
We know he is a halter horse as you did another thread with same picture presented...

Big, muscle bound and fat horses standing on small feet for their bulk are not a good combination.
I know that is how the halter horse is presented today but for the sake of my horses health and longevity I would sculpt his muscle not make him jiggly fat..sadly that to me is points off if I was a judge..
I actually would not be looking to put any more fat on this horse, he is covered well enough but now needs ridden to sculpt those muscles and balance the package you want seen.

He's a nice looking horse, not fantastic in build but not terrible by any means... With good positioning, stood-up better some of his seen here "lessen" ...and he doesn't need to jiggle in fat, be so muscle bound or be on the verge of going over into potentially deadly territory of laminitis or founder and the lasting effects the horse becomes crippled from.
I see many nice points to your horse if he were to stand in front of me no fatter but better balanced in muscle he would absolutely place very nicely in a class of many in the show pen.
Best of luck in how the future goes for him... and for you.
馃惔.... jmo...

Registered
I wonder if you could post some photos that are better for critique. such as more at a perpendicular angle . . . standing right off the girth line, with the camera neither looking downward nor upward at him. Some front and rear views , too.

I can tell he is a very nice looking horse. maybe base narrow, and maybe camped under in the hind, but can't say from this angle.

I would like to say that with a tie bar like you have, you should thread the rope through the horse shoe and still tie around the bar itself. A panicked horse can literally break that welded on horseshoe. It probably does't matter, but it's just one of those things to learn and pass on to others.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advice! The rope is tied in a quick release knot just in case something happens:) I鈥檒l also get some better pictures of him. Thank you!

Registered
I'm going to take a stab at critiquing conformation just for fun. I don't really know what I'm talking about but people say I have a knack for finding really nice looking horses!

1) he has a really pretty head and I love his facial expression. He looks kind.
2) He looks like he's just right as far as weight goes - not too fat or too thin.
3) His coat is smooth and shiny. He looks well-groomed and healthy.
4) I think he's just standing funny and if you squared him up and took a photo from a better angle he'd look even better.
5) With more riding he'll muscle up beautifully.
6) Mules have small feet and they do great! My QH also has tiny feet and people assume she's halter bred but she's not - and she's very steady on her feet.

I think you have a very nice looking horse there, and somebody has been taking good care of him :)

Registered
He's cute. Like most halter-bred horses, his feet and legs aren't ideal. Short, upright pasterns, small feet, post-legged behind with very little angle to the hock (at least from what I can tell given the angle of the picture). He doesn't look awful though, I've watched AQHA halter horse classes for several decades and some of the legs on those animals are absolutely horrible.

I have owned and ridden a few "halter flunkies" myself (have one right now out of a halter sire). Their conformation may not be ideal in every way, but they've been some of the sweetest, most honest horses. And pretty to boot!

Your guy is lovely. His face and eye make me think he's a good soul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts