The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone; this is my new horse Gabriel! I'd like your feedback on his conformation, please. This is just for fun and to satisfy my own curiosity. :D

Gabriel is an Arab in his mid teens that I rescued from a kill buyer. I've only had him about a week, so he still needs to put on some weight and I need to work with him to build up his topline, so please keep that in mind as you're critiquing him. I've attached an unmarked photo, and I also took a stab at it myself using FANTASTIC conformation tutorial that TheLastUnicorn posted (please refer to the table for those measurements).

Here's what I see: He's a little down hill / butt high. The humorous is fairly long compared to the scapula, and the shoulder angle is a little "closed" at ~70 degrees, compared to the ideal 90-100 degrees. His cannon and pastern are appropriate lengths. His illium is a little short, with both the femur and the pelvis being 5% longer than the illium. He has a nice short back in comparison to his body length and his ribcage length. However, the LS joint is set a little behind the hip joint, so in conjunction with his downhill build, that may make it difficult for him to collect / get off the forehand. (I haven't ridden him yet, so we'll find out!). He has a nice slightly arched neck, but it's a little longer than ideal in comparison to the rest of his body. The neck may be a little "ewey", but that might improve as we work on building his topline. His hind legs are neither camped out nor under. Both front and hind legs appear to follow a plumbline. Appears to be slightly pigeon breasted. He has fairly high withers but again, that may improve as his topline is built up. Nicely shaped head and ears, but throatlatch is a little thick.

What else do you see? I'm all ears! Thanks! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
I like the front end and shoulder on this horse, maybe a bit cleaner neck attachment. His pasterns look steep to me- could be faulty farrier work- but are a good length. Nice head. He is extremely downhill. His hocks are pretty high, and he has a decent hind end.

How old is this horse? He seems kind of young to me and looks like some babies that grow butt high, and level out as they mature. If he is already mature, he will have trouble rounding and collecting, like you said.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He definitely needs farrier work! I should have mentioned that in my first post. I just got him and he just saw the vet today, so I'm trying not to overload him with too much poking/prodding as he's settling in. The farrier will do his feet next week.

Thanks for the reply! You think he's "extremely downhill"? Darn, I was hoping it was just a little bit, lol. I'm told he's in his mid teens, so no more growing for this guy.

Here's a picture of him from the other side. He's not standing very nicely for this picture, which is why I didn't post it, but you can see his neck better without the mane covering it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
2nd pic doesn't look so 'butt high', shoulder angle looks better, back doesn't look so weak.... showing that a lot may be postural rather than unchangeable 'conformation'. He's also not apparently underweight, or 'ewe necked' at all. He also looks a bit 'camped under' in front, which could be due to high &/or sensitive heels.

Oh & I have to comment on the humerous spelling of humerus!:lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, loosie. Yeah, maybe his posture will improve after the farrier comes out. :)

As for the spelling of humerus... :oops: I *thought* it looked funny, lol. Thanks for the correction. :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
I agree his overall angles look better in the second pic.

He does however in both pictures seem uncomfortable. His front legs are a bit under, and his hind are a bit behind, could be back soreness, or just his feet.

I also noticed that in both he stands very hollow. I don't know when/how these pics were taken, or if he was under some stress at the time, but he is concerned about something, and the underside of his neck is bulging/tense. Might be good, one his feet are in order, to get him used to everything and relax a little with some ground work :)

Reactions: loosie
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.