The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
The easiest way to tell a gray is from their birth color immediately after born and dry. So- first few hours. Grays will be hyperpigmented and show their adult color before the graying process starts. As graying can develop at different rates and can be effected by other genes it also helps to know breed and base color of the gray parent.

As TBs don't carry roan and she wouldn't have other genes that I know of that can cause confusion with grey initially and the sire is a standard sorrel pinto then I will say dam is likely black or bay that went gray and baby is bay going grey.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Looks like grey to me. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Gray effects the color producing cells and causes the base color to change. For the baby to show gray they must carry gray. It does not hide. Baby got the gray gene from mom but mom is a base color plus they gray. Just like baby is base (bay) plus gray.

Once the graying process starts colors shift and you can't always tell what the base was. You know either black E_aa or bay E_A_ . If black then the A came from the sire. That A represents dominant agouti and combined with an E produces bay. A sorrel can carry A but it has no effect on coat coloration.

Both parents are really nice looking. Baby is pretty sweet himself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts