The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Now, given a bit of language written into the omnibus spending bill that was approved by the Senate on Thursday night, it's seeming more certain that there will be no horse slaughtering on U.S. soil in the foreseeable future. The House already approved the spending measure, which now heads to President Obama for his signature.

The provision bans the funding of U.S. Department of Agriculture inspections at horse slaughter plants. And without inspections, slaughterhouses can't be in business. Game over.

"Americans do not want to see scarce tax dollars used to oversee an inhumane, disreputable horse slaughter industry," Wayne Pacelle of the Humane Society argues in a press release. He has been lobbying for a ban on funding for horse slaughter inspections."
Congress Blocks Slaughtering Horses For Meat In U.S. : The Salt : NPR

I may feel squeamish at the mental picture of slaughter, but it makes more sense to me than shipping horses to Mexico for slaughter. Congress! Is there anything they can't fix? < / sarc >

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I think there's some legal language that says either the slaughter houses or the states can't pay for the inspectors, conflict of interest or something. I forget exactly how it went but it got slapped down back in the beginning when they first passed this insane law.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
The law had to read for human consumption, so there would be inspections. horses cannot be slaughtered at the same facility as cattle. With no inspections then the industry could be just as horrid as in Mexico, so saving horses from inhumane treatment just got defeated.
Off to Mexico they go .

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Senator Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma is going to try to put funding back into the Farm Bill they are working on. If that does not work, he plans to introduce a stand alone bill providing funding for inspectors.

There are more people that know nothing about horses or the 'unintended consequences' of NOT having processing facilities here in the US. Most voters' votes that elect Representatives are cast by these uninformed city and suburban dwellers. Most public opinion is shaped by the false propaganda that is put out by the evil HSUS and other animal rights groups. These good people with good intentions just do not realize how much more horses suffer because of their actions. Even worse, they give the HSUS over $100,000,000 a year to shape more opinions against actual horse welfare.

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It reflects a perpetual problem - most people live in cites, and do not understand what happens outside of a city, yet they feel free to impose rules on farmers, ranches, national forests, etc. They think ranchers graze on public land for free, and that grazing destroys the land. They have no concept of logging. They think of the 'clear cut and move on' logging of the 1800s, and they believe the propaganda that says all logging is like that.

I blame organizations like HSUS, that raise funds and live off of pushing propaganda about what goes on. Like all propagandists, they never discuss alternatives. So people who don't know one end of a horse from the other end make rules for horses (or ranches, or wildlife) based on feeling good. But the minority that lives in a rural area, or that owns horses, has to deal with the imposed rules.

I wouldn't think of telling a city where to have the bus lines run. In return, I wish they wouldn't tell me what to do with a horse.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
There's a small processing plant nearby. I know that everything has to be steam cleaned after processing one type of animal before they can do another. This is a 3 person operation. With the huge operations it is better to specialize for efficiency. Even the handling facilities for each is different. Some states are likely under enormous pressure to not have inspectors but that boils down to winning the vote. Perhaps the politicians should be challenged for allowing the inhumane long distance transfer of horses when no other livestock has to travel like that.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I've been thinking this over. What I'm wondering is that there will be no inspectors if the meat is for human consumption. Does pet food require inspectors?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
No. As a matter of fact, meat condemned by the inspectors usually gets put into pet foods. Poultry with abscesses becomes 'chicken' and 'chicken by-products'. Beef carcasses found to have diseases like cancer or infections, goes into pet foods. I always get a real kick out of the pet food ads that say they want CHICKEN to be the first name on the label. It is a diseased or condemned chicken -- but they don't tell you that.

All of the old laying hens that are 'worn out' go to the Campbell Soup Plant in North Texas from the big egg houses near here. Our county has about 2 million laying hens housed here. There is an inspector at Campbells' and all the condemned chickens are boiled down to a meal and go to pet food plants and are labeled 'chicken'. Meat and bone meal comes from dead animals sent to rendering plants that boil them all down.

The only animals processed for human consumption that are not inspected are those that are not sold to the public. There are no inspectors at small facilities where people bring their own animals to to be processed. We take our Bison and hogs or beef to a small family owned facility in Madill, OK that we have used for decades.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I don't like the idea of my tax dollars being spent on a service I will never use & a product I will also never use. I feel the same way about paying for someone else's abortion or birth control & multiple other things someone else decides we need to spend money on.

Why not have the plant owners pay for the inspections? Is there worry about the inspectors being paid to overlook wrong doings? Of course if the owners pay then they will turn that cost over to consumers, as always, but if someone wants to use the facilities or the product then so be it.

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^ I suspect the plant owners would be glad to pay for the inspections. I also doubt the government would ever allow it, since it would be a conflict of interest in an area involving consumer safety. Areas I do not mind spending tax dollars on include inspecting food, ensuring humane standards for animals, worker safety, etc.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
There are many services that many people pay for with tax $$$ but do not use.

Childless individuals and couples do not use public schools. Property taxes pay for many services that all residents do not use. Even if you never plan to eat in a restaurant, we all pay for restaurant inspections.

This is part of how a civilized country tries to make things better and safer for all. Personally, I would not want to live in a country that let unsafe or unhealthy conditions flourish. I think West Virginia could do a better job of inspecting industrial sites. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. It is a top-heavy inefficient bureaucracy, but it beats letting industries self-regulate. We have seen how that works from the banking industry to just about any other industry.

·
Administrator
36,325 Posts
Are the inspection cost issues coming from horses not being recognized as livestock - or are they classed as livestock in the US? There seems to be a differentiation in the UK where a horse is classed as agricultural if its used for farm work or to produce meat or hide and a pet if used for leisure/competition

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
They have always been considered as livestock. Domestic slaughter was actually stopped due to state laws. When there was talk of bringing it back, the animal rights nuts, (mostly led by the political lobbyists paid by HSUS) got politicians to pull funding. Last year, funding was restored and that is why they almost got a new processing facility opened. Then, the last minute, the same politicians funded by HSUS got inspection funding pulled again.

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ I think the thinking behind this is: "Don't hurt the horsies!"

I don't want to hurt horsies either, but I'm waiting to hear of a good alternative.

Cowboy is our little BLM mustang. He's ridden about 6 times/year, so we obviously do not need him...but as long as I can afford his feed, I guess we'll keep him. I kind of like the little snot, although I wouldn't cry if someone wanted him. But if he or Mia was sick, and couldn't live any longer without pain, and I could have them killed and rendered for dog food or even meat for people (depending on what was wrong), then why not?

I consider the shipping to be the 'cruelty', not the killing. And we still allow shipping to Mexico...

·
Administrator
36,325 Posts
That's what I don't understand bsms - they aren't sparing any horses from slaughter at all, just forcing them on a long journey to Mexico or Canada
I was able to take a horse to a slaughter yard myself in the UK by appointment or have them come to the yard to do it and be there to ensure it was handled properly. The money I got went towards buying another horse
Of course the EU regulations on medications have stopped most people doing that over there now which is why so many horses are being abandoned and so many useless horses on the market that keep getting passed around that would at one time have gone for slaughter

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Remember who voted for this and make SURE that you are registered--Today would be a GREAT day to register to vote, if you are not already!!
Also, don't look for the perfect candidate.
Vote for the best choice and hold them accountable!!!!!

This same, STUPID argument--"the horses are trailored 5 days to Mexico to be slaughered" was used years ago, when it wasn't true to convince everybody to get rid of horse slaughter. Where I live, the meat market used to drive 4 hours north to a slaughterhouse in Illinois, which was, I believe, the last one shut down in the US. Now, bc of politicians, this IS true.
It's time to clean house in Washington, AND in my state, Illinois.
MANY apologies for my state bc we trained the current President.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.