The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to write up some causes of improper trimming(that I have learned) and was wondering if you guys have anything to add or point out

High heels
-Contracted heels
-Small frog, bad circulation causing heel pain and weak digital cushion
-Causes tight unhealthy spaces that invite thrush
-Can cause imbalanced palmer angle
Under-run heels
-Puts extra strain on tendons
-Can contribute to navicular and heal pain
Long toe
-Under-run heels
-Stretched laminae(flaring) pulling outer hoof wall away from hoof capsule.
-Late break-over point causing tripping or uncomfortable gait
-Flat sole giving less support to the hoof capsule
-Can contribute to mechanical laminitis
Too much bar
-Can cause heel pain and abscessing
Too much sole removed
-Can cause stone bruising and soreness, especially on hard ground

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
High heels
-Contracted heels
and drives the hoofwall at the toe forward.
Under-run heels
-Can contribute to navicular and heal pain
Causes heel pain which can lead to toe first landings which leads to navicular (in that order)
and drives the hoofwall at the toe forward.
And causes flaring in the quarters.

Long toe
-Under-run heels
Nope. The toe is caused by the heels, not the other way around.
and stretched thinned sole under the front half of the foot
-Flat sole giving less support to the hoof capsule
yes to all
Too much bar
yes
Too much sole removed
And pedal osteitis, AND in extreme cases of removing too much sole(grossly invading functional sole) can lead to enough pain to cause full blown laminitis.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
High heels cause 'over at the knee' conformation and reduce/remove the ability of the 'stay aparatus' from allowing the horse to stand up without muscular work - ie he can't rest properly standing up.

<Quote:
Long toe
-Under-run heels
Nope. The toe is caused by the heels, not the other way around.>
Interesting. So your thinking is that the crushed heels push the toe forward? While I'm not convinced of the assumption many seem to have, that the long toe pulls the heels forward, I have found that the biggest 'ingredient' in treating underrun, crushed heels is to get the long toes back where they belong.

Can cause 'broken back' pastern angles and undue stress on the extensor process/P2 region and on the DDFT at the navicular - leads to 'navicular disease/syndrome'.

Imbalanced trimming causes imbalances & unhealthy stress throughout the body.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys!

Yeah, I had heard that a stretched toe leads to the hoof starting to grow forward, not really the other way round. Hm, so under run heels cause the stretched toe? I'll have to look into that, honestly, I never really put much thought into which way it went till now.

In reference to the navicular, I tried to keep it short with bullet points so it didn't end up very detailed :p
When I was reading some things it stated that the digital cushion and DDFT would be over weighted causing the actual "navicular", (which would lead to toe first landings being a side affect but not the cause of it).

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Interesting. So your thinking is that the crushed heels push the toe forward? While I'm not convinced of the assumption many seem to have, that the long toe pulls the heels forward, I have found that the biggest 'ingredient' in treating underrun, crushed heels is to get the long toes back where they belong
well we could argue the chicken or egg thing forever, but at least we are all fixing horses....:)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do I have all my ducks in a row now? :D

High heels
-Can affect leg conformation (I.E. causing a horse to be over at the knee)
-Contracted heels
Under-run heels
-Can contribute to heal pain and (depending on the severity)navicular which leads to toe first landings
-Aids in stretching the toe forward
Long toe
-Flat,thinned sole giving less support to the hoof capsule
Too much bar
Too much sole removed
-Non-septic pedal osteitis (degrading of the coffin bone caused by excessive swelling/pressure in that area) and, in extreme cases, may lead to laminites

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
When I was reading some things it stated that the digital cushion and DDFT would be over weighted causing the actual "navicular", (which would lead to toe first landings being a side affect but not the cause of it).
Perhaps another 'chicken or egg' thing & I think it depends. Of course, if the DDFT etc is stressed, or heels are otherwise sore, there's likely to be pain which will drive the horse onto it's toes. But long toes & toe first landings happen otherwise & can cause navicular region(not just the nav. bone) damage.

Patty, not wanting to argue it at all, :wink: just learn what you know that makes you think that, as I haven't heard that theory before, although it does make sense. Also re thinking how that badly underrun heel can go with/cause neg P3 angles...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Also re thinking how that badly underrun heel can go with/cause neg P3 angles...
I think Dr Bowker says that the under run heels can reduce the circulation to the digital cushion and potentially deteriorate it.
Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong in remembering it that way. I DO know that in dissections of those kind a of hooves we at the ELPO have consistently seen some serious bruising in the sole corium at the widest part of the foot under the ends of the bars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.