• Yes, but strictly regulated

Votes: 4 9.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I would want to do a lot more research into this sport to understand it before I voted. I would need to hear from both it's supporters and it's detractors to make an informed decision.

·
Registered
49,233 Posts
well, I am not sure how to feel about that. I will say that those guys are a LOT gentler than you'll see in Mexico.

I wonder why they used babies.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Our rescue had a pony who was part of several of these events. It should be outlawed. He had a dislocated hip that was irreparable. He managed to live comfortable enough on it until he was older and lost the muscle that was holding him together. He did have to be put down. :(

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I posted in another thread about this but here's my opinion.

I find the current way they do this to be sick. How can horsemen claim to like horses and then do this to them?

In any case, I can see how roping a horse would be fun, but maybe if they changed the sport and made it so they roped and the fastest time to get both ropes around the neck wins or if they rope it, and then halter/put a bareback pad on it or something and the fastest time wins...I don't know. It's not for me.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Utah Equine, You need to know the difference between horse tripping and horse roping. When you get more educated come talk.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Traditional Mexican horse tripping is roping the hinds only, not roping the neck and fronts.

Roping around the neck and then fronts and laying them is what is used for working horses to brand and doctor young stock. The Mexicans also do mangana which is the same but not to be confused with tripping.

In the video that was posted in a different thread that was supposedly with your blog showed a bald faced horse "dragged by the neck". If you actually watch the horse was not dragged, he hopped around and fell, the roper faced and gave slack as not to choke. He handled the horse properly for the situation.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm on my phone and can't view the article. And to be totally honest, I'm not too familiar with either sport, but is this not similar to calf roping? If it's cruel to rope foals, shouldn't it be the same with calves? Are the two different? I don't care for either myself, but it seems more people get outraged at foal roping than calf roping because we ride horses, whereas cows are just food livestock.

Will have to look more into it when I get to an actual computer.

ETA: I'm talking purely about sport. I understand the need to rope on a farm out of necessity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
COWCHICK77, why did the horse fall down in the first place?

Are you suggesting that one event is more humane than the other or are they all humane? (Tripping, roping or mangana) I am looking for opinions on this matter.

How do you defend horse roping as a sport?

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
COWCHICK77, why did the horse fall down in the first place?

Are you suggesting that one event is more humane than the other or are they all humane? (Tripping, roping or mangana) I am looking for opinions on this matter.

How do you defend horse roping as a sport?
Bad draw, some animals react differently to being handled whether it be cattle, horses, goats whatever.

How is horse roping any different than any other sporting event using livestock or animals?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand. Horses get hurt in many sporting events including events like racing and even showing. However, most racing tracks have a vet on call and all horses are checked prior to the race. Endurance race horses are checked periodically during the event.
As pointed out in the article, horses are not built as sturdy as cattle. They are easier to break than cattle. Also, horses usually go onto becoming riding horses which is difficult if they have been used as roping stock. This event can leave horses crippled for the rest of their lives.
All of that was explained in the article.
Did you even read it?
Why else should this event be legal?

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I'm on my phone and can't view the article. And to be totally honest, I'm not too familiar with either sport, but is this not similar to calf roping? If it's cruel to rope foals, shouldn't it be the same with calves? Are the two different? I don't care for either myself, but it seems more people get outraged at foal roping than calf roping because we ride horses, whereas cows are just food livestock.

Will have to look more into it when I get to an actual computer.

ETA: I'm talking purely about sport. I understand the need to rope on a farm out of necessity.
When you get on your computer go to YouTube and type in team roping, then type in steer busting. There is a difference. Same with horses. There is no good reason for busting.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I understand. Horses get hurt in many sporting events including events like racing and even showing. However, most racing tracks have a vet on call and all horses are checked prior to the race. Endurance race horses are checked periodically during the event.
As pointed out in the article, horses are not built as sturdy as cattle. They are easier to break than cattle. Also, horses usually go onto becoming riding horses which is difficult if they have been used as roping stock. This event can leave horses crippled for the rest of their lives.
All of that was explained in the article.
Did you even read it?
Why else should this event be legal?
I did read the article but however not everything you read on the internet is true.

UtahEquine, I will admit to be 'on the hook' about the subject as it something that hits very close to home. I deal with livestock everyday, it is my job, it is how we make a living. Livestock well being dictates my life and my well being.
We use horses to take care of cattle. They are a valuable tool to get a job done. With that said, you said in the above quote - horses that are used as roping stock are difficult to make into riding horses. This is very untrue. Think about it, why are horses roped? They are roped so they can be castrated, vaccinated, branded and halter broke. After that they are started to become ranch horses. All of our current horses have been roped and handled in the same manner. All these horses are ranging from 2-15 years old, healthy, strong and willing.
We rope our horses to catch them in the morning to go to work, not fore footed, but roped around the neck. They have learned to give to it exactly like you teach a horse to give to the halter. Yet if it is so traumatizing I wouldn't be able to walk up to pet them in a several hundred acre pasture.
All I ask is not to judge a lifestyle or sport on a 4 minute YouTube clip.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think in a ranch setting where it is necessary is different, but I have seen cattle who are being roped in rodeos break their necks, and some didn't die instantly. I have seen countless numbers of them have to hauled away on a stretcher and put down or the body be disposed of. If cattle are supposedly hardier, then isn't that gonna happen to the horses too? On the ranch, sure, as a sport? No, why do it when you don't have to, you're just taking risks with young horses lives that you don't have to.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I think it is disgusting. There is a reason why stocks were invented.

Cattle are food animals. If they get injured or break a leg, they can be rendered for meat. It is different with horses, as they are expected to be ridden. Horses are too fragile. I wonder how many of those horses will go on to have lameness problems down the road. As yearlings they are not done growing and it can leave them with permanent damage. Minor damage may not show up until years later, when that injury starts developing more and more arthritis...

Flip over injuries are known to cause pelvic injuries. There are very thick ligaments in the pelvis and if those get torn... The prognosis is poor. I would also be concerned with injuries to the head and neck.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I posted in another thread about this but here's my opinion.

I find the current way they do this to be sick. How can horsemen claim to like horses and then do this to them?

In any case, I can see how roping a horse would be fun, but maybe if they changed the sport and made it so they roped and the fastest time to get both ropes around the neck wins or if they rope it, and then halter/put a bareback pad on it or something and the fastest time wins...I don't know. It's not for me.
More likely to injure a horse with two ropes around the neck.
There is a reason for roping around the neck then front footing, it's the safest way to rope one.

Reactions: smrobs

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I think it is disgusting. There is a reason why stocks were invented.

I have seen more freak outs and wrecks in a set of stocks than roping to take care of young untouched stock. How would you go about safely castrating with the horse standing up in a set of stocks?

I wonder how many of those horses will go on to have lameness problems down the road. As yearlings they are not done growing and it can leave them with permanent damage. Minor damage may not show up until years later, when that injury starts developing more and more arthritis... .
All of our horses have been roped and handled in this manner. Some of them are well into their teens and still going strong. After they are retired from ranch work they usually go on to be kids horses or trail horses for pleasure riders.

Reactions: smrobs

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
This is a very interesting topic- I honestly have never heard of horse roping/ tripping though can tell there are differences.

I can't say too much other than although the article is interesting, it does seem to be written in a pretty biased manner. I would do some more in depth research on the subject before forming a full opinion, but in general, I believe roping (both cattle and horses) is ranch work and should be left to the pros who know what they are doing and who do it for a living. Not totally necessary for a rodeo as it is difficult to regulate some aspects.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.