The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a new used trailer but I am not a fan of ramps. I’m trying to decide if I should automatically rule out any trailers that have a ramp or if a ramp can be easily converted to a step up. Not looking for a discussion on ramp vs step up safety. But I am looking for advice on whether an outside ramp (not sure if that is the technical term or not but one that has full length doors that have to be opened after the ramp is down) can simply be removed to convert the trailer to a simple step up. I’m assuming it’s harder to convert a ramp trailer that has half doors behind the ramp. Thoughts? Advice other then learning to use a ramp? Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
14,386 Posts
I'm wondering if the steel structure of the trailer sides must be reinforced to hold the weight of hanging doors and a latch securing location.
If you go to 2 doors, you need pins to hold the doors so a leaning tush not pop the back open and discharge your horses to the road:eek: or you need a above door and below door knuckle over twist to lock one door then use the secured door to hold your other shut against.
Where the ramp is currently, now you need to offer a different surface area the horse must step up and over, cause now they can brush their limbs against when they step on or off...
How are you going to design a butt bar, secure a divider of a straight load swinging because that does now change again the super structure of the trailer.
A trailer with full length doors needs special consideration to design to the shape of the trailer, seal tight at top and still allow air flow needed so not stifling inside.

I think I would just not look at trailers needing a conversion done...buy a step up.
What it would cost you in labor, forget the materials you could put more money toward a nicer trailer the way you want it to begin with.
🐴... jmo..

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Yea, I'd be real leery of doing that much change on a trailer, I'd have to have someone look real close at the safety aspects of taking that much weight off the trailer.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
You might be able to buy a trailer with a ramp, if and only if it already has back doors that close. But you are probably better off just looking for a step up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts