The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lost my horse of 5 years to a broken leg.

I got up that morning and did a quick head count from the window 1, 2, 3 yep all still there. we had quite a bit of snow on the ground and it was still coming down like crazy. I got in the shower and I got ready for the day. I went out to feed the boys, I went to the hay shed got the first feeding tossed it over the fence to Shockie who is the boss and always gets to eat first. I went back and got the second feeding and tossed it over the fence, went and got the last feeding and on coming out was shocked to see Freddie eating what should have been Jack's hay. Jack was standing there with an anxious look on his face, I knew something was wrong. I walk to the gate and seen Jack's back leg was limp. Tears swelled in my eyes as I unhooked the gate and went in. I put the hay in front of Jack and ran my hand down his body. He was soaked in sweat and shaking. I felt down his leg but I could hear the bone crunching before I got to the spot. Tears were flooding my face, the only words coming from my mouth where I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry Jack. I ran to the house, tear still flowing. My husband was just pulling on his boots when I ran in the door. Crying hysterically trying to get the words out, but not being able to speak. He asked me what's wrong, finally I managed to say Jack, Jack broke his leg. He grabbed his coat and out the door we both went. He took one look at Jack and took me in his arms and told me how sorry he was. My husband made all the phone calls that day. Some very close family and friends came out, to help me through this. Shockie and Freddie were locked in the round pen while part of the fence was cut down and the trailer was backed up to Jack. I told him what a good horse he was and said my goodbyes I kissed his nose and left.

It's been almost 3 weeks and I'm still hurting, I know these kinds of "wounds" take time to heal, I'm just not sure how to process the pain I feel in my heart.
Shockie has been with me for 17 years and this is the first time I have seen him morn. He stands in the corner most of the day with his head down, is there something I can do for him, it kills me to see him sad.

Sorry for the long sad post, I miss my boy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Attachments

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Oh my goodness, I'm so very sorry! I'm someone you've never met, and I'm sitting here with my eyes filled with tears. I will not pretend to know how to relate to that terrible morning, but I know it could happen to any one of us as horse owners when we'd never expect. Your Jack was in pain, and you were there to sooth him. Before he left, he knew your tender loving care. Those were his last memories, and I hope you find comfort in that. Cling to the happy, sweet times with him, the funny memories, and grieve as long as you need to. Hugs and prayers sent your way :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss, I cant imagine what it must be like to have to go through that. I've owned horses all my life and never lost one like that. But I did have to put a boarded rescue mare down the night before my wedding. She had had a stroke. She wasnt mine but it literally ripped me apart inside. I was a wreck. I took comfort though that I had been there to help end her suffering, that i had given her excellent care while she was with me, and that she lived a happy few months with me. What helped me through was my husband, holding me through the process and being with supportive friends and of course being able to snuggle my horses and know that they were still with me and that they were healthy and happy.

I am probably not the best person to give advice since I have never experienced what you have gone through but sudden loss like this does need time to be processed and mourned for but also I think what helps is that you spend as much time with your other two horses as possible. I know when I am going though a rough time my horses always find a way to comfort me. And I think in a way the more time you spend with your horses, you will comfort each other.
Again please accept my sincerest condolences. :hug:

·
Super Moderator
27,067 Posts
I'm really sorry this happened.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It is always so difficult, but with the horrible trauma surrounding these circumstances doubly so. You did what was best for him and you really had no other choice.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I just lost my first gelding yesterday. I'm making his blanket into a throw pillow and having portraits done of him. Maybe you should do something similar, it has certainly helped me deal with it knowing I will have a piece of him and things to honor him.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Ohhhhhh geeezzzz that brought tears to my eyes :(
Thankfully I have not had to deal with anything like that and I am not looking forward to the day I will have to..........I am so sorry you have had that happen, it will take some time but remember all the good things and that will help you through.....

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
My condolences to you. Spend some quality time with Shockie and it will probably help both of you. Long grooming sessions, taking him out for walks, an extra flake of hay between normal feeding times and hang out with him while he eats are some of the things I can think of you can do to help him.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
So sorry you had to go thru that iloveagrey. It must have been terrible! I'll be thinking of you.

Sullysrider, thinking of you too.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Deepest condolences on your loss. Horses do mourn, too. Extra time, treats, etc. & hope you both get through the grief-it just takes time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After drying my eyes I have to say It is really hard to say good-bye... Time may not heal your loss, but it makes it easier. Hes at peace now and you did what was right for the boy. Im sure he misses you just as much. He wouldnt want you upset. Hes probably looking over your shoulder now. Remember all the good times and all the times he made you grumpy in the "naughty horse style" that you can now look back on and have a giggle once in a while thinking "cheeky horse". He was loved thats all that counts and you have others that need you too. Be strong for them xoxo My thoughts are with you xoxo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.