The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mare has recently started to cough when being ridden, usually it just sounded like she was clearing her airways but today she was breathing heavily and coughing continuously. She had a slightly runny nose but nothing to unusual and her glands are slightly swollen.
Should I call the vet or see if it passes?

Thanks x

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Call the vet. If she was just coughing with no discharge I would say, without seeing her, that it was just dust. Is the discharge clear and thin or more of the thicker yellow? If she is coughing while standing and there are other horses nearby I'd isolate her as much as possible until you can get a diagnosis from the vet. If she has some sort of viral respiratory issue that stuff spreads like crazy amongst horses.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
That would indicate more than just a simple runny nose like horses get on occasion..I'd call the vet. The quicker you catch anything the better it goes.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
My horse had something that sounds similar last year- it started out with a few globs of nasal discharge and pretty quickly turned into coughing any time I rode him faster than a walk. We tried watering his hay to cut down on dust and added AniHist to his feed at first and it continued to get worse. I switched to Cough Free and it went away within a few days (I also tried taking him off it a couple times and it came back, so I knew the CF was doing the trick). I did have my vet monitoring him to make sure it wasn't an infection (and didn't develop into one).

I was able to stop the supplement sometime in October without him going back to coughing (good thing since he started refusing to eat it!) We thought it was seasonal allergies, but it didn't come back this year.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My horse had something that sounds similar last year- it started out with a few globs of nasal discharge and pretty quickly turned into coughing any time I rode him faster than a walk. We tried watering his hay to cut down on dust and added AniHist to his feed at first and it continued to get worse. I switched to Cough Free and it went away within a few days (I also tried taking him off it a couple times and it came back, so I knew the CF was doing the trick). I did have my vet monitoring him to make sure it wasn't an infection (and didn't develop into one).

I was able to stop the supplement sometime in October without him going back to coughing (good thing since he started refusing to eat it!) We thought it was seasonal allergies, but it didn't come back this year.
The same thing happened to my mare. She would cough and cough and even out in the field if it was over a walk she'd cough. The vet said to try cough free and it went away and didn't come back this year either. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
My mare would do something similar last summer when it was so hot and dry/dusty- she'd cough during warm ups (no discharge) and then settle down, the vet claimed she had COPD...

So how does cough free work? Does it work like an antihistamine, or anti-inflammatory?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Where can you get the Cough Free product? I would be willing to try that for my mare who is coughing and having a breathing problem (had talked about this on another thread) but id like to get my hands on that stuff ;)

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I would get a vet's diagnosis before trying any home treatment. The last thing I want to hear is, "You should have called sooner."

·
Registered
334 Posts
Vet only comes to my town on tuesdays so he will come to the barn tuesday afternoon and i will start the cough free tuesday after the vet has come. Turns out someone else boarding there has the cough free and she will let me try it :)

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I was able to find it at my local feed store, but it was cheaper at SmartPak.com

·
Registered
334 Posts
Oki well since im from Canada i was trying to find a canadian place to order and apparantely they sell some at Greenhawk but not on their website so if it really works i will try to call them and order a tub :) i also saw some on ebay!

Saddlebag, she is never inside, always outside 24/7 and she's 6 yrs old which is why im having a hard time believing it could be heaves since this usually happens to horses who are inside a barn all the time or older horses.........but hey, nothing is impossible

·
Registered
33 Posts
My mare has recently started to cough when being ridden, usually it just sounded like she was clearing her airways but today she was breathing heavily and coughing continuously. She had a slightly runny nose but nothing to unusual and her glands are slightly swollen.
Should I call the vet or see if it passes?

Thanks x
Can you see her sides heaving? Is she in the stable on hay/straw? She could be having a reaction to dust, where the spores attack her lungs. She might just need a dose of ventipulmin which is only available from the vet

·
Registered
334 Posts
If by heaving you mean breathing deep in the flank then yes a little. She outside all the time and is on round bales. I bought her may 2012 so i've had her for a year and she's been to the same place since, never moved. She was fine last summer, it only started on July 17. I rode her July 15 and she was perfectly fine, breathing normal and everything.

Where i board they always give round bales in the field ive got no control over that And yep Vet is coming tomorrow so i will ask him whatever we can try to make her feel and breath better! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.