The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even sure where to start. MANY of you may of read stuff/ heard sstuff about Sunny. Recently, He has started crossfiring and become a bit stiff.. ON certain days. I have only been working him light: Trotting for 10 minutes and walking about 15 around my pasture and then done riding.

I am thinking about getting the chiropractor out for him.. It would cost $70 for the Initial Exam ( not doing any work on him- just checking him out) and then $45 for a farm call. Then more $$ for what work needs to be done( after we would go over pricing and everything of course)

I have decided to pay for anything except feed for Sunny unless an emergency, which my dad has offered to help with.( Im only 16)..

So would/ could a visit from a chiroprator help with issues Sunny has? Stiffness going into leads, left lead being off, and maybe with a weaker hind end? ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
To answer the subject line generally, yes absolutely. But of course depends what's wrong, whether it's osteo, how old the horse, etc. Seen some fantastic results, even in mature horses that had sacro problems from birth trauma. I don't know if it's a general thing, but over here, like farriery, horse dentists, etc, 'horse chiropractics' isn't regulated(!) & I would be making sure to use a veterinary chiro or whatever the equivalent well qualified professional.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Honestly, you need to take him to a good equine vet.

While chiro might help? You don't know exactly what is wrong, and that needs to be addressed first.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ The person that would be out to see him is ALSO an equine vet:)

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
33 Posts
You should look into a disease called EPM... It killed my old gelding this year and one of our best stallions. It's a disease spread through the feces of possums and can get into your horse literally just about anytime they come in contact with grass or water that isnt controlled by humans... The left side being off and a weaker hind end sound alarming to me... EPM slowly paralyzes the horse - can only be detected by blood work but if your horse is old enough it can kill him. My gelding was 23 and the stallion we had was 18... Had another stallion test positive but he is only 13. Our vet said that since he's not as old, his immune system may be fighting it off for now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not trying to scare you, just want others to be aware... We had no clue what was getting our horses until a REALLY good vet suggested it... EPM is often mistaken for other neurological issues in horses - such as a pinched nerve or what have you.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
^^ Want to add that not just EPM, but Lyme also could be a possibility (although my vet said that Lyme is often accompanied by the change of personality). So when your vet shows up ask to do blood tests for those!

Good luck! Hope nothing serious with your horse!

·
Registered
33 Posts
^^ Yeah, thats a possibility too! EPM usually starts in the rear end tho, that's what made me think of that... Have you witnessed him kinda stumbling in the rear or has he fallen anytime recently? I really wasnt trying to scare you, but sometimes with treatment horses can be saved... I wish I had known that with my gelding. I had him for nearly 15 years... Got him when I was like 6 and I loved that boy! It was tough losing him. And when I did more research and realized how mistaken EPM often is, I wanted more horse owners to be aware of what EPM is and what its symptoms are because catching it decently early is one of the only things that could help your horse..

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Nicole, I've seen horses that had EPM and recovered. So that's something that can be addressed (same stands for Lyme too BTW). :) The key is to diagnose it early enough and start the treatment.

And barrelbeginner, I understand it may sound very scary, however wait till you have vet out and he'll give his diagnosis, because all of us are just giving you different options (which is nothing but guessing). BTW, it also may be just arthritis (my horse developed couple months ago - scared me to death).

In any case keep us informed, please!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. You do have me a bit scared now. I don't have tons of money to spend on Blood work. My dad wouldn't really be willing to pay for that either.. Yes He kinda trips in the back end sometimes. But I have figured its because of hock issues( my vet said something like that as well.) he doesn't correctly pick himself up.

Any more info on this? Can I get a video of him walking and you guys let me know?

I would have to find my charger for camera first though..

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
BB, video would be nice.

BTW, I was thinking about bloodwork when my horse became lame, and my vet (I know him for years) said he doesn't see a need for it, because to him it's an obvious arthritis (which wasn't such a huge surprise given her conformation faults :( ). However the treatment (IV shots) my horse got was pricey.

With that being said if it's just mild case of arthritis for your horse (you said he's just stiff, mine was lame) then supplements and proper warm-up (and some other gadgets like, say, Back on Track hock wraps I'm using right now on my horse) may be enough to keep it under control. So don't panic BEFORE you know what's going on. :wink:

Reactions: barrelbeginner

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. I researched the EPM, I don't like by any oppusums lol? but I will for sure bring it up when I get the vet out.

Also, what is lyme.

AND.. My horse is only 6. I don't really know if arthritis could be? in his neck> I was thinking about buying those hock boots( do they work).. and also. His neck pops.. So Im thinking less of a brain thing.. more of a bone or whatever thing lol:)???

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
BB, my horse is 9 (so is rather young still), and she has arthritis in both hocks. CLP's horse is 6 (like yours), and she's been dealing with arthritis in him too (and was very helpful when I posted here in panic :wink: ). Check out my own thread on that: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/back-track-hock-boots-279273/

Please, wait to panic and/or spend any money before you get a word from a vet. :) Again, it can be something rather innocent (as I think about it -may be- even bad trim!).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.