The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really worried, as of the past two or three days Darya had started cribbing when I scratched her back. Normally that's one of her favorite spots for me to scratch, but this is a new thing. She doesn't crib any other time! I haven't been riding her lately, but I know she does a ton of bucking in the pasture whenever she's out. I've also taken into consideration that it's been stormy the past week or so and I'm worried she could've fallen and hurt herself. :sad:

I've palpated her back and she doesn't show much reaction in the area that I was scratching (lumbar vertebrae area) other than maybe a slight flinch and some tightening in her mouth (no pinned ears, tail swishing or anything else), but if I scratch that area she goes right into trying to crib or stretching her neck waay out and biting at the air.

Do you think it's back pain and is there anything I could do that could help her out? I'm going to call a family friend who does chiropractic and vet work tomorrow and see if she feels the need to check Ary out, but I'm really concerned right now and I know it might take awhile before I can get my friend to see her.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Are you sure it's not just the normal mutual grooming response? When itched many horses will make "duck lips", stretch their necks, bite at the air, rub their lips on the nearest object, etc.

If you horse isn't a cribber it's likely not cribbing.
My thoughts are the same.

·
Administrator
35,822 Posts
When my horses have an 'itch' and I scratch it for them their response is to react with their own mouths and teeth as if they were the ones doing the scratching - that isn't cribbing, cribbing is when a horse grabs on something, pulls back on it and sucks air
I don't think your horse has a back problem

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Since she knows she's not allowed to groom me, my mare will chomp the air when I find a good spot to scratch and occasionally, will also chew on other things if they are in reach. I think what's mentioned is right - mutual grooming response and she just so happens to be choosing the fence. Cribbing is a compulsive behaviour, so if she isn't doing it at any other time, I think you're fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I felt really silly asking this question, but honestly that's the first time I've ever seen a horse do that! :lol:

Now that I really think about it, the mosquitos have been terrible since the rain and it seems like the mosquitos in my city are immune to every fly spray you can imagine. I'm assuming they may have gotten to her if she's just enjoying a scratch. Looks like I might have to invest in a fly sheet this year (Hopefully she doesn't try to destroy it. She loves ripping up her winter blankets :icon_rolleyes:).

I still have call the vet out though, when I went out to the barn this afternoon she was full on limping! Something's going on with her front right leg, but there's no clear sign of any injury. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing at this point, but I feel so worried that I can't even sleep. Please keep Ary and me in your thoughts! :sad:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Here's to hoping the lameness is nothing major... :(

You want major head movement and crazy faces- scratch her belly button or her teats... my mares goes nuts- head stretched out like she is apple picking, lips going crazy, this morning she lifted her leg so I could get in there better for her. She will even move back and forth to get my hand exactly where she wants it, if I don't quite get the spot. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Lameness was caused by a tendon strain and a hoof abscess. Darya's now on stall rest and learning to be patient while I'm soaking her feet (and oh what a challenge it is, she hates getting her feet & legs wet). After a day of soaking and poultices, she's already improving!

I'm really glad it was nothing serious, but not so happy because I won't be able to start riding again until next month! :(
Thanks again everyone! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts