The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gidgit has almost had a month of recovery with some light bareback riding. I've been riding her lightly when she seems not to be in pain which she seems to be doing a lot better but some days she is sore in spots. I don't really trot her. I have the past couple days justy to see how she is doing and today she trotted by herself and I let her...seemed fine but when I asked her we started going and she tossed her head to the side and bucked me off! So I'm wondering what is going on. Could she be sore and if so then why does she seem pain free when she wants to trot?
Some guy told me(he looked at her teeth last night and she has a few baby wolf teeth that are coming through and said she is 4-5 years old instead of 7-8 years as I was told by the guy that sold us her.
So if she is that young than I'm wondering if her back has any permanent damage. Oh and the guy I got her from is heavier..like 300 lbs. My horse weighs about 1100 and is 14.2 hands.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Jesus, 300lbs? Have you had a chiro out on her?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jesus, 300lbs? Have you had a chiro out on her?

I had the vet come out. Says she is specialized in all animals and acupuncture. She said that it is temporary BUT I told her she was older than what I found out....she is that young,has a SLIGHT dip in her back. I'm not worried about my self being but for my horse. I want to keep her for she was my x-mas present. I was wanting to use her for barrels but maybe I should just have for halter? She has a nice little build to her.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Could be ulcers, could be muscle soreness, could be a lot of things. If she is able to, I would recommend trying to lunge her and see how she moves without a rider on her. You should get a chiropractor out as well to look at her back. Her heavier rider at a young age could have easily done something to her back. When she is ready to ride again as deemed by the chiropractor, you should do lots of two point to stay off her back for a while and focus on keeping her balanced, relaxed, and reaching.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been doing a lot of groundwork with her..such as lunging and she has an attitude about it only because she likes to do it her way. She has a sore neck but it is fine now. She sometimes bucks when lunging but thats it.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet never told me. Someone looked at her teeth and saw her little wisdom teeth coming in...I am finding a new vet and will ask how old they think she is. I am totally lost feeling at times because people tell me different stuff ALL the time.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
When she trotted by herself, I would have checked her back straight away and made her walk. Then once she had walked under your aids, then I would have asked for the trot. Do you let her get away with things like this all the time? Once you've had her back and teeth checked (again). I might reccomend getting her saddle checked, although you said you were riding bareback. But maybe that might help solve the problem. When shes lunging and she bucks, does she pull you from your place, if she does then this is a behavior issue, I let my horse have little bucks on the lunge as long as the pysically don't move me out of my place. If everythings checked and shes perfectly sound could you get an experianced rider to hop on her and make sure you are giving her all the correct aids, because you may be confusing her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.