The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a white horse before and i was wondering if people cover their white horses in the summer with fly sheets or cotton covers to help with burn/ prevent cancerous growths pooping up down the line etc?

Also said white horse is carrying quite a bit of weight so i have been told. Hes never given extra feed unless hes not getting enough from pasture, or if i take him out of particularly long rides/ if i'm supplementing something. Hes heavy in the bone though and his breed is that of a solid horse. So how much do i put it down to breed and how much is weight? Once again i've never had a heavy breed so my eye might not be that good for this sort of thing.

Thanks!

here he is:

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
My paint gelding is almost completely white except for a few small patches of colour. He has a very fine coat but luckily has no issues with sun burn on his body area. He does wear a full face mask year round though as his face burns very easily. I don't bother with a summer rug/fly sheet as last summer he was always sweating under a very light one and I didnt like that I was taking away the natural ability to keep himself cool. Your horse would probably be fine without on, may need a mask or sunscreen for his nose though.
His weight looks ok, could maybe lose a little - he's very cute!

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Since your horse is gray, he will have dark skin under the white fur so sunburn shouldn't be an issue. There's definitely a link between gray horses and skin cancer, but I don't believe sun exposure increases the risk/occurrence.

He doesn't look terribly overweight to me, either, but a hands-on assessment with the Henneke scale would be the best way to determine body condition.

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
I think your horse looks fine weight wise. I'd like to see him more fit and muscled. I like to keep a sheet or fly sheet on my white or grey horses. I feel better about not exposing them to the sun. I would put sunscreen on your horses nose if he show signs of sunburn there.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Since your horse is gray, he will have dark skin under the white fur so sunburn shouldn't be an issue. There's definitely a link between gray horses and skin cancer, but I don't believe sun exposure increases the risk/occurrence.

He doesn't look terribly overweight to me, either, but a hands-on assessment with the Henneke scale would be the best way to determine body condition.
This, he is grey not white. His skin color effects burnability not his hair. (He may want some sunscreen or a flymask on that nose though, but I've never had an issue).

So don't cover him purely due to his color as that won't make a difference.

A true white horse or a horse with a gene that will give them pink skin is different though.

I do think he looks a tad round but do look up the Henneke scale, you can't tell just by looking.

He's very handsome.

·
Registered
464 Posts
so my Bandit was "whiter" than yours. Like everyone keeps saying, he's gray, not white. Skinburn ought not be a problem. I had Bandit in South Florida, and there's nowhere like that for sun. He was fine. Had a brain tumor in his late twenties, but nothing else, ever. If your horse has white markings, there may be sensitivity there, but I wouldn't worry over much.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the replies! i use a sunblock powder for his pink nose and i only cover him with a sheet if i take him to a ribbon day :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have loud colored paints & grey QH I do not put anything on them . The pink noses I monitor for sunburn & apply a sunscreen barrier when needed:). I also have to watch my white legged horses for scratches{have one mare prone to that}. It is the fair skinned horses you have to be more concerned with,your horse is grey,haircoat may be grey/white looking but underlying skin would be dark with the exception of under any white markings:wink:.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
My old Arab was completely white (Grey haha) and he did end up getting melenomas but covering him up wasnt option and wouldn't have made a difference.
984e6bfd3a4bf4c613a9757d48060604_full (1).jpg 58cf83c13845b5095383c33624e87a59_full (1).jpg

Your guy should be fine. Just be vigilant

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like everyone else said he's gray. It's not the color of the hair that matters, it's the color of the skin underneath. I have only ever worried about noses (not matter what the color of the body is).
I just look at all my horse's noses everyday and see how they are and if they're sunburned. If they are, I do a mixture of sunscreen, a numbing agent/antibiotic, and aloe vera gel.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We have an appy gelding who started life who knows what color, but is a VERY whited out grey now with 90%+ pink skin. He is ~16 years old. We only got him in October, but definitely he was not very kid-glove handled because of being white with pink skin.
He is fine. His nose area looks a bit rough at times during the summer; the old owner said, so she put sunscreen on him and made sure he had trees to go in if needed. His summer coat also seems quite thin, but again, he seems fine. :)

Funnily enough, his winter coat is very thick compared to our bay mustang and buttermilk buckskin. I can only assume it is nature's way of taking care of the horse who can't absorb the sun's heat as well on such a pale coat. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have not one but two with pink skin (yeay for me)....not everywhere but definitely something I am careful with. My solution is baby sunblock :) Their backs etc aren't the issue...but sunburned noses can be.

Your horse is def grey...and should not pose an issue.

·
Administrator
35,694 Posts
Only the pink skinned will suffer with sunburn - though all horses need shade from the hot sun just as we do
Greys are more prone to melanomas but they aren't (as far as I now) related to sun exposure. They can appear anywhere including inside the mouth but the underside of the dock is a common starting place
I don't think the horse is overweight - he looks like an Irish draft type and will never be a slender TB

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I do not believe gray horse melanomas are related to sun exposure, it is just a genetic risk with owning a gray horse.

I love grays! I have/had three so I'm very partial to them. :D

I just wanted to say he is so darn handsome! I love, love, love his heavy bone and nice big feet and nice sturdy conformation. I wish there were more horses built like him in Arizona! That is pretty close to my dream horse you have there. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
He's a beauty! I wouldn't worry too much about his skin. He seems fine. As far as his weight goes, he looks to me like he just needs some exercise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts