The Horse Forum banner

Cow sorting for the first time - LOVED it!

1825 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jenkat86
Last Friday, I got to go cow sorting with my gelding!! I showed up to the barn and said to him, "I know your a cow horse, prove it." And boy did he ever! He was iffy at first (hadn't been in an arena of worked cattle in 2 years, cause I was never able to take him), but when it was our turn he willingly walked into the herd like no problem. I got 1 practice go, and got 2 out of a herd of 10 I think.. And my first jackpot go I got 3, and the second time I got 4!!! I was so proud of him! But I want to do better! If you guys have any tips or want to share your experiences go ahead! I can't wait to go again in 2 weeks! Me and ****** have tried to do lots of disciplines, but I think this is our knack! It's so quite and calm, yet exhilarating!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
956 Posts
That's awesome! My mare and I are also going sorting on Wednesday. We've never been before, do you have any advice?

· Registered
956 Posts
Good advice! :) my friend that I was going to go with cancelled on me, so now i'm torn. I really badly want to go, but I won't know anyone and my mare and I both have zero experience. Its only $5 a run though so thats hard to beat for the experience...

· Registered
15,208 Posts
That sounds like a bucket of fun!

· Registered
1,563 Posts
Good advice! :) my friend that I was going to go with cancelled on me, so now i'm torn. I really badly want to go, but I won't know anyone and my mare and I both have zero experience. Its only $5 a run though so thats hard to beat for the experience...
Go. You won't regret it. If anything your mare can get some good experience standing around the cattle and such.

I've gone to sortings by myself a few times. Each time I met new people to ride with and had a great time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.