The Horse Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your problem is in the mechanics of the trim. The shape of the foot is causing constant pressure on those parts of the foot that are cracked. Until you get a decent trim you will not get rid of the crack no matter what you feed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Your problem is in the mechanics of the trim. The shape of the foot is causing constant pressure on those parts of the foot that are cracked. Until you get a decent trim you will not get rid of the crack no matter what you feed.
Agreed.

To O P my question is why do you ask for advice on the crack in the foot when you don't want to listen to what people are telling you.

You keep saying you don't want whole foot critique please don't ask for help then turn it down when you get help.

I believe Loosie has given you great advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ok anvil I did ask for advice on what supplements I didnt ask for a critique of the foot but once I showed a picture thats what I got. If I wanted a critique I would have asked for it. There is great advice and I appriciate it and have read it all.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought Farnam Super 14. I actually just posted about it in another thread. It's for skin and coat, but the people at the shop have had the most amazing results with hooves. They had Farrier's Formula there as well, but they preferred the Super 14. I'm giving a shot...let you know what I figure out!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ive talked to the lady I got him from and hes had the same crack for 8 years if not more. So I dont even now if anything can be done since its been so long
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
22,809 Posts
Ive talked to the lady I got him from and hes had the same crack for 8 years if not more. So I dont even now if anything can be done since its been so long
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, that nothing much can likely be done, regardless of length of time(that shouldn't necessarily have a bearing), if you're only going to try addressing it with supplements. I believe I & others have already also told you our advice on supplements. I think feedxl.com is a great program for easily working out what your horse is short of/needing. It's relatively pointless to ask people about specific supplements, when our situations are all different & it depends on what they're already getting. For eg. a horse that gets no green forage may well need biotin supplemented, but for many horses, that would be pointless.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well my farrier really isnt offering much assistance either? I am not just addressing it with supplements omg he does get trimmed and I have tried talking to my farrier about what else might need done and I talked to the vet who is the one that stated the low thyroid and said if he isnt loosing that I might need to get him tested. So yes I am and have been trying
to do all I can to hopefully better his feet and ive tried calling other farriers and my vet is going to call me back monday to discuss the thyroid thing. right now he is on pasture with a grazing muzzle on 24/7 unless im riding my bosses horse or im playing with bob.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ladybugsgirl
I don't want to push you into another farrier but may you have to check into another farrier.

For your information I was called out to trim a horse that had
Both front feet looking exactly like your horse's foot.

With proper trimming that horse's feet are totally looking normal now but it took about a year and a half to get them there.
This horse is on pasture 24/7 and no extra supplements as far as i'm aware of.

That being said I hope you can make the right decisions for your horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would check into a different farrier. Even out his angles and take the pressure of the crack, and maybe even corrective shoeing can help that.

I know you asked about supplements, and although supplements always help, so supplement will fix that.

In the meantime, I suggest Biotin and some topical hoof dressing, whilst getting the trim job corrected. Mind, this will take several months to even out.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
It doesn't matter how long that has been there or what information you are asking for..... This is the truth of the matter no matter how you look at it...Once you can accpt this, you can begin to treat it properly and in an informed manner.

That nasty crack is the direct result of two things. Improper trimming for that horse and a secondary infection. Supplements are not going to help all by themselves. Treating the root causes of the crack is the only thing that will ultimately make this grow out.

First the trim. All the stress must be removed from that crack. This means trimming at least once a month by someone who understands hoof mechanics and knows how to apply a proper trim with a bevel, not a dub.

Second, the infection. That foot should be treated with White ligtning or something that will kill any infection in that crack as it grows out. I would probably open it up to the air as much as I felt comfortable doing so it can be treated at least weekly till it is gone.

a good diet will help grow in healthy horn but you still must treat the cause of the crack or it will just keep traveling upward.

Lastly, this is NOT the result of this horses breed although his diet may be contributing. Even a fat draft horse can have beautiful tight unflaired feet. I know. I have trimmed a bunch of them and even fixed worse problems than this.

There ya go. If you want a trim critique so you can be informed of what this particular horse needs to grow that crack out, youll need to post pictures with the proper views. You just might learn something new ;)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I just came out and took of muzzle and weigh taped bob and hes lost almost 100 pounds he looks really good. Ill try to upload a pic
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thank you all for the tips. Sorry its just stressing me out since my farrier seems to think nothing can be done. I have email a farrier and gonna call some others tomorrow and will ses if they can properly fix the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
22,809 Posts
I just bought Farnam Super 14. I actually just posted about it in another thread. It's for skin and coat, but the people at the shop have had the most amazing results with hooves.
:lol:I wonder why? What do you reckon hooves are made of?:wink:

·
Super Moderator
22,809 Posts
Thank you all for the tips. Sorry its just stressing me out since my farrier seems to think nothing can be done.
Yeah, gathered that, no worries! I find it's extremely difficult to fix a problem using the same logic that created it, which may be why your farrier thinks it's unfixable! But like I said, I wouldn't be willing to make any sort of judgement on your farrier from the little info we have. Sorry to harp on it, but that's why I think educating yourself is so important - you will have a better idea about what is needed & if your current 'expert' is/can provide it, rather than just going blindly with the flow... which may be the wrong direction.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Sorry for the delays. ive had bob on hoof supplements and he just got his tootsies done and the crack is darn near gone. Ill get pictures tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

41 - 56 of 56 Posts