The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post some of the crazy/weird/funny things you have done/do/did with horses!
This is all I can think right now that I have done.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had to stand on a horse too eventually ^_^
It was fun!

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
hmmm...saddle up in the middle of the yard with just a halter with a leadrope not tied to anything with a mare that didnt like to stand still....worked out fine though. I'm sure theres more, but i'm to tired now,lol.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
When I was much younger, growing up on 40 acres of land, I never had my own horse.

There was an APHA breeder in my area, who bred beautiful paints out of his award winning stud named Mr. Willy Nelson. All his Mares and younglin's would be in this HUGE massive pasture by our house all Spring, Summer and Fall - and I would quite frequently be over there giving the lucky one's apples and carrots *lucky meaning I didn't have 50 apples to share, only a few*

Here's the "crazy" part.......

I started to ride the "bigger" one's without stopping and thinking "Is this horse broke?" "Is this horse safe?" etc, etc.

I made makeshift halter/bridles out of clothes wire *the blue plastic stuff* and would walk up to a horse, put it on and hopped on and rode for hours.

I certainly had a guardian angle hanging around, because A) I was very young B) Hopping on strange horses with know knowledge or thought to their training

I trail rode for hours in that huge massive pasture - I'm lucky I didn't get hurt, or shot off by the owner..or caught for that matter.

I was 9? Somewhere around there....

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I walked under my Norman's belly once. I'm such a rebel. :wink:

My mom was doing his bridle path one day and for some goofy reason, she only had him on one cross tie. He was standing diagonally and his big tooshy was plugging up the whole isle. I had my hands full with Vic's tack and I needed to get to the other side where Vic was cross tied. So I put the saddle on Normy's back and snuck under his belly. Norman probably didn't even notice. lol

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I know someone that has had their horse light on fire :0 haha but it was all ok, the hrose wasnt even freaked out.
haha i havent done that, my horse would hold a grudge if i let her light on fire!
i tryed standing on her back, but i think the craziest one was the day that i bought her (i hadnt ever ridden her) i got on bareback and bridless. haha ive olled off my horse (like a summersault down the saddle) haha my poor horse, i tortue her with love and my weirdness everyday

·
Registered
160 Posts
I rode both my mares like an indian! You just grab some mane, slip right, further andfurther, until you can't be seen. like the Plains Indians durng war. I can do it at a full gallop! Yeah, I'm stupid:)

·
Registered
470 Posts
When I was much younger, growing up on 40 acres of land, I never had my own horse.

There was an APHA breeder in my area, who bred beautiful paints out of his award winning stud named Mr. Willy Nelson. All his Mares and younglin's would be in this HUGE massive pasture by our house all Spring, Summer and Fall - and I would quite frequently be over there giving the lucky one's apples and carrots *lucky meaning I didn't have 50 apples to share, only a few*

Here's the "crazy" part.......

I started to ride the "bigger" one's without stopping and thinking "Is this horse broke?" "Is this horse safe?" etc, etc.

I made makeshift halter/bridles out of clothes wire *the blue plastic stuff* and would walk up to a horse, put it on and hopped on and rode for hours.

I certainly had a guardian angle hanging around, because A) I was very young B) Hopping on strange horses with know knowledge or thought to their training

I trail rode for hours in that huge massive pasture - I'm lucky I didn't get hurt, or shot off by the owner..or caught for that matter.

I was 9? Somewhere around there....
Oh WOAW :shock:
You indeed MUST be very lucky!!
That could indeed go bad so easily..

·
Registered
470 Posts
just small stuff like riding my horse with just a halter on lol
im not too adventurous
Me with just the head set :p
(I just dont know the name.. but it has the bit and everything)

I guess I'm not that adventurous either hehe :lol:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used to ride my best friend's amazing little pony called Murphy. http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t53/i_lurve_cheese/Riding at Melons FEB/13012008740.jpg
He was a 13.2hh ConnemaraXHighland Pony and he was mad. Unforunatly he was put down due to severe colic in the summer of 2008, but he was an amazing little pony.

I used to ride him, helmet less, back and forth from the field without ever having to worry about my safety. I would do various acrobatics [standing on his back ect.] on him in the field while he was grazing [i once forward rolled off him, haha] and he wouldn't bat an eyelid. I used to try and ride side saddle on him as well out on hacks and would lie back with my head on his bum.

My and my best friend always try and see how long we can hold hands or link arms for on a hack before we break apart. I also used to walk underneath Sinbad when i was younger. None of these are very crazy, but they are not entirely safe, haha. I've never tried anything crazy on Dougal. He's crazy enough that i don't have too, haha.

·
Chat Moderator
3,744 Posts
I cycled my lever action rifle off my horse's back without preparing him for it at all. He was not too upset of it but he was not happy either. A Marlin 336A in 30/30 if youwant to know.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I decided to groom my loan pony bareback and turned round to do his back end when he decided to go for a couple of laps round his stable so I rode him backwards.
One stupid thing I did was go riding in Tunisia without a helmet on a strange horse with unrecommended riding group so I went galloping across beaches etc helmetless and on a horse with crap tack and fortunatly got the best behaved one.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some more things I do:
Slide off Romeo's rump
Jump around them
Walk under him
Stood up on another horse (I was in a saddle and younger)

I will think of some more things I have done...
They aren't coming to me right now though.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
When I was around 5, there was some horses in the pasture next to ours that would stand next to the fence and me and my brother use to get on them. When I was 7 I got an unbroke colt I had at the time, but I just sat there for a moment.

The stupidest thing I ever did was let my siblings tie me to a horse (I was probably around 5 then to) w/ some hay sting and my jacket, I ended up sliding down her side and rode there til my jacket ripped. Never tried that again.

I can't think of anything else I would call 'crazy', just silly kid stuff.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well, I've done the usual stuff like slid off her butt, stand up on her back, use her as a couch, walk around backward, and lie in the grass next to her grazing. But I guess the craziest thing I've ever done with my horse was hop on her in the 100+ acre pasture with nothing at all (no halter, helmet, etc.) and go cantering up hills. Which was a blast!

Oh and I totally used to try and ride random horses in pasture with no tack. Except I was too short to get up. =( Those horses were angels though!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought of some more
I have ridden "Sidesaddle" Bareback (Rode sideways)
Laid down on horses
Rode backwards
I was carrying around a bag on Romeo and making noise (That could have been bad, thank god my boy is calm! lol)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
ive jumped 'sidesaddle' in a western saddle & bareback.

jumped double & sat in back on a hot mare...haha that didnt end well so we did it again...that didnt go well either..

rode a pretty wild mare all the time bareback & barefoot & with just a rope or a halter & lead rope. got run away with a lot. jumped what ever there was, including picnic tables.

ive ridden on the road barefoot & bareback with no helmet & galloped.

stood on their back at w/t/c with varying success...

ridden quadruple haha

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
My sister and I used to jump double on my mom's big anglo arab gelding bareback ( one of the jumps were about 3 1/2 feet) when we were about 5 and 6.

My folks were divorced and when were were at dad's (Mom kept her horses there for about 7 years after the divorce) we had very little supervision as he would have to work and leave us with our older sister who never did watch us...

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These are just some of the pictures I found of Romeo putting up with my crap!

^Sliding off his rump

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.