The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was my crazy barrels run on my friends Paint/Arabian, Tobi, (from october i have gotten alot better with this horse since then)I absolutely love riding this horse because she is a challenge and she has a crazy mind of her own lol but shes a good girl. keep in mind this was only my second time in the arena with this horse she is totally different outside the arena
:D:D

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You need to get out of her face. Being in her face needs to mean something, and you're consistently pulling her reins back.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
What the heck are you yelling at her for, that seems like nothing but distracting and unnecessary? Get out of her mouth and on your butt and off those stirrups and you wont lose your balance.

Yup, she looks like your run of the mill over run barrel horse to me, hot at the beginning, head up and hollow, no rate or pocket, just running around a barrel...

Not being rude, just observing.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
All i am going to say is please, please stop gameing and get some lessons to solidify your position, and ditch whoever it is that lets their horses get that hot and fizzed up before a race, and encourages you to yell at them around the barrel, and pushes you to game at this point in your riding.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Don't stop gaming, just get some more lessons with a good trainer and you will be great.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Sorry, put that wrong. I don't mean stop gameing forever - I mean stop gameing for now, while you work on solidifying your position. From what I see, you are nowhere near ready to be riding at these speeds - And it takes a lot of experience to be comfortable going slow and steady at a gameing comp (Trust me, I know!).

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Barrel horses aren't born with crazy minds. They develop crazy minds after years and years of successive pattern racing with riders who don't seem to think they need to bother doing any training, or anything really at all aside from slam into their backs and yank on their faces.

This is indeed a crazy run. Stop riding untrained animals. The grey you were riding in the critiques is a MUCH nicer barrel horse. But he WILL turn into this mare if you continue on this path. It's only a matter of time before the lack of training and common sense burns a horses mind and teaches him one thing - run for your life.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I never understand people who let their horses get like that. Wouldn't it make for a nicer, more comfortable ride if they aren't hopping all over the shop?

It happens in MG too - I can stand my horses toes on the line while waiting for the flag and always get a better start than those whose horses are spinning, rearing and hopping around!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
The fact that I took three 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd out of 10 events at a gymkhana on a horse that has never gamed a day in her life against "trained" barrel racers and reiners kind of speaks for itself I think. :-|

I swear, my goal with Jynx is to prove to this region that a barrel horse can walk calmly into a ring on a loose rein and still whup your neurotic mess of a horse.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I Know!

I loved standing starts on Wildey - He would stand still as a statue, but he was like sitting on a coiled spring - Every muscle was waiting for the flag, and if I moved an inch he would jump a little, but as long as we were still... Then boom, he would be off like a rocket. And then Lynda would get on him and he would stand on a loose rein and trot off like he was 30yo. lol.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
The fact that I took three 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd out of 10 events at a gymkhana on a horse that has never gamed a day in her life against "trained" barrel racers and reiners kind of speaks for itself I think. :-|

I swear, my goal with Jynx is to prove to this region that a barrel horse can walk calmly into a ring on a loose rein and still whup your neurotic mess of a horse.
Amen sista!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I agree with wild_spot, it is much nicer to have a calm comfortable horse at the start. I used to do MG as well. My little mare would stand at the line like she was asleep while everyone else's ponies were rearing and spinning around, and she was always first off the line in a race. She gamed for 10 years and never got hot.

What I really noticed about the mare in the video is that she is terribly stiff. If she settled down and put her head down, and actually stretched her legs out I'm sure she'd be running much better times. She really needs to go back to walking and trotting the barrels before putting on some speed. I think it would do the rider some good to do the same.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The guy I use to help me out constantly qualifies for regionals/nationals and has made top tens almost every year. His horses aren't insane - they aren't allowed to be either. They have to walk in, stand, lope some circles and then they go. If it's an alley, they have to walk right up to the exit, stand quietly, then the go back, and run out.

Why? Because then he can sell them to amateurs and beginners and they'll have a safe horse.

He also walks, trots and lopes the pattern at home, and they're taught to run both ways. They also trail ride them a lot on some pretty rough trails.

So it's possible - it's just hard to find!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Oh...jeez. Crazy is right, for sure.

That horse needs slow work around barrels and lots of it, forget the fast stuff - that's not what makes a good barrel horse!! Perfect your turns and balance before you pick up speed. Barrel racing is not just "running around 3 barrels really fast" there is SO much more to it than that.

There were a few times I thought you were going to fall off. This just looked like a disaster waiting to happen. You don't need to be riding barrel horses, I think you should get lessons before you even try to. That horse is clearly not fully trained for barrel racing (I wouldn't even call that semi-trained for barrel racing) and it needs a rider that can train and guide it through the pattern without losing it's head. Nice try, good job staying on, but for now you should probably stay off.

This wasn't meant to be rude, it seems to come across that way but I truly don't know how else to put it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My dad's old horse, was actually my friend's national champion barrel racer for quite a few years before we got him, and he was never wild eyed and crazy. He would walk into that arena like he was half asleep, run the pattern, whoop everyone's butts, and then walk out half asleep again. He was a great horse, and even at 35 years old he was still running barrels and having a blast, granted at a MUCH slower speed than in his younger days. It was always a pleasure riding him and my Thoroughbred, as a lot of the other horses even outside the arena were prancing, and blowing, and making lots of noise, yet I could be asleep on my two until it was time to run the pattern.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
It sounds stupid to yell around every barrel. Whoever told you to do that is a fool.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It sounds stupid to yell around every barrel. Whoever told you to do that is a fool.

I saw this at a local gaming show and wanted to slap every rider that did it.

What's the point, to scare your horse into running faster? Guess what...if you're kicking and whipping the horse, it's not going to go any faster than it already is so stop making yourself look like an idiot. :shock: (Not to the OP...just anyone that uses that uh....technique(?) )

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It always irks me seeing the people with the over under, smacking and kicking and/or yelling at their horse all they way back to the "finish line". I never used anything other than my leg, and seat to get the horse going, and they always ran as fast as I wanted them to. Smacking or yelling at my TB would have most definately freaked her out, and made her do something other than actually running, like backing all the way to the fence like she did around the last barrel the first time I did a pattern with her with any sort of speed. I would take some lessons, and work just on making her calm down and feel more comfortable just being in the arena, before doing more barrels. She needs to take a breather and learn to relax.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts