Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still in shock.
I had friends over, so the gate to my property was open, as earlier in the evening my brother had left with his car, and wasn't back yet, and I hate to go to close the gate after him, even though I have told him, to keep it shut, as anything can happen and a bay and a brown horse are invisible at night.

So we were going outside for a smoke, when we heard some noises, like drumming, banging.. hard to make out.. .
We go outside and see horses on the other side of the pasture, behind my orchard, but with just the door light on, it is hard to tell if they are behind the fence or not... So while I jump into my boots, it appears my friends saw them come closer to the yard.
First things first, check that we have both, and close the gate ASAP.
Then try to catch them.... Grand came to me immediatelly, Teddy tried to avoid me. I led Grand to the closest fence to find where they broke it - we walked around half the yard and never found a hole, it was where I feed them. And it wasn't a hole, they had ran through the fence and broken 2 of the plastic poles. So that's pretty ****. Ok, managed to tie the electric tape around a tree and a post, to hold them in the pasture for now, but got almost frozen as it is -12 to -14 °C and I hadn't packed myself in too much...

Gave them hay and left them be.. however, we found hoofprints on the road.. mind you, it is a busy road, a busy country road. A car had stopped too just when we went outside.. and a man was walking around with a flashlight looking for something. We understood afterwards that he must have seen either of the horses on the road..

My heart died a little inside today.. but I reacted and got things done, that is one of my best traits - i do not freeze, I act. So they seem to be safe and sound at the moment, but I am very curious about why they bolted through the fence. Because I mean, they do occasionally have their little fights, but that does not cause them to run in the fence, plus, it looked like they had bolted in blind panic, as the wheelbarrow had fallen over but the fence line was intact, just the poles broken..

we had seen a little animal in the pasture before, but as i have a stray/wild house cat running about, i paid no attention to it.
So the task tomorrow morning is to look for any prints, any signs why they ran. Seems like they might have chased that something out of the property and soon returned back (thank god they do not want to run further)

But ye.. I had told everyone to keep the gate shut at all times, close it when you leave the property, but I guess I will just have to keep reminding, and run and close after everyone who cannot be arsed to do it, as people like my brother, do not care much about horses...

Well now they are safe inside the pasture, the worst that can happen if they break out again is the frozen pond (hopefully they would not go near it) and damaging the car or walking in the sheds and stepping on something... but I hope they will eat and sleep now..

I have no idea what happened... and I am sure that because of stress I will sleep very bad and will be sore in the morning..

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
How scary! Glad everything is okay.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
37,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my dogs is still yapping, which drives me nuts... he yaps at horses all the time, and now when they are closer to the yard, where he is not used to see them, he cannot shut up.

Also forgot to say that we don't get many wild predators - we have foxes, ferrets and that kind of stuff, no wolves of Lynxes have been sighted in ages here (could be decades) and I do have a metal mesh fence around the whole property, it's like wild animal fencing, smaller holes on the buttom, bigger on top 160 cm tall, should be, but horses have bent it down in a few places (needs fixing)

There have been sightings of the golden jackal in the country, not sure if they might have ventured near.
I seriously doubt a cat could have scared them...
I really want to figure this out, as this is my second night in a row with lack of sleep (gotta be up early to feed again), and need to stay sane to study for uni..

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Scary!! I'm so glad they're ok and you're ok! :hug:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That's scarey, they could have been playing and one ran through the fence, you did say it was electric tape....right. One reason why I don't like electric fences is because my horses also escape, usually early morning and go around the neighborhood visiting everyone! Thing is sometimes it's when they are all headed to work in the morning.......mine escape at least once a year, around x-mas, this year they did it then and again 2 weeks later!

·
Registered
37,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's scarey, they could have been playing and one ran through the fence, you did say it was electric tape....right. One reason why I don't like electric fences is because my horses also escape, usually early morning and go around the neighborhood visiting everyone! Thing is sometimes it's when they are all headed to work in the morning.......mine escape at least once a year, around x-mas, this year they did it then and again 2 weeks later!
They barely ever play now because the ground is frozen hard after the mess they made in the mud. They can barely walk.

The only other option I see is that the smaller alpha gelding attacked mine for some reason, he fell through the fence, they went for a run.

They are happily munching on breakfast, and enjoying the new part of the pasture as it is flat and their feet can rest better.

But in the spring I am making a wooden fence from the inside of my yard to mark the permanent pasture.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
LOL we live in a little.....

sub-division and the neighbors said it just wouldn't be Christmas if the horses didn't break out and come visit everyone! I think this spring we are going to put a top rail on the fence, our fence out front has the top rail, then electric and they never have gone through that one........

I see our horses every day out there playing in the morning and afternoon. Ground is froozen hard here too, hubby plows out their main pasture so it's easier to get in with the tractor to put out bales and the horses love it so they can rip around playing.

They barely ever play now because the ground is frozen hard after the mess they made in the mud. They can barely walk.

The only other option I see is that the smaller alpha gelding attacked mine for some reason, he fell through the fence, they went for a run.

They are happily munching on breakfast, and enjoying the new part of the pasture as it is flat and their feet can rest better.

But in the spring I am making a wooden fence from the inside of my yard to mark the permanent pasture.

·
Registered
37,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sub-division and the neighbors said it just wouldn't be Christmas if the horses didn't break out and come visit everyone! I think this spring we are going to put a top rail on the fence, our fence out front has the top rail, then electric and they never have gone through that one........

I see our horses every day out there playing in the morning and afternoon. Ground is froozen hard here too, hubby plows out their main pasture so it's easier to get in with the tractor to put out bales and the horses love it so they can rip around playing.
They kept walking as if they were sore, they would refuse to move.. because the ground is in lumps. Now they have a flat patch where I feed them on, and they are happy and actually playing, and being grumpy at each other..

This spring I will reorganise everything.. but just have to hope we can survive this frozen time.. if more fence posts break I have no idea what I will do.. what posts I can make in this frozen ground..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.