The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend bred her cremello (technically dominant white) mare (Impressive bred) to a buckskin appy stallion (DialSumStarsnStripes) and I really wanted to make this forum to surprise her after her baby grows up and also to share with the horse forum community. Gives me something to do while I wait to breed my mare :)

Mama has some pretty blue eyes. She is not maiden, she's had foals in the past, mostly colts. This is her first filly in awhile. I don't have very good pictures of her. I will take more when I see her next.

And Daddy screams color. Gorgeous blanket on him....

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Color Possibilities

Sire is: EeAaDD and heterozygous appy. Correction: bay dun appy

Mom is a rare genetically created individual lol but the closest I can get to is cremello non silver

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I ask purely out of curiosity so forgive me if it seems rude, but what happened to mama’s ears (if anything?)

Beautiful mare though, beautiful stud. It’ll be interesting to see if she pulls off that 3% Silver Smoky Grullo App or not. Is your friend looking for a specific color?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ask purely out of curiosity so forgive me if it seems rude, but what happened to mama’s ears (if anything?)

Beautiful mare though, beautiful stud. It’ll be interesting to see if she pulls off that 3% Silver Smoky Grullo App or not. Is your friend looking for a specific color?
She got frostbite when she was a baby lol I was wondering the same thing! Not rude at all ahaha. She would love grullo but she's happy with whatever she gets. She definitely wanted a filly though!

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
Is mom tested as cremello or do you know she is by parentage? What is her agouti status? You said she is "dominant white" - do you mean she has one of the white spotting genes? If so, which one(s)? And where does silver come into the mix (which shows up in the color calculator results you posted)?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is mom tested as cremello or do you know she is by parentage? What is her agouti status? You said she is "dominant white" - do you mean she has one of the white spotting genes? If so, which one(s)? And where does silver come into the mix (which shows up in the color calculator results you posted)?
Lolol too many questions. I have no idea not my mare but my friend said she is technically dominant white, I think she looks cremello. And this is the color calc she sent me so I know she knows her genes.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
I can't tell what kind of conformation either of these horses has from the photos. Color is the absolute least important of all the considerations in breeding. Conformation, temperament, soundness, suitability, and lots of other things come way before.

I hope all that stuff accidentally happens to be right too, as it appears the only thing your friend cares about is the hair color.

And that is all I will say about that.

-- Debbie Downer

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I would be curious on the coat color test results on the mare.

Cremello is a chestnut with 2 cream dilutions, the horse will be 100% pink skinned with light blue eyes and a pale creamish yellow color. I am not sure if it lighting or dirt that makes the mare not look Cremello.

Silver is a dilution that only messes with black pigment and so any red based horse (like Cremello) would require coat color testing to know if they had silver.

Dominant white is a giant white spotting pattern that is covering the entire horse like a pinto pattern on steroids.

Most breeders avoid mixing pinto patterns with appy patterns because pinto patterns can fully cover hide appy patterns, especially if you have a dominant white pattern passed on.

Is there a way to get pictures of the mare when she was a foal?

For some reason I cannot see the picture of a previous foal she had.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If the horse has blue eyes it's a cremello, if it has light brown eyes it's a dominant white. From what I've seen dom white is different forms of sabino, possibly multiple.

Grullo (black dun) would be low if your crossing bay with cremello.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I went and looked back at the picture and realized that there is, indeed, what looks to be both black and grey skin patterning under her fur. I’m not anywhere near a genetics genetics but I’m interested to learn, so I went and outlined what I think is the pink skin in green.... ignore me other than the picture ;) Click!

Reactions: SummerAwaits

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the horse has blue eyes it's a cremello, if it has light brown eyes it's a dominant white. From what I've seen dom white is different forms of sabino, possibly multiple.

She has blue eyes. So cremello would make sense!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't tell what kind of conformation either of these horses has from the photos. Color is the absolute least important of all the considerations in breeding. Conformation, temperament, soundness, suitability, and lots of other things come way before.

I hope all that stuff accidentally happens to be right too, as it appears the only thing your friend cares about is the hair color.

And that is all I will say about that.

-- Debbie Downer
Yes I entirely agree but that is not the only thing my friend cares about. Mare has an amazing temperament so does sire. Very sound solid horses. Conformation I agree, not my style, too beefy and bulky, but she did her research and is working with people and that was her decision she made.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Must be cremello then, that makes sense. She has pale blue eyes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little Filly!

Welcome to the world little one <3

4-14-19

I think we have a dunskin! And she was born the last main night of country thunder 2019 :p too neat! My friend was thinking of naming her CT for Country Thunder ahaha. I told her she should name her April or Shasta. She also said something about naming her Foxy but I really don't like that name for a horse lolol

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went and looked back at the picture and realized that there is, indeed, what looks to be both black and grey skin patterning under her fur. I’m not anywhere near a genetics genetics but I’m interested to learn, so I went and outlined what I think is the pink skin in green.... ignore me other than the picture ;) Click!
Aw it won't let me view the link but really want to see it! Send again?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Adorable baby, more pics? XD That lil face, I think I'm in love.

Congrats to your friend!

Reactions: JCnGrace
1 - 20 of 58 Posts