The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old is rubbing his top front teeth on the gate for his corral. I'm not worried about the gate. It is solid metal. I just don't want him to wear down his teeth.

I'm trying to spread out his food and exercise during the day as much as I can while I'm working from home. Pellets in the morn. Release him in the arena for 3 to 4 hours with his buddy. Hay mid afternoon in a slow feeder. Pellets again in the evening.

I've seen the spray gels and would like to try that. I've looked on the forum but don't really see any recent posts that I could use.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
13,873 Posts
I don't know about sprays but Irish Spring soap rubbed on surfaces as a deterrent is said to deter the inclination...
If he is just rubbing his teeth...make sure he is not trying to find relief from a dental problem first.
How old is the horse? 5....
Could he possibly have a retained cap that is irritating his mouth...
I would look to make sure dental is not a problem first before spraying this or that or even doing the soap thing...
Suddenly the horse is fussing with his mouth = get the mouth checked out ASAP.
:runninghorse2:....

·
Super Moderator
23,204 Posts
So is he doing this when in with his buddy, or only when in solitary small area for the 20+ hrs a day? Any way to give him a better lifestyle, rather than just trying to address a symptom of it?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
After ruling out dental issues and social issues, I would opt to run a strand of electric line across where ever he chews. At my old barn, that was the only thing that would stop one of the horses from sucking on the panels of the round pen all day. He was on pasture with 3 other horses, constantly had food and grass, but still preferred to windsuck and crib. It quickly stopped when there was an electric line blocking him.

·
Super Moderator
23,204 Posts
Oh duh, meant to also add... 'cribbing' / windsucking is also commonly related to feeding issues/stomach ulcers. They do it due to pain.

And it sounds like he only gets hay once a day? If so that is very likely to cause gut probs. Horses need free access to forage, or at least little & often. They're 'trickle feeders' who should not go hungry or have big gaps between 'meals'. So start feeding him a LOT more hay. Putting it in a small holed net will slow his consumption.

What are the pellets you're feeding him & how much does he get?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the feedback.

Their stalls are about about 600 sq ft. When separated they are about 10' apart from each other.

Every other day they get to run in the fenced 1/2 acre for about 4 hours. If I'm home it is everyday.

He is 5 and I had a dental check done on him about a month ago. No issues there.

He gets fed pellets that are a mix of hay and alfalfa. He gets 10lbs in the morn and evening. They get bermuda hay twice a day through a slow feeder. I've seen him crib while he also has a full bin a bermuda. He also gets a can of supplement from purina in the evening.

I may try the soap. I've put hot sauce on the poles. That deters him for awhile too.

My preference is to not go with the wire but I may go down that route as well.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
Is he actually hooking his front teeth on the rail and sucking wind or biting?
Or is he running his top teeth sideways (horizontally) down the rail on the gate?
Two different scenarios.
The second is not cribbing.

·
Super Moderator
23,204 Posts
When separated they are about 10' apart from each other.

Every other day they get to run in the fenced 1/2 acre for about 4 hours. If I'm home it is everyday.
So it's more like 4hrs out of every 48 that he gets to be a horse with his mate & the rest of the time he can't even be near another horse. I'd suggest a LOT more turnout, a life that allows him to BE a horse as much as possible, as this kind of management causes the mental problems that *manifest* as 'stable vices'. Just addressing the 'manifestation' by punishing it with soap or hot sauce or whatever is only likely to cause him further anxiety & it will appear as some other 'vice' or health prob.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Putting his front teeth on top of the rail and biting or pressing down. He will suck wind on occasion but that is rare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We live in the desert and currently it is 105 to 110 out. The Run has limited shade and water so we don't leave them out there for extended periods of time and especially if we are not home. While I would love to have them out there longer that is not always an option at this time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts