The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 'moms' horse is cribbing! he cribs on water buckets metal, and many other things! he gets grain and hay, grain is a mixture of Sweet feed and plain oats. water 24/7 and worked 3 to 4 days a week. ridden once or twice a week.

whats with him he started 2 maybe 3 months ago! i thought he would get over it but he hasnt stopped, he also paws.

anything i can do to stop him? i cant spray things because my other 2 like to lick tihngs after they drink.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
For how long during the day he stays in the stable? If he is stabled, does he have any toys to interact with? If he isn't already, I'd suggest you put him in a 24/7 pasture - this does wonders in eliminating these "vices" (which are actually signs of anxiety, boredom and psychological discomfort, so you have to look for the reason, not just try to stop him cribbing and pawing)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had to put a cribbing collar on mine, and she still tried. She's doing it a lot less now though - she's turned out 24/7 and gets regular workouts, which seems to keep her from getting bored. I'm pretty sure it was stress from the move that caused her to do it.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Can you provide free choice hay/grass? This will help avoid boredom which is a common cause of cribbing. Is he on a well balanced diet?

·
Registered
127 Posts
My ottb cribs...we put a cribbing collar on her. When we adopted her and moved her to boarding farm, she got more hay and more turn out and doesn't crib as much. But she still wears the cribbing collar. She is only one two hours of turn out a day though....and I think when we move her to our barn and she is turned out most of the day....she really will almost completly stop cribbing. So try to increase her turn out and hay.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well hes outside 24/7, we have a 56 by 64 barn thats has a round pen in it that they can go in, thats where their water is, and where we feed grain. and when in working with another horse in the round pen he cribs on things. they have round bales all the time. they dont play with toys, and when i left one in there my dog took their jolly ball and tried to eat it because he has 3 of his own.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Cribbing is a genetic predisposition, which means the behavior is hardwired into your horse's brain. He's not going to stop. Cribbing collars help to some degree, but he's never going to be cured. I have a cribber, and I tried absolutely everything. I gave up a long time ago. :wink: 24/7 turnout helps, but as soon as he has access to a horizontal surface, he's doing it again.

The good news is that he won't teach all the other horses to do it. That's a common myth.

Reactions: crimsonsky

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cribbing is a genetic predisposition, which means the behavior is hardwired into your horse's brain. He's not going to stop. Cribbing collars help to some degree, but he's never going to be cured. I have a cribber, and I tried absolutely everything. I gave up a long time ago. :wink: 24/7 turnout helps, but as soon as he has access to a horizontal surface, he's doing it again.

The good news is that he won't teach all the other horses to do it. That's a common myth.
That's good to know - I was worried about mine teaching the others.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Does he indeed crib or wind suck or he just tries to chew/bite on things?

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
I agree that cribbing can be from breeding but, it is also now proven that 98% of horses that crib are suffering from stomach ulcers.

So, if the horse is treated for the ulcers then the cribbing will become less. In some cases it will actually stop.

It has absolutely nothing to do with boredom or being stabled.
I have had many horses that crib, one was a yearling TB gelding that started one day out in the field where he was running with other yearlings. I thought I saw him crib on a post and stood and watched but he didn't do it again. Next morning he was cribbing like a pro!
I tried everything to stop him, collars, muzzle, giving him nothing to crib on and he just got very depressed if he couldn't so, I just let him do it.
If anything it was his breeding, highly strung mother and ditto for the sire - who I was later told cribbed.

I also recently had a foal here for a friend. The dam cribbed badly. The owner, a very neurotic woman, had the foal back for weaning. Did just about everything wrong she could and the foal had to be shut in for an injury. He started to crib. Came to me, still had to be enclosed but after a couple of weeks, stopped cribbing - unless the owner rolled up whereby he would start again. He was scanned and did have ulcers. I had him on some herbal treatment but here he relaxed and was not fussed over and they cleared. Lucky for him the owner sold him and he hasn't cribbed since and that was about 5 years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.