The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so 4 months ago I started riding, and by starting riding I mean started riding. I got on a horse for the first time 4 months ago. So far I have perfected these things:

-proper position
-trot
-posting trot
-the right posting legs
-2 point
-jumping ( I have jumped a small verticle, and cross rails. )
-and I can canter on the lunging rope

I have done other things too, but have not perfected them yet. :)

So, that is what I have learned in my first 4 months :)

I am planning to lease after this summer coming up. :)

So please tell me if my progress has been okay, and if you think it's a good idea to lease at the end of summer. I plan to practice A LOT during the summer, so please take that into consideration.

Thanks,
ponycrazy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Alright, some pictures would be helpful so we can see what you mean by "perfected". I find it hard to believe that anyone has perfected their position and perfected jumping in 4 months. While I'm not saying it is impossible, I think we could just better help you if we saw a picture of you jumping, etc.

You seem to be making good progress, though! I don't think you have to be the perfect rider to start leasing a horse. You just have to know how to care for a horse, tack one up by yourself, etc. Since you will probably be taking lessons still while you're leasing this horse, your trainer can help you improve and the horse you lease can be a good teacher as well. :] Good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, some pictures would be helpful so we can see what you mean by "perfected". I find it hard to believe that anyone has perfected their position and perfected jumping in 4 months. While I'm not saying it is impossible, I think we could just better help you if we saw a picture of you jumping, etc.

You seem to be making good progress, though! I don't think you have to be the perfect rider to start leasing a horse. You just have to know how to care for a horse, tack one up by yourself, etc. Since you will probably be taking lessons still while you're leasing this horse, your trainer can help you improve and the horse you lease can be a good teacher as well. :] Good luck!

I know pictures would be helpful but I can't upload my pictures onto my computer. And I know that I havn't 'perfected' completely like someone you would see on T.V obviously. But, I have gotten it down pat, and i am quite comfortable with it. And when I meant by perfecting jumping, I am not jumping 3 ft, I have only perfected the jumps I do, which are not that high. So, thanks for the critique :) It is appreciated, and I hope I will be able to get pictures on here some how, and soon. So thanks, and dont get me wrong, I don't think I am a perfect rider, I still have years and years ahead of me :).

Thankkss,
ponycrazy

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's understandable. :) Well you seem pretty confident, and I'm sure with a trainer's guidance you'd be able to handle leasing a horse. So if you can, go for it! I'm sure that'd be tons of fun and a great learning experience.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's understandable. :) Well you seem pretty confident, and I'm sure with a trainer's guidance you'd be able to handle leasing a horse. So if you can, go for it! I'm sure that'd be tons of fun and a great learning experience.
Thanks!! ,
ponycrazy

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just saying if you dont want opinions dont read on!
Also saying if you dont agree with me i would love to learn why!
[/B]
-proper position
What is that suposed to mean. LIke heals down toes up elevated hand elbows in and so on... BUT that is good!!!
-trot Good!
-posting trot YEAH!!!!!
-the right posting legs its called a diagonal
-2 point YEah a good stron 2 pt. is essential for jumping!
-jumping ( I have jumped a small verticle, and cross rails. ) WOW I just started jumping this winter and i have been riding for years!! o.0 I assume there under 1 f.t and there trot in trot out. I personally disagree with you trainers teaching style.. I like w/t/c before jumping but I wont get in to that.
-and I can canter on the lunging rop GOOD you trainer has you on a lunge line.. Those are the best lessons.

GOOD For you!! Sounds like lots of Progress.. Umm I dont know about leasing this summer. You have to know about horse care,fist aid, giving supplements, riding safely on your own, being self sufficient and knowing what to do in different situations. By Summer you will only been riding about 6 months. But i do think if you can learn this all by summer or helping around the barn with every thing this is quite possible...

Excuse my long post and rambling on..I am bored at school!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just saying if you dont want opinions dont read on!
Also saying if you dont agree with me i would love to learn why!
[/B]
-proper position
What is that suposed to mean. LIke heals down toes up elevated hand elbows in and so on... BUT that is good!!!
-trot Good!
-posting trot YEAH!!!!!
-the right posting legs its called a diagonal
-2 point YEah a good stron 2 pt. is essential for jumping!
-jumping ( I have jumped a small verticle, and cross rails. ) WOW I just started jumping this winter and i have been riding for years!! o.0 I assume there under 1 f.t and there trot in trot out. I personally disagree with you trainers teaching style.. I like w/t/c before jumping but I wont get in to that.
-and I can canter on the lunging rop GOOD you trainer has you on a lunge line.. Those are the best lessons.

GOOD For you!! Sounds like lots of Progress.. Umm I dont know about leasing this summer. You have to know about horse care,fist aid, giving supplements, riding safely on your own, being self sufficient and knowing what to do in different situations. By Summer you will only been riding about 6 months. But i do think if you can learn this all by summer or helping around the barn with every thing this is quite possible...

Excuse my long post and rambling on..I am bored at school!

Thanks for your critique! I have a close family friend with a horse, and she teaches me a lot, so I know about all of the first aid, and things like that, and I was thinking about leasing her horse, so I would know everything about that horse. Thanks for the constructive critisism!!! I will use it in the future :)

thankss,
ponycrazy :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for your critique! I have a close family friend with a horse, and she teaches me a lot, so I know about all of the first aid, and things like that, and I was thinking about leasing her horse, so I would know everything about that horse. Thanks for the constructive critisism!!! I will use it in the future :)

thankss,
ponycrazy :)
Oh ok then....Well that solves our problem...Good luck....Oh and i wanna see pictures!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh ok then....Well that solves our problem...Good luck....Oh and i wanna see pictures!!
I will try to upload some soon, have to get a new camera cause I lost my cord to my other one, so I have to take some new ones, and then I will upload pics a.s.a.p!!

Thanksss,,

ponycrazy

·
Registered
303 Posts
welcome! ill be waiting

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats wonderful that you are learning to ride and doing well! It would be a great idea for you to lease during the summer! Especially on a horse you already know.

The only comment I have regarding what you have learned, is you should be able to canter on your own before jumping. Many trainers rush their students into jumping because so many people feel that it is the fun and exciting part of riding, but in order to be truly successful you really need to have the basics of walk trot canter down. Preferably for me with no stirrups to strengthen your legs and make sure your balance is right on track... but that's just me. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thats wonderful that you are learning to ride and doing well! It would be a great idea for you to lease during the summer! Especially on a horse you already know.

The only comment I have regarding what you have learned, is you should be able to canter on your own before jumping. Many trainers rush their students into jumping because so many people feel that it is the fun and exciting part of riding, but in order to be truly successful you really need to have the basics of walk trot canter down. Preferably for me with no stirrups to strengthen your legs and make sure your balance is right on track... but that's just me. :)
agreei dint touch jump till i could canter very well!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I do no stirrups :) And, I have jumped a horse, then it went into a canter, and I just slowed it down. like I know the basics and stuff, but I accept everyones opinion. So thanks for the advice :) And thanks for saying that I should lease during the summer :)

thankss,
ponycrazy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh! and most people are saying that my trainer is rushing me into jumping, I have only done poles with my trainer, when I do the jumps I am just fooling around, riding with my friend that owns a horse :) ;P Yeah, so that may clear some stuff up :) But, don't worry my friend came 1st in all of Ontario, so she is good at teaching me things. So, yeah, hope that clears some stuff up.

thankss,
ponycrazy

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
well done for coming this far, not to seem rude but a highly doubt you have perfected anything. when you are learning your instructor will say 'perfect!' but dont mean it. it was the same for me, when you have been riding decades or you start training lessons then there is plenty more you can learn. good luck and importantly enjoy yourself and let us all know how leasing goes
x
speedy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1st in all of Ontario in what? What discipline? What level?

You have much to learn. Enjoy the journey. :)

Hunter, and I am not sure what level but she has lessons at my barn on the highest level possible in lessons. But she got first in ontario a few years ago. So, not sure but I am sure quite high!!!!

:)

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Eh. I don't see why you couldn't. Just be sure to keep in contact with your trainer so you don't accidently teach bad habits. That's very common wit hinexperienced riders, unfortunately.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.