Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd love a critique on my Welsh mare.
Shes 4 1/2, and I started her under saddle training and most of her groundwork on my own :p
Please bear in mind that this was her 6th or 7th ride under saddle aha
(Our power steering has greatly improved since this video haha)
Critique the pony and/or me if you'd like!
Just like to get some outside feedback.

I do know that my reins should be shorter and that my hands need to be forward more. But since shes super green, I ride with a longer/lighter rein.
And I wish she had tracked up more in this video, I'll try and get a recent video of her soon because shes 10 times better now!

·
Registered
22 Posts
She's a pretty mare! It looks like you're struggling to get her on the bit (perfectly normal for a green horse) and I think it'd help if you adjusted your upper body position. At the trot, you're leaning forward a tad too much. At the canter, you're leaning forward a lot. Also, your elbows could be a little further back and your thumbs pointed upwards. Your feet could also be behind the girth a little more. And as for the reins, I don't think they should be any shorter than that.

·
Registered
749 Posts
She's tossing her head so much because your contact isn't consistent. Your reins are very very fluttery. One moment you have contact, the next a loose rein then you're bumping her in the mouth.

In the last video she is being set up to fail in getting the correct lead. She's going left but is thinking right and is thus veering off to the right and when you ask for a canter is getting the wrong lead. I do a lot of big over corrections, if my horse goes off to the right, I go way to the left, not just back to where I was trying to go. This will balance up your pony and thus when you ask canter she'll pick up the correct lead because that's the direction she is balanced to go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
very nice for only the 6th or 7th ride. pretty horse too. but like said above she was set up for the wrong lead. your position needs adjustment and with a young and green horse this is absolutely critical. lots of potential though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.