The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I think she's gorgeous, though she looks alot younger than 5.
xD You do need work on your jumping. Good luck :) Things look great

·
Registered
641 Posts
Your pulling on her mouth when you come down from the jump:) Try to keep your upper body steady. Sit ups, planks, and push ups will help :)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
shes got a beautiful, big jump :) nothing wrong with that, but you are catching her in the mouth on the landing. the more you work her, the more you will feel comfortable to jump her. she is a little arkward into it, so when she is jumping confidently, jump her in canter so she can learn to get her striding right. this will also help you with your position.
the reason you fell off is she over jumped and you were not used to it, as you landed on her neck she put her head down! i have done something simular :p, just get back on, you did the right thing :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup i got back on, she is very green jumping as you can see, i am taking private lessons so hopefully by summer time we will be jumping really good. *hoping*

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Your little app is dead cute, and a talented jumper.

I love the fact that she's jumping a crossrail like it's 3' feet, and cracking her back over it to boot. That's a lovely instinct that you don't want to interfere with.

You start out in a good postion with an appropriate release, but you do snap back in the air, and catch her in the mouth as others have mentioned.

This is understandable, with her big round jump. Lots of riders would have trouble staying with her. *BUT* you must do something about it right away, or you risk ruining her wonderful jump.

For starters, grab a chunk of mane in the air and physically hold yourself up off of her back until one stride after landing. If she has a typical Appy skimpy mane, buckle a spare stirrup leather around her neck and grab that.

Do anything you can to strengthen your lower leg, incl. work without stirrups, as this will improve your ability to stay with her.

When she's ready, do lots of low grids and gymnastics, staying out of the saddle and hands in the same release position through the whole grid.

If you're embarrassed about grabbing mane, please don't be. I have seen professionals, including Karen Lende O'Connor, the Olympic eventer, grab mane over a fence on a green horse that overjumps, to keep from catching it in the mouth. It's the difference between horsemanship and showmanship. A good horseman never interferes with his horse's efforts if he can help it.
`

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANX Maura ! amazing advice, i am also taking private lessons to improve this she is turning 6 this year and so her flat work is good, and now i am going to start getting her to jump.

·
Registered
63 Posts
She is over jumping the fence. As for the pulling on her mouth issue you could try some free jumping or on the lunge so she doesn't get used to be pulled in the mouth and starts to dislike jumping. For yourself I agree with maura. Good luck she is a gorgeous horse!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.