The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey :) I would love some opinions on these two boys.

Currently I'm riding them both and thinking about going to some dressage competitions. Both horses are very well mannered and know low-level dressage exercises. But I'd like to possibly be able to compete M level some day, though I'm not sure if on these two.. But I'd still like to know, based on their built, who is more suitable - if at all?

The first horse is Poisu, he is a bit overweight at the moment, still working on that :lol:. He has a strong body, that maybe isn't graceful enough for dressage? Though he is a lovely mover and loves to please..
The second gelding, Villu, seems lovely to me. Except one quite big flaw: his front legs. His toes are really pointed out. Would this be a big problem, will it hinder his ability to perform, etc? I attached the last picture so you could see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi!
That's some cute horses :) I doubt though, that they are suitable for M dressage. They don't look as if they would have a very easy time with moving uphill. The first one looks also as if he had weak muscles on his butt.
What breeds are they and do you have reason to believe that they're suitable for dressage (as e.g. siblings that compete succuessfully)?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I prefer the build of the second horse minus those front legs. Turned out slightly is preferable to turned in, but that is quite severe and will effect movement especially when it comes to lateral work. Because he is not outstanding in his build, he is very unlikely to be able to compensate for this flaw.

The first horse (yes he's fat!!) is again quite a sweet looking boy but not a Dressage prospect. He has a weak hind end with quite straight hind legs, and a steep shoulder. I also do not like how his back ties in with his haunches.

Two sweet horses, good for playing in low levels but to go medium you'd probably end up trick training more than getting them going correctly as they may struggle with collection to quite a significant extent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.