The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is our almost 2 year old Morgan/Thoroughbred/Paint filly. I plan to use her for a all around horse. Barrel Racing, Trail riding, small shows ect. She is just a backyard horse, but I really like her disposition. It's really hard to get a picture of her standing square....she hasn't quite got the part where she has to stand still!

What do you think of her?

Attachments

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
For what you're planning on using her for, temperment is by far and away the most important quality, so if she's sweet and easy to handle, you have what you need.

Two things jump out at me about her. One, she's extremely short coupled - her middle section is signifigantly shorter than her hindquarters or front end. That's not a great quality for dressage/eventing or hunters or jumpers, but it is a more desirable quality for a Western horse doing ranch work.

Two, her hind leg is extremely straight from hip to hock, with very little angle to her stifle. This means she won't have as much "push" or "engine" from behind, and will also have trouble really "sitting" or rocking back on her haunches. Certainly won't keep her from doing what you want her to do, but something to be aware of. Horses with this conformation do much better if kept fit, and gradually introducing hill work under saddle when she's ready is the best way to build the muscle she needs.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm not a fan of shaving a horse, but when she loses her winter coat, she looks sooooo amazing.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I love how short her back is... its going to make it alot easier for her to move as far as turning barrels and such goes. I like short backed horses. She is a pretty nicely put together horse. :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone.... Yes she looks way better when she looses her winter coat. She keeps her ear hair all year round though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.