Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
52 Posts
your form is nice your horse is great too kudos to u cause u wont see me jump

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm impressed that you took that height from a trot! He/she's an honest horse :)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Cute horse and man he does try hard for you!

But you are just pointing and shooting him at the jump- I don't really see you riding him to the jump or through the line.

Also you are hunched over in between the line. Pull those shoulder back and bring those eyes up and be proud. Your horse is cute and be blessed how honest he is!

It would be easier to give you more of a contrastive critique if you could get a longer video :D

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
He looks like a steady, honest mount.

But I think you should lower the jumps until you have a bit more solid seat. You are abandoing him to to figure it out himself. Sit down to the base of the jump, keep contact with his mouth, and tell him where to leave. He got a tight distance over the verticle because you just said "figure it out yourself" and dropped him.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
My question is, how long have you been jumping? Have you done a full course?

All 3 videos:

Pick up your hands please! You cannot be functional what-so-ever as a rider, when your hands are that low. You have no where to give, take. No where to ask, be asked. You have no where to go if you need to. Pick them up, close your elbow angle.

When you ride with your hands that low, you cause a domino effect of flat and forward riding. Your hands drop, your shoulders follow. Your shoulders drop, your chest follows. Your chest drops, your seat follows.

You are now, unfunctional.

Also, you are not aiding your horse to be lifted up into your aids - instead, your horse is flat and on his forehand. Which is what happened thorughout all 3 vids. Your horse jumped flat and heavy.

I understand how Coaches want their students to stay in 2 point to the fence, after the fence and between the fence - to teach their students to stay quiet and out of their horses way, but you aren't learning how to be functional as a rider while you are doing this.

While yes, it is a great learing tool to remain put, and remain where you should be while over the fence so that you can learn as to how that feels and should feel - on the other hand, you are not learning how to be functional.

I understand that it will come over time, and you have a great horse who knows how to do his job and does it well, and for that he should be praised, but you also are not learning how to ride effectively on approach, after and between the fences.

So - yes, your form is solid over the fence, but you are not functional what-so-ever between the fences.

Can you see how forward your upper body is? When you are told to remain in 2 point, all of your bodies weight is pushed onto your horses forehand *shoulders*. This not only makes his job that much harder to get over the fence, because he not only is lifting his bodies weight onto his hind end, but he is lifting yours as well - this also encourages a flat and heavy on the front end horse.

This horse, deserves ALOT of praise for getting you over those fences without stopping and veering out. If you were on my guy, he'd of stopped at the base of the fence, and his rider would of kept going.

Eventually, you should beable to sit on all 3 points of your seat *Both seat bones and crotch* with a tall upper body, carried hands, open chest to the base of the fence, while yet, allowing your horse to close the angle for you and lift you out of your tack.

When between the fences - you should sit down and sit up tall instead of remaining in your forward seat.

On a positive note, I am glad that you are on a trust worthy, stead fast horse who does his job properly regardless of what you are not doing in your tack. I am glad that you are learning as to what solid form should be over the fence - now, you need to be learning how to approach the fence and how to ride between the fences through functional form.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Your horse is a saint! :lol: the second fence of the second video, you literally gave him the aids to evade the jump but you also let him figure out the fence on his own. He is a saint for having gone for it.

Looks like he really enjoys his work. What a cute little guy in the first video. I hope you continue to jump him, you guys should do really well :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
Really cute pony! My advice? Sit back in between the jumps. There's no way you can steer while you're lying on his neck. =)

·
Registered
254 Posts
in simple terms from what i see-

remaining in two point is ineffective (quote MIE)- i'd say being a cutting horse he would get a little behind your leg, which is further emphasized when you remain ahead of him- in vid three at the last jump you are too far ahead of him, and u lose ur contact- so as a result he doesn't make the distance, takes it long and raps a rail rather hard. to counter this you needed to be sitting upright between fences- pick up contact and your hands and push him forward into them,if this occurred his strides would have been longer and he would not have needed to take off so early or chip. or depending on the correct striding for that line, in that position you would have been able to collect and shorten his stride to punch in a nice set of strides..
further more- had you ridden in a more effective three-point position over the poles at the beginning of the line his jump would have helped you get the distance for the second fence

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.