The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been riding for 2 years, and I just started jumping. These are some videos of me jumping on Higgins and Murphy, two excellent school horses at my barn. Higgins is the chestnut Hanoverian gelding, and the jumping in those clips, it was my first course ever! Murphy is the dark bay Thoroughbred gelding, and those clips were from my fourth jumping lesson.

And I DO know that my leg is too far back most of the time over the jumps, but I'd like some more critique other than that. And if you value your sanity, watch the second one with your sound turned off. I didn't listen to the music before I put it on, and it's pretty awful!

Murphy and me:

Higgins and me:

Thanks for watching, and I look forward to your feedback!

·
Registered
338 Posts
first off you look amazing for being a new jumper!!
murphey videio:
good seat!
i think you stirrups looked a tad short, mabye just lower them one or two holes
nice releases, but remember not to give your reins away, i noticed that in between some of the jumps there were loops in your reins. this is a really common problem with new jumpers because there are so many things to be thinking about when you jump.
heels down over the jumps!
another comon problem with new jumpers, you anticpated the jump and leaned foreward a little too far in your 2pt (in other words, dont fall on to your horses neck); let your horse lift you up into the position, i think fixing your upper body position would help solve your leg problem too.
higgins video:
first off, georgeous horse!
get those heels down again!
you had some really great jumps in there where your 2pt looked really good!
again though, there were some jumps where you jumped ahead of your horse.

overall your looking great for a new jumper, keep it up!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just a quick one - bend your elbows a little more, this will really help you to sit up straighter and be more prepared for the jump :)
You look loads better than I did when I first started jumping, keep up the good work! :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! That's really good critique- and you were a lot nicer than I was expecting!

Yes, sullylvr, Higgins is SUCH a gorgeous horse!!! And guess what? He got given to our lesson stable for free, tack and all! I am so lucky that I got to ride him! It's so funny how he is used to huge jumps and ALWAYS overjumps.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Youhave a really good seat and you move well with your horse.
i think you could improve by lengthening your stirrups a couple holes.
i noticed that your feet were almost completly through the stirrup irons so you could try and keep the irons on the ball of your foot and that would help you balance more and keep your heels down and off your horses neck.

other than that you and your horses look great!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I agree with everyone above. You're doing great for just starting. I noticed in your lines, your first jumps you anticipated them and jumped before your horse. But your second jumps you usually sat up and took them in good form. Don't think ahead, go one jump at a time and remember to let the jump come to you, don't go to the jump! I personally want to steal Murphy...but I'm a sucker for a good hearted bay =) Keep up the good work and keep practicing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with every one else, if I looked half as good as you do in those videos then my goodness! lol, any ways, I know you said you didn't want any leg critque, but.... I have had that same problem. The easiest thing for me to do, is to ride around my ring in 2pt. for a couple of laps ( helps get you rleg strong so it can hold you up over the jump). Also when stay in 2pt. before and after a jump, so you can learn what the correct possition is. :) I think it would help you if you gave your horse a bit more rein, just put your hands up higher on his neck. Its not a big problem when your jumping small jumps. But if you get bigger, and you have a horse with a lot of scoop then you'll have to give a lot. Or you'll end up hitting him/her in the mouth. I did this when I first started bigger jumps and I learned the heard way not to do it ( my horse bucked my off a lot for that one)

Like I said before, way to go for just starting out! You have some pretty cool horses at your finger tips! Take advantage while you can!

Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I love the chestnut, Higgins. For the first time you seem pretty good, just get your heels down a bit more which will help you put more weight into your stirrups, which then can help with your lower leg. And for e beginner jumper it is ok that your reins are loser, it is better then to tight becaus ethen you would always be catching your horse in the mouth (ouch). So with more experience/lessons/practice you'll get more feel for it and beter at it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I personally want to steal Murphy...but I'm a sucker for a good hearted bay =)
Lol he's doing great in this video, but you should see him when he's not trying his hardest! I have SOOO many videos of my friend riding him, and he's not even going UP over the jump, just kind of cantering normally over them, not picking up his hooves at all! Got to love long-legged Thoroughbreds, hey? and sometimes he just canters THROUGH the jumps! lol he's a funny boy.

As for the stirrup length issue, my first jump, I had my stirrups at my regular length, and I just flopped all over the horse's neck, I couldn't get into a good 2-point. so when we started the courses, my instructor told me to shorten the stirrups a hole too short, just so I could get the feel of being able to lift myself into 2-point. As I get better, I'll try lengthening them a little and letting the horse lift me up!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The biggest thing I see is you're pinching with your knees, which is the main cause of why your leg slips back and your body tilts forward. Another reason why I came to the conclusion that you're pinching is it is a main factor of why you seem so continuously loose your irons. Work on "wrapping" your lower leg around your horses barrel - on flat and over fences - because it will one: strengthen your legs, and two: help with your aids, as you cannot properly cue your horse while your knees are pinched and your calves away from your horse barrel.

Good luck jumping - it's lots of fun! ;)

·
Banned
105 Posts
you look good, just sit a bit more before the jump, so you are not ahead of your horse. you have a nice seat though,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.