The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, hopefully will have some better luck with these photos. Looking for a confo critique. Yes he's a little fatty, we're working on it haha

the last one is just for epic cuteness, Nippa's first saddle :D

oops forgot to mention I know his feet are a bit (a lot) long. Farrier will be coming next week, have only recently been able to catch him.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Her feet are scary. I assume she is over due for farrier work.

She toes out on the front right. Her front left is so unbalanced it looks like her leg is crooked from the pastern down. (Maybe she is on uneven footing, hopefully.)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
He is adorable! Hes got a great sturdy built for a little guy. A little short in the neck, narrow in the chest.
His toe is turning out, but it looks to be because he is standing downhill and has that leg out in front of himself.
What do you do with him?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah he's definitely overdue for a visit from the farrier. He was unfortunately turned out in a very large paddock and he decided it was more fun to be loose in the paddock then to let me catch him. Have finally got him caught and in a smaller yard now though and the farrier will be out next week.

He was on uneven ground, but it was the closest to level/flat ground I could find on the property.

He has been a paddock ornament for a little while, due to his desire to be a wild pony haha. Have just started his training though, was hoping to do a little in-hand showing with him, although not expecting him to be a champion. Just think it will be a good experience for him, he's pretty nervy. And today I put his first saddle on, so I guess just hoping he will be a good all rounder for a kid in a few years.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops, forgot to say thanks guys! I appreciate the feed back
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have one much like him... but much more svelt.

PLEASE be careful of his weight and of keeping his feet in better shape. I'd hate to see him end up foundering. He's adorable!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I have already said, his feet are only in that condition because I could not catch him, now that he is caught he will get the same attention as all of my other horses, which will include regular farrier treatment. And he has in fact lost weight since I bought him and will continue to do so as he is now being strictly managed about what he eats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It seems you took my observation as criticism which is not how it was meant. Perhaps I’m a little more sensitive to those fat little ponies with hugely long feet because of what I’ve gone through getting my pony to a healthy weight and keeping him mostly sound after he foundered before coming to me. Good luck with getting the weight of Nippa… I know with my guy I almost feel mean about the amount he gets to eat compared to the big horses. My guy also wears a grazing muzzle as soon as the grass comes in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
well he is adorable! and also it sort of looks like his croup is slightly higher than his withers. which might mean that he would be downhill...im not sure. but he does have a pretty steep croup as well. Well good luck! hes sooo cute.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems you took my observation as criticism which is not how it was meant. Perhaps I’m a little more sensitive to those fat little ponies with hugely long feet because of what I’ve gone through getting my pony to a healthy weight and keeping him mostly sound after he foundered before coming to me. Good luck with getting the weight of Nippa… I know with my guy I almost feel mean about the amount he gets to eat compared to the big horses. My guy also wears a grazing muzzle as soon as the grass comes in.
Sorry if I was a little short with you, It just seems that nobody has bothered to read that I am working on his weight already and have only been able to catch him very recently so have been unable to get his feet done until now. By no means am I blind to the danger he is in, which is why I am working on these things, because he is my little angel and it would break my heart to see anything happen to him. May I ask what sort of diet your little pony is on so I can compare to what Nippa gets? He is in a "dry" pen so grazing is not an issue. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Oh and thanks ADollopofDaisy. Being my little angel it's hard for me to look past the glaringly obvious things and see the little things

·
Registered
64 Posts
No problem. HowClever! :)

My little guy is 10hh and currently about 500lbs, though he was around 650lbs when I got him. He is currently on a flake of grass hay in the morning, one at lunch and one flake at night... I feel bad sometimes, but it's all he needs. When I open a bale and find too much alfalfa, Pony doesn't get to eat that.

He gets a cup of Purina Equilizer in the evening with a handfull of soaked beet pulp, just so he thinks he's getting grain when the big boys have theirs. He also gets a couple of carrots with his dinner.

In the summer, he goes out from about 7am with a grazing muzzle on (no dry paddock here, unfortunately). He comes in usually early in the afternoon to cool off (those little black guys really soak up the sun!), has a flake of hay and his afternoon nap, and then goes back out after an hour or so (grazing muzzle back on) until usually around 8pm when he comes in, has his dinner (noted above) and stays in for the night.

Good luck with Nippa. He's adorable!! It sounds like you're really on the right track with him. I only wish I'd rescued my little dude earlier, before he foundered.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm, sounds pretty comparable. Nip is in a dry pen with 2 other little fat ponies that aren't mine. I just wish I had somewhere else to put my pony as at the moment they are given all of their daily hay at once, which encourages the little fattys to gorge themselves! It does work out that they get between 3-4 flakes of grass hay a day each, depending on what mister dominant pony (aptly named Boss) decides to let them have. If any of the other ponies get a hard feed he gets a scoop of chaff with his mineral supplement.

Hopefully soon I will have my own property to live on with my horses and then I will be better able to feed him at regular times. Until then though, any suggestions?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oooh. That's tough. I imagine they eat everything at once and go a good long time with nothing. No suggestions to improve that, unfortunately... but I will say you'll LOVE having your horses at home - it's lots of work and sometimes a huge drag when the weather is horrible or the barn's flooded or whatever... but there's nothing like doing things exactly as you want, when you want, how you want. :) Hopefully that will come true for you soon.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It normally lasts them a couple of hours tops, silly ponies.

Oh yeah, there's nothing I want more at the moment then to have my horses on my own property. And seeing as I only have paddock boarding I already have to go out in pretty unpleasant weather and rug, feed, groom, etc etc, so that shouldn't take to much adjustment! haha.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I like his hock placement, looks like a strong hind end. :]
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just thought I would post this as a comparison,
the first photo is of Sootie who is Nippa's half brother (they have the same sire). He shares the same dry pen as Nippa and is probably a pretty accurate representation of what Nippa looked like when I first got him. 2nd photo is Nippa now. Just so everyone can see that he really has lost some weight! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
He's pretty cute!!!!
I don't know anything about pony's except they are short, but he does look alot thinner than his brother ;)

In one of his pics, he looked like he was a little downhill (don't know if thats bad for a pony) but it could be the ground...

He's got a gorgeous face!!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think he is a little downhill too.

Thanks =) he melts my heart every time I go to see him

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.