The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Clyde :) I've had him for 3 years. He was my first horse, but I have another one that I got a year ago. He is an 18 year old qh x tb x arab x saddlebred. Please keep in mind that these pictures are from his third ride after a year off due to injury. He's pretty stiff and his rythm is a bit dodgy, but that will get a lot better with time. I'm really proud of him, he's really enjoying getting back into work. Please critique me and him, nothing too blunt though :) Sorry about the million pics... :O I actually reached the maximum :lol:

Attachments

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Your looking down in all of the pictures. Look up :)
Umm your heels are nice and down point them in not out. Thumbs up, maybe push those stirrups 1-2 holes up.

Anyways good job :p
cute pony

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have a terrible habit of looking down, I know :D I think I'll leave my stirrups how they are, he has a short stride so having my stirrups long helps. If they were shorter I would be in the air too long. But thankyou very much :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You're in a dressage saddle so the stirrup length looks good.
I think you two look awesome, and he looks nice for being off so long!
:]

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
he is cute and looks very happy :D

for you:
-close your fingers on the reins
-make sure you keep those thumbs up (this will help keep those elbows in too)
-toes forward
-i would like to see your heals down more but you are riding dressage so to each his own :D
-some of the pictures your lower leg is sliding forward and giving you a chair seat try to keep that lower leg under you
- eyes up, i tell my students if you look at the dirt you are going to end up in the dirt :D

for him:
-i would do lots of stretching and make sure you warm up correctly, this will help him stay supple and keep him sound

good luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
You don't want to ride with piano hands. Piano hands break wrists. Image you're holding an ice cream cone in each hand. Or giving someone a thumbs up.
Yes, look up. Your posture will improve and you heels will go down. By looking down, your throwing your shoulders in front of you and causing your heels to rise.
Also, chicken elbows. (This is one of my biggest eq errors) Keep your elbows in to your side. Your horse will fly on his own, he doesn't need your help =D

But otherwise, very nice. He seems to give very well to you and it gives him a good neck.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It looks to me like you're using your inside rein too much when you're turning, since in some of the pictures it looks like it's almost about to cross over his neck. Instead of relying on pulling your inside rein, you should be using a supportive outside rein + inside leg through turns, and also use your eyes to tell him where to go - another reason why you should look up!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks heaps everyone, I rode him today and concentrated on keeping my elbows in and my thumbs on top and he went really well :) He picked up his front feet better too, and he's using his back a lot more, great advice :D And he's getting really supple now, getting back into the swing of it :) Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I can't see anything else to meantion besides what the others have said. Well done! :grin:

Your horse is stunning by the way! I love his face...just too beautiful.... :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.