The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having fun with Hero in the round pen and put up a caveletti - didn't have a hard time getting him to jump it either :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-GRU3Lr_9c
urgh wont embed..

He just turn 14 - I've owned him for a year and just fool around on him, He sat for 6 years in a pasture after retiring from racing...but now I have the opportunity at a new barn for lessons and hauling to shows so I might get into that :)

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
The video isn't working for me, but I suggest, even if he raced only once, to have a full work up of x rays done on his legs to make sure he's sound for jumping.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
He is holding himself up with his lower neck muscles and not stretching his back properly, both over the jump and on the flat. Get his upper neck solid, his back supple and strong, and you will have the balance you need for a good jump. To be honest, he looks a little sore to me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i think its unbalanced issues this was his 2nd time in this round pen - i am just hoping since he is under muscled he is just a little goofy right now - he'll prob never be perfect considering he has pin fires all down his shins and sat for six years.

There is no heat in any of his legs - but his feet might be a bit sore from the move.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
By sore, I meant muscle-wise, I don't see anything wrong with his legs looking sore from what I can tell.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
he has a really big, scopey jump to work with :) I think when you are on him, he will be able to control his stride a bit more, with a little help from you of course. Nice horse though, looks very honest :)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
he doesnt seem to be throwing himself over the jumps. he just seems green with regards to jumps and considering this is the first time you have put him over a jump i think he is doing well.

he didnt balk or even look like running around the jump which shows to me, a very willing attitude. all in all he seems to have ok form and there is definitely something there to work with :)

as mentioned though i would have a vet confirm that he is sound in his legs before jumping too much. after doing the math with the times you mentioned it seems he was retired around age 7 which is a good run for a racehorse. i would assume from this that he retired from age rather than injury however there are the pin firing holes...whichever way having a vet give the all clear would be good as well :)

have fun with him :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
He looks like my thoroughbred did when he started to learn to jump--very awkward...but once he learns to put his legs in the right places, you've got a cute little horse! Like NittanyEquestrian said, he's game and that's what matters at this point!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.