The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please critique my Quarter Horse mare... I've never been very good at conformation critiques, so please be honest about her. If you were to breed her, what would you look for in a stud to make a nice foal?

I apologize for how she is standing in the one picture... I don't have many pictures of her since she is currently out on a lease, but her foal is ready (more than ready, really) for weaning so she will be coming back soon.

·
Registered
277 Posts
What are her bloodlines and what type of foal are you looking for? From the two pictures you have posted, she looks very light on the back end for a quarter horse. I couldn't tell much else from the two pictures posted. Sorry !

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
She is very hard to evaluate in these pics, but what jumps out at me immediately is her long back, and what looks to be a "hunter's bump", especially noticiable in the second photo. I wonder if that's why she stands the way she does, because she's not comfortable standing under herself because of the back/pelvic injury?

·
Registered
277 Posts
She is very hard to evaluate in these pics, but what jumps out at me immediately is her long back, and what looks to be a "hunter's bump", especially noticiable in the second photo. I wonder if that's why she stands the way she does, because she's not comfortable standing under herself because of the back/pelvic injury?
That might also explain why she looks under-muscled in the hind end.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a few more pictures....

Her registered name in Docs Zoey Bar and you can see her pedigree here: Docs Zoey Bar Quarter Horse

I'm looking for a horse to do low level dressage and trails... I've pondered Adalusion/Lusitano or Throughbred for a cross.

There is a could possibilty she could have had a back injury. Her previous owner, well, was way too big for her... he would let her sit in the pasture all winter long, than take her out for a hard ride the first hot day that came along. She had resorted to bucking and he got rid of her because of it... but perhaps the bucking was a pain response.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
There's more than a possibility that she has a back injury and her conformation certainly contributed to the injury. IMO and to my eye, she is not breeding quality, even though she has lots of famous names in her pedigree. I would 1.) get a vet and/or chirpractor to look at her back to see if she can be returned to useful pleasure horse soundness. 2.) Buy a young horse to bring along as your next trail/dressage horse. You can buy a nice green broken 3 yo for less than it would cost you to get a foal on the ground and raise it; plus which you'd know exactly what you're getting going in.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Her bloodlines are heavy in the cowhorse side, so she (if physically able) would probably make a good, solid trail horse. Although Doc Bar himself was a big time halter horse, he was one on the all-time leading producers of winning cutting horses. Cutting horses are built relatively low to the ground with shorter legs so they can get down to the cow's level and cut them out of the herd. I will also tell you that the Doc Bar line has a reputation of being a little stubborn, but they are also know for being very level headed. Two Eyed Jack was also a winning Halter Horse. If you are looking for an English / Dressage horse, this would probably not be your best fit for breeding. Your mare's bloodlines are best suited for roping, cutting, ranch work, or just a good, solid trail horse.

·
Registered
504 Posts
(Sorry, no critique) She is very pretty! I love the first picture where she is with the other horse. That is really cute :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your honest estimation of her. I'm starting some Dressage lessons soon, so hopefully my new instructor can help me find a suitable horse.
BTW, what exactly is "hunter's bump" and what causes it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.