The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Can you guys critique my riding and my new horse? I got her 3 months ago. This video was taken about a month ago. I have not ridden her a lot since then as she has been having some problems. She has begun to rare, buck and back up while being ridden. So I am thinking she is in pain or she is just being a moody mare. I would also like to know if the way she carries her tail is normal? You will see how she does in the video. Now a bit about her...She is a nine year old Thoroughbred mare ( Not sure if she is purebred but that is what I was told she was and she does look like one :p She could have other breeds in her though). Before I got her she was only used on treks. She had never jumped before or she has never been worked so much so maybe she just adjusted to new training badly which is why she could be behaving bad. Also I would like to add her 'knees' crack when she moves them after being standing for a while so I think maybe she has joint problems. I will be getting the vet to check her out.

And about me...I am a 19 year old girl who has been riding since I was 9 but I took a few years break that is why I do not look great XD I also have bad confidence issues and lost my confidence about a year or more ago. I just about got it back but I still have problems jumping and riding scary horses which my mare now is! So I would love to get her problems sorted so I am not afraid of her.

So here is the video...!

·
Registered
664 Posts
To start off, she's quite cute :) I also really don't mean to be rude or offensive at all whatsoever... Anyyywho, I think your biggest problem is your confidence. If you're nervous on an already nervous horse it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Even if you don't feel nervous on her, you still may be tense, which she feels. Even when she trots her head is held way up. She's also quite fast; you really need to work on slowing her down. (I own a 7 year old mare who's quite a bit like yours. Trust me, the slower she is the better. I know she may not feel to fast to you but you can always speed her up a bit. Switching grain also helped a lot.) The biggest thing to work on is flatwork. Everyone always forgets that and rushes right into jumping. Start at a walk, and try to get her onto the bit and listening to you more. Keep her away from distractions and talk to her constantly. If you lose her focus do circles or backup until she starts listening again. Then work your way up to the trot and canter. Once you can get her slowed down and calm, jumping will be much easier. Do trot poles and those types of things before jumping, and until you can get her to jump cross rails calmly, don't raise them or canter jumps. As for you... (wow that sounds awful, doesn't it?) I think your main problem is your base. Your leg isn't secure under you, which throws everything off. Keep the weight in your heels and work on your balance. Also, if you have the opportunity to ride any well trained horses, I would highly suggest that. Bareback always helps a TON. But I think once you start working at slower gaits and start from the ground up, your relationship and trust with her will grow which just generally helps everything. Remember, if you don't trust her you can't expect her to trust you. Don't get nervous, because she will too. If you're too afraid of her I would highly reccomend you have a friend or trainer ride her and work with you. If it still doesn't work out I don't think you're a good match... As for the problems you've been having, a lot of them could be related to what I said before. Riding could also be very stressful for her because of the lack of communication. I'd definitely have the vet check her out too though, and make sure her teeth are okay. (Everyone always seems to forget about them) Good luck with her. Just remember to be patient, even if it's extremely frustrating. And again, I really don't want to be mean. That's just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think some of this has been pointed out, but your lower leg seems to be the most prominent issue. You need to bring that lower leg back underneath you! -and actually, I think you'll need to lengthen your stirrups in order to achieve that.

Your hands look like you're pushing them out straight in front of you, relax your elbows to your sides, think 90 degree bend in your arm. Low hands are actually harsher, not more forgiving. I am willing to take that back if it's something your trainer is working on with you and having you cue your horse this way, as the lower hands are sometimes used in inexperienced horses as part of the training process.

At the trot, I think you'll be okay once you get that leg secure. Your canter will also be a lot better once your leg is underneath you, but you are coming out of the saddle a lot so FIRST get your legs underneath you, then really practice slowing her down and feeling the motion with your hips. One last thing I see is that your shoulders look pretty nice and stay back nicely at the trot, but at the canter you rock your entire upper body. Think of rocking your hips and keeping your upper body still, and sitting straight like you were at the trot!

Good luck, and post your progress sometime! I admire everyone who has put themselves out there for a critique, I will do one before summer comes again, I'm just dreading what my position will look like on video!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.