The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is me and my 13 y/o QH. I rode H/J for 12 years until switching to barrel racing. My dad wasn't really into the "English Thing" as he called it. ahaha. Anyways, here's a video of me and Blondy jumping. She hasn't really jumped too much, this probably her maybe 5th time ever jumping? I wanted to start showing her this spring, but due to a injury, and a sweeny shoulder, shes un-rideable for a while.
Either way, I'd just like to know how me and her are doing and what we should improve on.
Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/J0qlNCXG3aY

·
Registered
339 Posts
hey, Its a really short video so its hard to get a good idea of how you ride, overall id say your position is nice, Id maybe suggest softening your hands slightly, and I couldnt help but notice that stright after the jump your horse is just falling around the corner, id suggest maybe putting a cone in the corner after the jump or a pole on the ground to keep you straight, do you get what I mean? It might be a good idea if youv access to some more jumps training through a grid of cross poles, great excerise for balance and working on your horses stride for lengthing and shortening..
good luck

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You need to lower and quiet your hands and become more still with your upper body... Bring your shoulders back, as well. Your leg is swinging around a lot. Your legs back under you... there should be a straight line from your head to your hip to your heel. Also, bring your elbows in. "Scoop ice cream" with your seat.

Also, wear a helmet.

:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think it would help you to shorten your stirrups and work on 2 pointing over the jumps, it looks like right now you're just tipping forward and sitting down really quick. Staying over in your 2 pt a second longer will help her get her back legs over if you ever put the jumps up higher. Otherwise you look pretty good, like you hands a lot, and cute horse!

·
Registered
50,905 Posts
What kind of bit are you using there? hard to see, but looks like either some sort of curb or a hackamore. Since your hands struggled a bit to follow well, you should not use a curb/hackamore, IMO, but rather a snaffle, like a D ring.
Cute mare and your seat is not bad.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The thing I noticed most was your hands. You need to lower them, and keep them still and soft. It looks like you are thrusting them forwards and pulling them back. Also, as someone else said, keep your upper body still. Sit up straight but stay relaxed. Heels down, toes in!

I'm not an expert, just say what I see :lol:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Couple things I noticed for improvement -
Your hands need to be lower
Your upper body is too far forward, at the beginning your leg was too far forward then once you started to canter it slipped too far back
Your lower leg is very wiggly
I'd suggest shortening those stirrups a couple of holes for the jumping (makes it sooo much easier!)

Other than that I think you had a really nice rhythm over the jump, despite a slightly awkward position you seemed nice and balanced :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
your horse looks really steady and quiet and seems really relaxed about the whole thing so thats really good considering she hasnt jumped much! in addition to what others have said i would suggest using a ground line since shes so new to jumping.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There are alot of things I noticed wrong here actually, and I don't agree with some of the things other people said..

For your position, you look like you do need to shorten your stirrups a couple holes, but the biggest flaw is that your not sitting properly causing your leg to come out in front of you, a easy way to determine this is to ride around a couple times stirrupless, this will allow you to find your center of gravity and then put your feet in te stirrups without changing your seat

Another thing is that your reins are too long tighten them up a nice bit but keep your contact soft and be aware that your hands aren't too low, they should be a bit high so that you keep your horse light in the front. Your hands also need to be quiet but let them move with your horses motion so your not restricting them or setting them off balance.

Last of all sit tall :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well first off I always recommend wearing a helmet when jumping even over the little ones. The stirrups need to be a tad shorter; at this length your in a char seat at the trot. You have potentially soft hands but just try to move with the horse instead of against the movement. Shorten your rains until you have full contact. Try not to lean forward so much and drive with your hips. Open up your hips so you sit more balanced. When you shorten your rains make sure there is a straight line from your elbow to the bit. Make sure your horse has proper collection when jumping. You have excellent jumping and even dressage potential. I'm so happy you don't 2-point before the jump. You rise at the perfect time ( right when the front legs cone off the ground) you will do well in the show ring!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.