The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I wouldn't pay what they're asking for the second horse, but I do adore both. The second rider isn't bad at all.
Though the first horse is a looker with nice lines she was only shown locally and the second horse has a nice record.

It's a toughy, I wish I had 20k to spend on a horse.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
I wouldn't pay what they're asking for the second horse, but I do adore both. The second rider isn't bad at all.
I just watched the vids, not the price and such. Also, to me, the second ride is leaning forward too much and something is off with his "post"

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just watched the vids, not the price and such. Also, to me, the second ride is leaning forward too much and something is off with his "post"
Please do not critique the rider. That is not me riding and I am really just interesting in what you see with the horses. I like them both, but was just seeing if I missed something.

Also, the 2nd horse is $16,000, not $20,000.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I don't know much about either discipline. I did like how quiet "blue" seemed over the jumps but that lead change at :50 was not nearly as smooth as they claimed in the ad, however, it could have been rider error or an off day, I don't know.

Sensation seems like a very sweet horse and I have no problem with him in the video (though it does look like a very amateur rider), but in the ad picture, I don't like the angle of his pasterns or how straight his hocks are.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sensation is 15.

Blue is 5 going on 6.

Just because of that, Blue is my pick.

Sensation may have more shows under his belt, but clearly, there's a reason (age). He also looks horrendously boring and push-button-ey. Reminds me of the school-master at my old barn, we used to call him "wet-noodle-Will". Why in the world does a horse like that need a martingale anyway?

At least Blue seems like she has a bit of personality. And she's young still, she's got more potential I think.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
^martingales are the thing in the hunter ring...

I love both... do you want a younger horse to bring up or one you can go show and win on right now? That would determine the horse for me.. if there wasn't such a big age different i would go with the 2nd :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^martingales are the thing in the hunter ring...

I love both... do you want a younger horse to bring up or one you can go show and win on right now? That would determine the horse for me.. if there wasn't such a big age different i would go with the 2nd :D
This is actually going to be a horse for both my mother and me. We want a quiet horse, since my my mom hasn't been jumping for too long, but we don't mind something that is young and needs a little work. I show at A and B shows, but we don't need anything extremely fancy and we don't need anything that does over 3'

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
As long as horse 2 vets I would go with him- unless you want something to bring along BUT if mom wants to learn more and show horse 2 sounds best to me :D

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
The first horse has only adequate to good hunter form over fences. For that kind of money for that age of horse I would want to see a horse that snapped his knees a little more and was tighter below the knees. Attractive and typy, and the better mover, but I'm also curious that the seller didn't include a still photo over fences to better evaluate form.

The second horse, if he is as the ad represents, is quite inexpensive.

He does look like he requires a lot of leg to ride; I think the other poster's comments about the rider were due to the rider trying to push the horse forward without being obvious about it, including overposting. I would also suspect he has some minor soundness or maintenence issues, most show hunters at that age with an extensive resume do.

I'm curious at your selection of these two horses - one's green-ish, and one's a been there, done that packer. Which type of horse are you looking for and which do you need?

Sorry, just read the second page of posts - based on your description of what you need, the packer may be your best bet. But I'd certainly try the younger horse. I'd just ask a lot of questions about what kind of program he/she's in and how often he/she requires a trainer tune up to continue to go in that fashion.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Superman, sorry for asking, but I see you are in DC. If you are interested I can PM you 2 jumper/hunter barns in area I take lessons from. One breeds, raises and trains own horses and she has number lovely ones on sale ($15 - 20K range), 2nd person (jumper trainer with 40 years of experience) looks for specific horses for the clients all around MD/PA.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Is it just me, or are both of those horses terribly over-priced??? The second horse sounds great, but maybe it's that rider does nothing for him. The poor horse has a wtf look on his face..lol. I love the first horse. She's beautiful, and young, and still has the potential to be fine tuned, and looks like she'd require a bit more skill to ride. Good luck in finding a new horse, I love seeing posts titled "My new horse!"

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it just me, or are both of those horses terribly over-priced??? The second horse sounds great, but maybe it's that rider does nothing for him. The poor horse has a wtf look on his face..lol. I love the first horse. She's beautiful, and young, and still has the potential to be fine tuned, and looks like she'd require a bit more skill to ride. Good luck in finding a new horse, I love seeing posts titled "My new horse!"
My area is pretty expensive and we aren't really interested in traveling far. If anyone could find something cheaper and in the area (20854 zip code) I would appreciate it.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Seahorseys,

I don't think either horse is at all overpriced considering their experience and area of the country. That is simply what a made show hunter with changes and legitmate show experience costs. You can also spend a *lot* more, depending on what your competitive aspirations are.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Seahorseys,

I don't think either horse is at all overpriced considering their experience and area of the country. That is simply what a made show hunter with changes and legitmate show experience costs. You can also spend a *lot* more, depending on what your competitive aspirations are.
I have to agree. I did not think either horse was overpriced for what you are shopping for.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.