The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants riding critique on this photo. Yes i gained permission from her ;)
OH! She also wanted a conformation critique of the pony too if yas dont mind (the horse is a BrumbyXAustralian pony i think)

Attachments

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
She is riding with her stirrups *much too long* - like 3 or 4 holes. Once her stirrup is shorter, she should be able to sink some weight in her heel and close her leg around the horse.

Other than that, she's sitting up with a flat, relaxed back and looking where she's going. Her hand and arm are in the correct position with thumbs up, elbows at her side and a straight line from bit to elbow. However, she's somewhere between loose reins and light contact, and needs to pick one or the other.

Horse seems to be moving forward actively.

Fix the stirrup and lower leg and it will be a nice picture.

For a confo critique, it would be best to post actual confo photos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep, shorten them stirrups a bit. Or if she does want to ride long, get her to do some no stirrups work first. She'll find it easier to put more weight in her heel. And bring her shoulders back a little bit and eyes up, with a little more bend in her elbows, and you have a great pic =]

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
She needs to shorten up her stirrup holes a few holes up so she can sink her heel down..

·
Registered
688 Posts
I can't tell if thats a dressage saddle but many people starting out riding dressage ride with stirrups too long. Shorten them about 2-3 holes until she can get her heels down more.

Rest looks good for a starting rider - once she gets the stirrups set the correct length she'll be able to lengthen her leg (push knee "down") while maintaining the proper body and leg position.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Shorten your stirrups. Maybe just a touch more rein. I'm not so good at english riding critique's so I won't go much into detail ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bahah i just noticed alot of you are Western riders and american. Haha
Yeah thanks for that guys,ill forward this to her. I took this photo, and i remember at the time it was just a plain all purpose saddle. Thansk again!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
stirrups way too long! toes will come up more too if she shortens them
heels down
elbows bent and hands down a little but not leaning
more contact with the pony's mouth, reins look like washing lines a little

appart from that, very quiet seat position by the looks of that picture, ive seen a lot worse, well done

pony- very pretty, a little downhill but thats it :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.