The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics from a show a while back. This is Thunder. He was 5 at the time. This was the first time he had ever been in a show or anything like this, and he was very hard to control and skittish that year, but we placed a few times. Tell me what you think about his breed, confo, and all that jazz. Your guess on breed is as good as mine, because when he was sold, it was as a mustang, but I dont think thats true.(sorry for my bad riding, tese were a couple years ago) Feel free to critique any and every thing.

and my favorite:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
These are kind of hard to critique since you can't see all of him in any one picture, and I am terrible at that anyway.

I would say maybe that he has some TB in him, possibly a TB x QH cross, though his head reminds me a lot of some of the walkers I have been going to look at.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am thinking definately walker, looking at the size of the head and the hip that he has. Looks like the person on the buckskin is having trouble holding her mount in as well (were ya racing.. lol) I know what its like to have an excitable mount under you in the show ring, it can be frustraiting. Do you still own this horse? How is he doing for you now if you do? He looks in great shape in the pictures so you do well with his up keep. And It looks like you had fun and that is the most important thing anyway... you make a good team..

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK, I have never seen that breed before, cause in Czech Rep. We have so little breeds from America, we have mostly german and Frenh breeds:( But from pictures I saw, he looks to me like little in morgan-type maybe?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I still have him, and he has only gotten better from that year, though we mostly do extensive groundword and bareback riding, no more showing..
And I'm very ashamed to say that the girl on the buckskin is my sister...she thinks its necessary to hold up Buttercup's head, i hate it..but shes no longer riding, so I've fixed Buttercup with holding her head lower (or I'm working on it)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I really dont have anything to say about your boy, but he is very cute!!

For you, I would just say look up more!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. That's something I've really been working on. It's not ust when I ride either, I do it sometimes when I walk and things like that. I dont really know why.

Oh, I forgot to say he's not gaited, if that helps any.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wasnt trying to criticize your sister or the horse. i was just noticing she looked like she was holding her in.. and i was making a joke about the race, because it kind of looked that way.. and because your showing, I know you are intending to go slow.. anyway.. Its a shame your sister stopped riding.. it is a fun sport - I wasnt trying to offend anyone. I was merely commenting and offering an opinion.. you did look like you were having fun.. you have pretty horses. and seem to take care of them well..

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Your pictures were really difficult to see. I think once you post some side, full body shot views of your riding, then you should get more responses to your thread. In the mean time, keep riding and working on getting better-something we all need to do :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just as an overall critique as I don't have time to give a full; is you rely too much on your reins to slow your mount down rather than calm him down with your seat/body. In the first image you're bracing your arms completely thus your horse will feel trapped and confined, making his nervous-ness worse. You need to comunicate that he's okay through a confident, soft seat - not holding him back.
Work on developing a more correct seat and you and your horse will improve dramatically. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.