The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've introduced Eve many a times here already so I'll save you that speach, but she's now roughly 32 months (just over 2 1/2 years) old. I think her shoulder's caught up to her hip alot, but she still looks butt high to me. She's not NEARLY as cow hocked as she used to be, but it's still there...just wondering what other tid bits you guys can point out! These aren't the greatest pics, but I was alone today so this is what I got! Thanks!!!

Side shot

Back legs

Front legs

And I couldn't help it...this is her belly spot!

Standing all awkward in the pasture...

So please let me know what you think! I know she's not done growing yet, but I think she's going to turn out very nicely put together! :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
What a cutie! What breed is she? She's clearly got some draft in there, and they typically take longer to mature than lighter breeds - she'll definitely have time to outgrow her butt-highness.

She looks like she needs her feet done BADLY though - her hooves are too low, and her feet too flat in general. The left front, especially, looks very bad.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eve is a Clydesdale/TB filly so I expect her to grow until she's 6-7. She's roughly 15.3hh right now but I imagine she'll mature between 16.2 and 17hh.

As for her feet, I had my farrier trim her on Dec 23/09. This man taught me to trim my own but I've never trimmed drafts before so I've had him back out a couple times just to take care of her and show me how. What do you mean by her hooves are too low? He trimmed to the shape of HER foot, can't just trim the way you like to get the shape you want...it's not functional and she has very weak quarters so we have to keep her heels trimmed up. She doesn't have very "tall" hooves, they're very flat by design and we have to work with what she has...but if you have a better idea, other than shoes, then I'm more than happy to hear it. Let me know what we can do differently and I'll consider it!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not trying to be snotty, only posting this as an example...but this is what happened the last time someone tried to let her heels grow out a bit to look like a "normal" light horse hoof...

As a Clyde/TB I knew her feet wouldn't be picture perfect, and I see the shape of them as her only major flaw. That being said, if I trim her the way her feet NEED to be trimmed instead of how I WANT them to look, she's more than functional and sound. Since this happened, I've been taking her heels down and giving her more of a barefoot trim, same as my trusted farrier (I've only trimmed her twice, this last time not being one of them) and her cracks have been growing out, haven't delt with a chip since.

This is her foot now - she has a good 1/4 - 1/2 inch of heel, which is all she needs to keep her angles proper. I've found her feet grow out a bit faster than my other girls, but I've had her on a hoof suppliment since the snap off pictured above (Dec 08 ). I touch up her feet about every 4 weeks instead of every 6-8 weeks, just to make sure the cracks grow out nicely. I'll be trimming her again next weekend.

Again, any suggestions as to how to do this differently are more than welcome, I'll certainly take them into consideration so long as there's reasoning.

·
Registered
356 Posts
wow, at that picture. i don't even know what is going on in it but no good times there. looks heavens better now. she is butt-high, but she's supposed to be, she's growing and probably will for quite some time. cute little spots!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The snap off pic was from a couple months after I bought her...but the lady that had her since a weanling literally did NOTHING with her except feed her. She had NO trust for humans and it took me over 3 months just to get her comforablt to let me touch her and pick out her feet, nevermind trim...I'd been keeping an eye on her one hind hoof because there was a HUGE crack right up to the cornet band and without warning, her entire heel cracked off. Just gone. So for weeks I was putting iodine and using gauze and a diaper to keep from frostbite, considering it was -40 when this happened. Oddly she went from being sketchy about me picking her feet out to completely comfortable letting me dress it...this is when her real foot training started. Since then she's been a doll to handle, after many hours of work, but it was getting easier.

It was a scary experience since I didn't know if it would grow back attached to her regular hoof or be a seperate piece...took over 9 months and lots of hoof suppliment, but it grew back attached and she's been sound since. I've spent quite a bit of time and effort on her feet...but any tips on how to better them are more than welcome!

And thanks Seahorseys, I expect her to grow into her big butt...just takes time! I think she's got fairly straight legs, no? I know that's not the *best* pic because I just had her tied and hoped she stayed still...but quick question for all the draft owners out there - about what age to their knees close? I've never owned a draft breed before and I understand they take longer...we're doing some LIGHT riding as of now, only 30 minutes at a time mostly walk and whoa, working on turning with some trotting but not much...I don't think it's too much for her but I don't want to do anything that may damage her legs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi what a beautiful horse. As far as trimming - we love Pete Ramey. If you can buy his book or even go online he shows how to trim so you do not need shoes for any horse. He has worked miracles on horses ( donkeys etc) that most would have given up on. My husband does all of our horses - only self trained with Ramey stuff - he gives exact directions and measurements. We have a Friesian sport and quarter horses. best of luck

·
Registered
356 Posts
holy cow, evening shadows, that sounds like my worse nightmare. Glad you turned an ugly situation into a valuable learning experience with your horse. Frida used to be iffy about her hindlegs, but I just spent tons of time picking them up, brushing them, handling them and now she props them up for me as I walk over and say "give it, please!". A lady I use to board with had a clydesdale, from speaking to her she said the knees don't close till 5-6. Her horse was gigantic but he was certainly a gentle giant, a cuddlebug. Most of them I've seen just seem so adorably carefree. How is she to ride? Most of the riding drafts I've seen have to be ridden with spurs because they have a tendency to be pokey. Maybe the TB muddled that out? :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heh heh heh...pokey isn't something she's practising! LOL! She's got a nice walk, an ok job that can be amped up to a decent trot and I have yet to canter her. Even the trot work is limited, and will be moreso now that I know her knees won't close til 5 or later. I'm in NO rush to get her trained fully undersaddle. My goal this winter was to have her accept a rider and she's done that. We'l continue with our walk/trot work, but I have no desire to push her too fast for her brain or body to handle. She's very alert, very looky, so for the moment our goal with every ride is just to relax and only worry about what I'm asking her to do.

I think I'll be doing alot more long reining work and see about pulling a cart before going ahead with everything else under saddle...way less stress on her joints. That being said I'm not about to ask her to haul a sleigh that'll fit 20 people, thinking about just a 2 seater low entry type cart...

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
In that last picture it looks like she has some extreme white line stretching... The white area is the shape of her foot, the brown should not be there... Her feet look very flared.Barefoot for Soundness. You can learn a little about flares and correct hoof shape...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with above post.. You've probably attempted to give her a nice wide hoof, but Its the heels/bars that need to wide out, not the hoof itself. That just comes after giving her good trim after trim.. they will widen on there own, other than that her feet look pretty good. So when you trim her feet, remember to take more off the sides.

As for her conformation, it looks as if the picture was taken at an awkward angle, other than her being bum high she also looks very heavy in the front, her hindend looks too small for her front end. but as said it looks as if its the angle of the picture thats at fault.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ditto the above 2 posts, and the website that Honeysuga suggested is great! Lots of pics/diagrams and explanations.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you very much for the site, but I've actually been having my trusted farrier trim her last...we'd switched to a new guy over last summer and he kinda botched...everyone. Thankfully we went back to our old farrier and we're working on getting them all back in working order! We did realise how flared she was but I've never had a draft before so I've been getting professionals to trim her for me mostly so far. I'll definitely take more off the sides on her next trim and post pics for further feedback...

The pic was kinda at an awkward angle, and the ground isn't super flat being that it's covered in snow and ice. Plus her only being a 2 1/2 year old draft cross she's bound to be a little lop-sided right now! LOL was just wondering what others saw that I was missing. She IS very front end heavy though...has been since I bought her as a yearling. I swear when she was young I thought she'd tip forward with that big head and standing a little under herself with her front legs...LOL!

Thanks for all the advise, I'll check out that site right away! My computer's being silly and won't open it at the moment...

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
You are welcome. Just FYI, but if your farrier is a farrier and not trained to doa barefoot trim, you might want to maybe bring him some pictures of what you are wanting and explain why. Most farriers are trained to be farriers only and usually do not understand all the mechanics of a barefoot hoof...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
She is a stunning horse and I'm not even going to say another about her conformation because I think she's perfect! Man do I love those draft crosses! She looks alot like my girl (Who is the same age as her!)

As for her feet, I still see a ton of flare. I have a great farrier for my reining mare too, but he's not the best with barefoot trims.
For my trail horses I have a GREAT barefoot trimmer who would work wonders with your girls feet and get them looking alot less splayed and flaired. I don't like to see alot of heal so that isn't an issue I really have. I would just like to see her flare and toe brought it a bit!

It's so awesome that you are doing so much with her and really learning how to deal with draft feet, since they are alot different. I will see if I can take pictures of my fillies feet so you can compare (she's been done every 8 weeks from my barefoot trimmer for the last year and her feet have really transformed into perfect little feet!)

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Just had to say that my Clyde cross filly is front end heavy too, I've been told by other people more experienced with draft cross then me that she will even out as she gets older, which I'm sure your girl will to.

And my filly, while her feet have a perfect shape, she does toe in a bit in the front (this is a natural thing for the draft breeds, it's not her foot though, it's her bone)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although the farrier I've had for years does do some shoeing at some local barns, he's been mostly barefoot for the last 20 years. I'm not meaning to defend him as much as I'm sure I sound like, but this one trim isn't the best to base his work on...he's correcting a summer's worth of bad trims. Can only do so much in one shot. Yes, there is alot of flare left, I'm not denying that...but you should've seen them before! That being said, I will be taking over her feet myself, having been trimming all my girls for the past 7+ years. It will be a learning experience for me, I know draft's have different feet than the average horse, but my goal is to make her functional, not necessarily "pretty".

FGR - thank you! I'd LOVE to see some pictures from all angles of your filly's tootsies! What is she crossed with? How tall is she now? What kind of work have/are you doing with her? Sorry for all the questions - I don't have any friends with drafts! LOL

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I will try to get some pictures of her feet this weekend when someone is out to help me! It's hard to hold her feet up and take a picture when you are as clumsy as me! LOL

Caly, my girl is crossed with QH. She is coming three year old (not sure what month) and is currently standing at 16 3hh. She will mature to at least 17hh I'm sure. She is a BIG girl. She has a ton of height, but she is still pretty fine. I can't wait to see her fill out some!

We've just done some light riding on her. Working on her turn on the forhand, turn on the haunches, rounding out, moving off leg pressure, stoping, turning, backing and walking. No trot work yet. Once it's less icy here hubby will probably start doing some light trot work.

She's a pretty fantastic horse (we got her from another member of the forum, who has become such a dear friend) and we just love her. She's got a golden personality and is always wanting to please. And as much as I LOVE my full blooded QH she is ALOT smarter than them. Everything is much easier for her to learn.

BTW I saw the vid of your girl bucking on ya?! Any more of that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW I saw the vid of your girl bucking on ya?! Any more of that.

No more bucking since I've changed her saddle and laid her down...I've got a topic going in Training about that. I was originally using my western saddle on her but I think her shoulders come back quite a bit farther than my other horses and it was impeding on her range of motion, plus she had NO respect for what I was asking so put those together and she just wanted to get rid of me! LOL! Now I'm using my Supra all purpose english on her and it just fits her better...and I can't explain how much good laying her down has done for her respect for human space and for what I'm asking her to do. Now, it's actually registering in her head that she has to do what I ask instead of her thinking about it and actually seeing not doing it as an option!

In the bucking vid, falling off was totally my fault though. I was leaning forward expecting her to scoot forward when I applied my leg...not up! LOL I've since started sitting up no matter what I'm asking her! I think I could've stuck with her through it had I not been off balance to begin with...

I checked out your girl in your barn - she's gorgeous! Looks BIG! 16.3hh at 3 years old...that kinda makes me worry that Eve's still under the 16hh mark! I think she's just doing her growing a little more even that the average youngster...gains some height, then some weight. She's always been pretty solid through her growth spurts, only really gangly stage was as a yearling!

Sounds like you're doing well with her training, I'm trying to take everything nice and slow with Eve - her TB side has definitely shown up in the last 6 months! She was a Clyde yearling but a TB 2 year old...curious to see what she is this year! LOL!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Yeah I get ya! I've been there. Leaning forward trying to get forward motion and all of a sudden you are on the ground looking up at the sky....lol Not fun!

Caly is a big girl, way to big for me. I will probably never ride her (I'm just over 5 feet) but my hubby is doing wonderful with her and they make a great team! He just adores her too, that's HIS baby! Her training is going a little slower that we would want, but hubby is hardly home. He was home for less than a two weeks in the last half of the year...it sucks.

I wouldn't worry to much about your girls heigh, she's got alot of time left. I wish my girl would put more into her weight rather than height. She's a hard keeper and is ALWAYS in that lanky gagly stage. I hope this is the last year!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.