The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that he is heavy, wide neck and his head is small. But other than that I'm a little lost. I had someone with me at the auction and she told me there wasn't anything major wrong with him before I bid on him. So go ahead and tell me what's wrong and what's right. Sorry about all the mud. The snow is starting to melt and it rained.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
O my gosh he is a hunk!! Can i have him please. More details, how old, how tall, is he broke bla bla lol. He is super handsome. Looks a tiny bit downhill. Tinsy weeeeny bit cow hocked. Other than that i really dont know lol, im not good at confo.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am not good at confo but he looks adorable and what a chunk! Agree with the down hill and his back looks a bit short. But can't wait to see him shed out and muscled up!

Want more details :)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
He's 9 or 10. Not registered. I haven't measured him yet, lol. I just got him Saturday. I'll measure him asap. I thought he may be a bit downhill. He's pretty broke.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'm definately not the greatest with conformation...but I can't see anything seriously bad about him. His shorter back..makes him look QH'ish type. I don't think (by looking at the pictures) that he looks overly heavy. His legs look pretty square (to me). I'm almost thinking the butt high might be way he's standing (ie: the ice) and not because he's actually butt high.

I love him. I think you did very well with him. I'm sorry if I missed it earlier..but how tall is he?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ridden him? If u have u should take a pic with his gear on. Awww what a spunk! :p

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I've ridden him once. I'll have to get someone to go out with me : )

·
Banned
629 Posts
In terms of a riding horse, the things that work against him are his downhill build, straightness through the stifle, high hock and stifle set and a bit too straight through the knee.

Overall, that makes engagement more difficult and adds pressure to those knees when he's heavy on his forehand.

I can't comment on the hind view because that doesn't look like a 'natural' stance for him behind.

He's a bit crooked legged in front, but I'm not imagining your planning on GP jumping or horse racing...so it's less of an issue.

Enjoy him!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
He is a bit downhill and a touch back at the knee, it looks like. Something is wonky with his back legs, but that may just be the way he is standing. Plus, I bet his legs will look better after you have a chance to get his feet done. He is a darling and you are right, he is a tank. :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
What's so wrong with a downhill build? depends I guess on what you plan to use him for... I'd probably have bid on him too.

His face says to me he could have been proud cut, but I've never had a problem there.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What's so wrong with a downhill build? depends I guess on what you plan to use him for... I'd probably have bid on him too.

His face says to me he could have been proud cut, but I've never had a problem there.
How do you tell from a horses face hes proud cut? just out of curiosity ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
he's a bit downhill which i realise you've been told allready , this can lead to powering to much with his frount end and not engaging with his hind legs , its o too much of a problem it just means it will be harder to get him working from his behind . He also lacks mucscle on his shoulders and where his saddle should go , check his saddle isnt pinching just above the knee pad . Thats about it , he looks a lovely horse =]

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Being downhill is not such a bad thing on a horse that is used for western purposes, it makes it easier for them to drop down in front of a cow and lean into a rope. Not so good for english purposes where working off the hind end is crucial.

How do you tell from a horses face hes proud cut?
In all honesty, you really can't. Many geldings who are cut late will have bigger jowels than a gelding cut at an early age. You take 2 horses of similar breeding and conformation but one is a stally and one is a gelding, the stally will have a bigger jaw almost every time. Many people assume that when a horse has a large jaw or throatlatch, that he is either proudcut or was cut late. That is sometimes true but not always.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Being downhill is not such a bad thing on a horse that is used for western purposes, it makes it easier for them to drop down in front of a cow and lean into a rope. Not so good for english purposes where working off the hind end is crucial.
Actually, that's not how it works. You don't want a horse heavy on its forehand even for western purposes. You can't cut a cow if the horse is heavy on his forehand. The horse will be turned inside out and left behind. You can't do reining if the horse is heavy on its forehand. Nor can you make a fast, clean turn on a barrel if the horse is heavy on his forehand.

A downhill build is a fault in any 'riding' horse and should be bred out of QH's. They never used to be downhill built like they are nowadays.

Many geldings who are cut late will have bigger jowels than a gelding cut at an early age. You take 2 horses of similar breeding and conformation but one is a stally and one is a gelding, the stally will have a bigger jaw almost every time. Many people assume that when a horse has a large jaw or throatlatch, that he is either proudcut or was cut late. That is sometimes true but not always.
What? Where are you getting that information from? Show me the study where testosterone is related to jowl growth in horses.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
In all honesty, you really can't. Many geldings who are cut late will have bigger jowels than a gelding cut at an early age. You take 2 horses of similar breeding and conformation but one is a stally and one is a gelding, the stally will have a bigger jaw almost every time. Many people assume that when a horse has a large jaw or throatlatch, that he is either proudcut or was cut late. That is sometimes true but not always.

I've always heard that too. I take it with a grain of salt, but have also seen it :D

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
ya a QH gelding im looking at, wasnt cut till he was 7 and he has big muscular jowels. a QH gelding that some people borded at the ranch i work at, was gelded late and he had huge jowels.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.