The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, finally found a great pony for my 8 yo son. She's 13.3hh, 10yo, was a therapeutic riding pony for about 4 years, then came to us. She's palomino but kinda dirty right now thanks to all the mud!!!
She's allegedly a Welsh cross but I'm not 100% on that.

P.S. The saddle fits her but not my son lol. That's something we're fixing this week.

Would love to know what you think of her!

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sounds like you've found a good match! She's adorable and he seems quite proud of his new pony! I really like how she's put together, small but sturdy so that as he grows, he can continue with her and not have to "trade up" to a bigger mount quite so fast! She looks very relaxed with him on her, would love to hear how the two progress! Keep us updated! :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
What a cute little mare! She has absolutely gorgeous and HUGE eyes, a lovely, shapely neck (which could be further improved by some more muscling), and a nice angle to her shoulder and hip.

Here's the things I notice:
- She looks just a little rump high in the first pic, could be the way she's standing.
- In the head-on shot she looks cow hocked.
- The shape of her hooves look off, seems like she needs a better trim.
- Her legs seem a little on the short side.

Also, I'm willing to bet that she's lower in her left shoulder than right, and consequently higher in her right hip. Actually, it's pretty obvious that her left front hoof is trimmed shorter than her right. If she's shod (hard to tell with all the mud on her feet), she seems like she could use a wedge pad in the left front to level her up.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
She looks like a great starter horse. I would recommend going over some ground work basics with your son, as in one of your photos the pony turned his head into his space and he backed away. Of course because this is a therapeutic pony it is unlikely that the horse will get an attitude, but your son should learn good ground work basics and establishing that he's the leader on a good solid horse first before working with something a little more testy.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roro - You are absolutely right. He's normally very good with his groundwork but he's so excited about her he hasn't even slept since the day before we brought her home lol. Though excitement isn't an excuse.

Clementine - She is a little off, they haven't been doing a stellar job of her trimming. She isn't shod. But I have an outstanding barefoot farrier so I'm hoping what can be corrected will be over time. She is butt high. Not crazily but enough.

Evening - Yeh he wanted her specifically because she's solid and "tall" (to him haha) and he wants to keep her for 15 years. I told him if he keeps her for 15 years then his younger sister will most likely inherit her. He said no problem, as long as she takes care of her. (warm fuzzy moment)

She was free. All she cost was the gas to haul her here. She's an easy keeper, stays healthy on good hay and pasture. She was tolerant of my son tacking her up. Overall I'm exceptionally happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.