The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics that I took of her today. Critique them if you can. They are hard to tell in some it was raining outside when I tried to take these pics. I do know that her feet need to be trimmed. I will trim them up on Monday. Here she is.....

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do know about the halter mark on her face. It has been taken care of.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I cannot say much for her conformation from these pictures. I do think she stands very under herself in the back.
IMO She needs a new feeding arrangement and/or different feed. She has a big hay (or wormy?) belly (unless she is bred?) and her top line kind of fell off.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That might be due to her dropped hip. Her hip was broken as a yearling and my vet repaired it. I couldn't get her to stand very straight as I tried to hold her and take pics at the same time. No she is not wormy she is 8 or 9 months preggo. She is due at the beginning of the new year. Just critique her the best you can then I will get better pics when it stops raining.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Why are you breeding her? Sorry but she doesn't look of the breeding quality. Can she even deliver a foal safely???

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can I recommend a smaller halter? The current one is falling off her face. One false move and... Haha. In any event, she's got a sweet face, and if it weren't for the dropped hip, she might have a decent topline. She does stand under herself in the front and the back, has a bit of a sickle hock happening and has a low set neck and straight shoulder. She also looks like she toes out slightly on the front feet. She's nice and stocky though. What type of stallion is she bred to?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is bred to my stud. She can deliver safely. She has had 3 other foals with no complications. Before she got injured her original owners were going to show her in halter. Her sire did good there I think. She is an Impressive bred granddaughter. I know that it is hard to critique her because of how she is standing. She didn't really cooperate with me very well today. I will see if I can get her to stand better when my bf can help me out.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Her pics are not very flattering, that's for sure...Lol!

She has a bit long of a back, tying into a steeper sloping croup than I like; she's got sickle hocks, toes out, and is heavy on her front end. She doesn't have a very feminine head, or body really.

Pictures that she is set up better, and groomed and haltered properly may helps some, but to be honest, she's not a mare I would breed, regardless of her breeding; she's got too many attributes that I wouldn't want to pass on...now don't hear me say that she's not an okay looking mare, but the point of breeding would be to improve on the parents, and unless the stud is extremely flawless, that just won't happen here...jmho.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Like others have said, you might get more favourable "reviews" if she was cleaned up and standing nice and alert. :) I know I am far from an expert about this, but imo from what I can tell by these photos she does not possess a conformation that I would consider favourable in terms of breeding. That's beyond the point now, though. What does the stud look like?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really don't think she has good enough comformation, she needs alot of feed and mare care.. IMO i really dont think you should have bred her untill she had a bit more top line and was sure she would be fit enough to have a foal by her side ..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey guys, as much as I agree with you that breeding this mare might have been ill advised, what's done is done, so let's all just congratulate her owner and hope the baby turns out happy and healthy. Also, we don't know the mare or the stud, and she might be far more attractive in person when she's all warm and fuzzy and she's cleaned up and her nose is kissable, so let's not be too down her.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for the feedback. I knew that putting her here to be critiqued I knew that I was going to get more negative replys than positive but anyhow thanks once again. Like I said before she got hurt she was very pretty to look at and even had a show career set before her. Her dropped hip has a lot to do with how she stands. I have a pic of her of when she was a foal and she was very nice standing. I might be able to post that pic of her. To me she is nice enough to breed all of her foals have been correct and I know that one even went and had a show career. She is bred to my paint stud. Mediocre maybe by some people but what I know about the stud I believe that it will be a good match. My vet wanted to breed to him even before he was registered and that was when he was 18 months old. To me my vets opinion is what matters to me. She bred this mare to her stud and had some beautiful foals by her. Her disposition alone I think makes her worthy to be bred. It was never her fault that she got hurt. I know people that breed their stallion due to injury even if they never showed. When she drops her foal I will post pics of it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This mare is fit to have a foal. When I got her from my vet she was exposed to her stud but wasn't in heat enough to catch. So we bred her to our stud. She has gained weight since being in foal. Yes she is HYPP N/N. My vet gave the all clear. I had her do a breeding check on her to make sure she was in good shape and of good weight to carry and deliver a foal. I have been breeding horses for the past 5 years. No I do not breed my mares every year actually when PT foals this year she will not be exposed again until 2011 in the spring. I breed for winter foals as close to the new year as possible. I try to be as responsible as possible when it comes to my mares. They also get very good care while pregnant and all the way through the weaning process.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think she needs a bit more weight and a good grooming.

She has a sweet face though. :)

Good luck on your foal.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree on the grooming. Usually she is left outside and I only bring them in when it gets really cold. Most of the time she is left to herself both of the broodmares are. I take a greater part in their pregnancy as they are nearing the end. I start when they are 5 months out before they foal then I start them on mare and foal feed a half a scoop in the morning then they are turned outside and I don't bring them back in until the next morning feeding. I give them all there shots. Just curious though why do you all think that she is underweight. You can not see her ribs and the only way to feel them is to press on her sides. How much more weight do you all think that she needs to gain? She weighs right now with the weight tape 1100 lbs.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cut her tail because she was covered in cockaburrs. I tried to comb them out but it was tangled really bad so I cut her tail to get them out. I know it makes her look like a yearling because of this. It will grow in time. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I Would Not Consider Her Great Brood Mare Quality Either. I See No Reason To Pass Along Some Of The Traits She Has In An Already Crowded Foal Market. I Can See Past The Halter & Dirt A Clean Mare Doesnt Make Much Difference For Conformation And Bloodlines. Its A Over Bred Line. But Congratulations On This Foal & Hope He/She Is Happy And Healthy. She Is A Cute Mare, I Just See No Reason To Use Her As A Brood Mare. I Also Agree She Could Use Weight On Her Top Line Especially Before She Foals =-)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.