Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an absolutely amazing lesson today and I got some video of it! Yayz! :]
I can't upload the video right now, so I took some stills and hopefully you guys can give a critique from that. Be brutally honest, I'm working on solidifying my position so any tips would be helpful. Also, any critique on Robbie is welcome too! Thanks!! :] :]

Our first jump of the day...hence the awkward jump on Robbie's part hehe.

Jumpity jump.

:] I like this jump hehe.

:]

Haha, awkward angle but Robbie looks cute. :]

A little left behind here...

<33333 Best jump of the day!

Thanks for looking!!!! :] :]

·
Registered
852 Posts
you have a tendency to point your toes off which in turn rolls your thigh and your knee off the saddle and you're squeezing with the back of your calf. just try to remember to keep your toes straight and that will help with everything else.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I actually think the best pic is the one you captioned "a little left behind". Other than the lack of release in that one, your body is in the correct position. Your leg is plumb, your back is flat, your upper body is not tipped forward and your body is centered over your feet for the most part. Of all the pics, that's the only one where you would land on your feet if the horse disappeared from under you. In the others, it looks like you're up your horse's neck a bit. I'm more in the school of thought that all the pieces should line up from shoulder to foot, but I seem to be in the minority these days. I'm sure several will disagree with the above, but that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I found you, Blushie-dear! ~

No critique from me, I'm not a jumper, but I must say that both you and Robbie are looking great! ~
I can't wait to see him at his full potential! When I first saw him at the Willow Grove shows, I admired him already. Can't wait to see him in a few monthes! <3

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Very nice team. A really lovely horse. I seem to prefer #4 & #8 myself. Nice even front end....

As stated above, you are grasping with the back of your calf causing your toes to point out. I saw an event rider hook a flag with her toes out like that and she rotated and broke that ankle. Other than that, you and your horse work well together (at least the photos make it look as if you do ; )

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FoxyRoxy1507 -- I totally understand what you are saying, I have a super bad habit of pointing out my toes. Mainly because I need to use my spur hardcore and the fact I have been taught to point out all my riding career. XD I can see how my position will become more stable if my toes were pointed forward, but how do I use my spur and point foreward at the same time?

MyBoyPuck -- I can see what you're saying about if my horse was gone from under me I'd land on my feet and that's why my position is best in that picture. However, I've always been taught to lean up a bit over bigger fences in order for the horse to round up under you and so you can also give a proper release? I can definitely see why sitting up can help you if your horse is gone from under you, but Robbie rounds up over the jump so much and I have to give so much release that I find it so hard to sit more upright (hence the lack of release). Robbie is the cute hunter "look-at-everything-like-crazy" type so I'm not sure how to sit up and give a proper release as he peeks over the fence?

dressagexlee -- -sgffdgfd- Yay!!!!! I'm so happy you joined Lee! :] :] Hehe, thank youuuu! I'm super excited for show season to start up again... I hope even though you aren't showing hunter/jumper I'll still get to see you at the shows!! :] :] And you must formally introduce me to Mr. Handsome Freddy hehe.

HalfPass -- Thank you so much! It's crazy how much both me and him have grown over the past couple months. It's really starting to feel that we can tackle the big stuff without any hesitation. :]

Allison Finch -- Thank you! He is truely the nicest horse I've ever ridden, he has such power and potential for a 5 year old. :] I also agree with you, I really like #4 and #8. I think it's because Robbie is jumping awesome and I don't look like a fishy flopping around up there. XD Ouch!! I'm trying really hard to keep my toes forward, but like I stated before, I don't know how to use my spur and my inner calf at the same time. I've been taught by not-so-great trainers for the majority of my life and I'm not sure what I'm doing right and wrong now. I have an amazing trainer now, but my old habits are still over-ruling what is stated as "right". :[

Thanks guys for the feedback!! :] Keep the critiques comming hehe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i agree with you, blush, on which jump was the nicest! the only thing i would say is to point your toes in, they are pointed out and that rotates your knee away from the saddle.

other than that, you guys look great! adorable horse!

·
Registered
852 Posts
FoxyRoxy1507 -- I totally understand what you are saying, I have a super bad habit of pointing out my toes. Mainly because I need to use my spur hardcore and the fact I have been taught to point out all my riding career. XD I can see how my position will become more stable if my toes were pointed forward, but how do I use my spur and point foreward at the same time?

if you need to use your spurs you should only be having to squeeze right before you take off for that extra little oomph but while you're in the air you should be turning your toes more forward/straight. theres not much squeezing with the spur over the fence can do so try that next time you come to a fence.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hmm, well, not bad acually, pretty nice.

I just noticed that you are doing something weird with your hands... Like the picture that has "best jump of the day" right above it, See how you kind of look like a bunny rabbit with your hands? I would just suggest keeping your wrists and arms like you did in 4 + 8.... Also, I would use more of a release, in like one or two of them, it looks like your reins are really tight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with #4 and #8 being the nicest. Only issue is your toes are pointing out, but this has been said by others already. Just wanted to say what a nice horse with so much potential! And your two point is pretty good next to the toes.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fourtwentyam -- Thanks for your comments! :] I am definitely trying to point my toes in like crazy. It feels really wierd since I've been taught to point them out, but at least my knee doesn't pop out over fences haha.

FoxyRoxy1507 -- That totally makes way more sense! I was so confused on how to use my spur and keep my toes in and now I understand how I can. :] Thanks for the advice. I'll try it in my next lesson!

XxHunterJumperxX -- Thanks! Yeah, I can see how my hands look a bit funky in that picture...what happened is that there was another rider on the other side of the jump and I wasn't sure if I was going to do the jump or not..so Robbie kinda took off in an awakard spot and was a bit before the motion. XD It shows it really well in the video, I kinda suck at explaining it haha. :] But that's why my hands look wierd in only that picture. I will also try more release over the fences. I never know how much release to give because some fences he peeks down way more than others haha. So I might end up with way too much release or not enough.

Sophia -- Thank you so much! :] Robbie is really starting to come into his own, I'm glad everybody else is seeing the potenial in him that I do. :] :]

·
Registered
243 Posts
Overall, you two look awesome together. Remember to focus on stretching up into a centered half seat and letting your horse close your hip angle over the jump. Don't overfold and lean on your horse's neck. Also, focusing on keeping your toes straight will really solidify your position. I totally relate to how it is how to do that with spurs, but try to only use the spurs when needed. To fix my bad habit of turning my toes out, I carried a dressage whip at all times except when showing. Then all you need to do is flick your wrist and it send your horse right forward. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I actually think the best pic is the one you captioned "a little left behind". Other than the lack of release in that one, your body is in the correct position. Your leg is plumb, your back is flat, your upper body is not tipped forward and your body is centered over your feet for the most part. Of all the pics, that's the only one where you would land on your feet if the horse disappeared from under you. In the others, it looks like you're up your horse's neck a bit. I'm more in the school of thought that all the pieces should line up from shoulder to foot, but I seem to be in the minority these days. I'm sure several will disagree with the above, but that's my 2 cents.
I agree with this. That was exactly what first came into my mind when I saw the pictures.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
apc11196 -- Thank you so much! :] My hunter training has gotten me into the bad habit of jumping "down" to my horse, rather then letting him come up to me. I will work on keeping my body up, cause when I do I get a much better jump from him haha. :3
And I really like your idea about keeping a dressage whip to send him forward. He is a solid, lazy (or calm haha) warmblood type so he doesn't put effort into anything he isn't impressed by, so he needs tons of encouragement. I think I may school with a dressage whip and hopefully that will get him more snesitive to my leg. Thanks! :] :]

Any others? :]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.