The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 year old mare , 15hh, grade.
She was supposedly from a place that bred saddlebreds and saddlebred crosses. She’s got a very lovely big expressive trot, but struggles with canter.
When I first started her and rode her out on the road she did break into a “gait” at a fast walk before organizing herself into a trot. And would hold it. (I’ve shown Peruvian Pasos and Rocky Mountain Horses so am well aware of a gait when I feel it). I strongly discouraged it and pushed her for a nice clean walk to trot transition and she no longer gets into that ambling gait. Because of this I do suspect there’s saddlebred in there … even though she looks like a Welsh x QH to me haha .

Please excuse her feet in the “confo” photos. When I got her , she’d only ever had her feet “trimmed” by a rancher on a TIPPING TABLE. So you could not touch her feet by a long shot, and they were super off balance . Has taken almost a year of working with her feet/legs and gradual corrections to get her right.
Breaking her was easier than convincing her that it was safe to let me pick up her feet and I wouldn’t tip her . Ugh.
Horse Working animal Halter Horse tack Bridle

Horse Vertebrate Working animal Halter Horse tack

Horse Sky Plant Working animal Horse tack

Horse Sky Cloud Working animal Plant

Horse Horse tack Halter Working animal Bridle

What she currently looks like (winter in Canada ) LOL
Horse Sky Natural environment Natural landscape Working animal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And despite the fact that I personally think she looks weak behind, un-athletic, stout and tubby ….. she’s surprisingly capable. This pic was taken within 3 months of her being started under saddle and mostly trail ridden , so she’s not even properly balanced or developed yet. This was just her “winging it”.

Horse Show jumping Equestrian helmet Sky Helmet

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wow she is definitely a natural jumper. Nothing about her conformation looks to bad to me. Shes definitely a more compact type though but i love that. Your right she's not super athleticly built but a good temperarant makes up for that. She is in proportion and nicely put together at least. I'm sure many others will have much more detailed critiques but what I will say is in many of the pictures she is stepping out a little. She could of been trained to do this or it could be pain. Just somthing to note.

·
Registered
50,795 Posts
It's really hard to tell. She kind of looks a bit like she has some Tenn walker blood, but who know. She has a wonderful shoulder, thought it is a bit steeper angle than the hip angle. Buts she has a great heartgirth and might make a super long distance endurance ride. I reallly like her conformation , all of it. Her humerus bone is angled nicely, which helps a horse be able to lift it more up into the body, thus lifting the knees better when jumping.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Wow, I like her! Heck of a shoulder on that mare. I see the TWH possibility, and maybe QH, but whatever, she is a little powerhouse, isn't she? I don't think her rear end is weak so much as her shoulder is huge. Just a nice mare.

That tipping table story is wild.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She’s definitely a powerful little package ! Very, very, sure footed. She can trot and canter through terrain I would break an ankle jogging through. She knows where her feet are and she’s very quick on them when she has to be ….. “HAS TO” being the key phrase. She would happily walk all day haha.

I rather like her. This is a little mare that despite being grade , if she ever got a career ending injury or was off for a year I would breed her for a foal to keep.
Her disposition is also second to none . 2 months under saddle and she taught my boyfriend to ride , hauled out and rode in the mountains.
She’s packed beginners, seniors, and children …. Still hasn’t been under saddle for a year.
She’s as trustworthy as they come , will do anything you ask , loves to work, and is incredibly intelligent.
She’s broke to drive too !!!!

Bought her as a resale project …. Turned down two 10k offers. I’m keeping this one !
Horses like her are a rare gem.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
To me her shoulder, neck set and hindquarters would make me think half saddlebred.
Google images show some appy/saddlebred crosses that look similar to her. Saddlebreds are often great jumpers.
Quite possibly she was giving you a version of the slow gait at just over a walking speed on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts