The Horse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
OH DANG! Those photos didn't help my growing obsession with horse #2. I think it just got a LOT worse. I hope you don't mind if I stalk these guys :) He was and will be absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait for updated pictures after his bath, *sigh* in the spring LOL

·
Registered
298 Posts
squeeee! i know #2!!! :eek: i wouldnt have recognized him from the first photo though o_O my god.. how can anyone let such a gorgeous horse get in such a state? D:

sooo excited to see pictures of him cleaned up :D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I think we will have some good news and updated, cleaner, happier photos of the stallion next week. I have his mane dreads half worked out and we are moving him outside into a jump proof fence this weekend. Well, jump proof being a relative term. We shall see!

In the mean time the baby is doing fantastic, adjusting well to the outdoors. His knees are already happier. I have done some work on his front feet, now working with his back legs so that he'll nicely comply to having his heels lowered. Still trying to find a farrier who can do corrective trims. Sigh. OH &... Registered name suggestions are welcome?

·
Registered
117 Posts
. Registered name suggestions are welcome?
Did I read in the first post that his sire is Guaranteed Gold right? What is his dam's registered name? Are you wanting a name that incorporates sire/dam's name(s)? Or any particular theme?

He looks a lot better already and appears to be a big boy, how tall is he? Is he going to go grey?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is he going to go grey?
No - he cant! :) The dam is bay and GG is cremello, so the only possibilities are single dilute colours - palomino, buckskin, smoky black, smoky brown. He has a lot of "sooty" in his coat, so he could well be a sooty buckskin or I am also leaning towards smoky brown since GG has thrown several of them already :)

The dam was 15.2 but I think if she had had a better start in life, she may well have gone over 16hh. Another sad tale. The stallion was "leased" to an "individual" who forged a lot of documents and the rightful owner fought a long court battle to get the stallion put back into his name and as part of the legal settlement, got some of the babies that had been produced from "the individual". They were all in horrible shape when he picked them up, had not been fed properly, feet full of really bad thrush, feet not trimmed - the works. The dam of this colt was one of those youngsters. If she had been looked after properly, I think she would have achieved 16hh +, so genetically, this colt should have no problem getting to be that size ...

New image - he is looking so much better already! He has a beautiful shoulder on him and I think once the swelling comes down out of his joints and the angles are corrected on his feet and the tendons and ligaments have time to re-adjust to the new angles, he will be a beautiful mover as well! :)

You're doing a wonderful job with him. You should be really proud of how far he's come in such a short space of time ... :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
No - he cant! :) The dam is bay and GG is cremello, so the only possibilities are single dilute colours - palomino, buckskin, smoky black, smoky brown. He has a lot of "sooty" in his coat, so he could well be a sooty buckskin or I am also leaning towards smoky brown since GG has thrown several of them already :)
Lol, ok thanks - I know absolutely nothing about color/color genetics! :D

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I think he has a nice body. But nothing screams stallion material to me besides his rarer color, which btw, he looks buckskin to me, not smokey black. And his genetics say buckskin is possible between the sire/dam cross. DNA tested would tell you for sure.

His legs are terrible. Period. Maybe with proper farrier work, they can do something to keep him sound in the future but no one that shows is going to breed to him because of those legs.

He looks to be in good health other then the obvious leg issue. Not underweight or anything. But I'm wondering if he's been receiving the correct vitamins and protein content for him. That could cause bone deformities in growing horses if he's not getting a proper diet.

What a shame. He could have been an expensive, sound, healthy, happy animal. And Guarenteed Gold's stud fee isn't cheap, why would people spend the money just to do that to a foal?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I think he looks better already too! More lively at least, now that he's got some fresh air. It sounds like he's coming around quickly with you handling him.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
After reading through the whole thread, I understand a little better about what this guys been though. It's so unfortunate that no-one could step up for the husband and take care of these guys properly.

He looks a lot better in the round pen then he did in the first pictures posted! Happier. And I'm 100% positive he's a sooty buckskin.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
He looks much better now than he did in the barn. I'm with GG's owner on this one. I am 100% sure that he is a smokey brown. Keep us updated with how he does. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Registered name..."I'm so cute Cecillia is going to steal me!" AAAAAH!
There's gotta be a comedian in every group, doesnt there?! :lol:

I'm with GG's owner on this one. I am 100% sure that he is a smokey brown.
After seeing SO many of them that GG has produced, I am really thinking he is one as well ... :) Thats where I'd put my money anyhow ...

And his genetics say buckskin is possible between the sire/dam cross. DNA tested would tell you for sure.
Correct. But with a bay mare and a cremello stallion, all dilute colours are possible :). Pet DNA is the only lab currently doing the At test (for the brown gene) so if the At test wasnt done, and just Agouti and Red Factor, you might THINK he is buckskin based on the results of THOSE tests, but only by sending additional hair to PetDNA would you know if he was or wasnt smoky brown

After reading through the whole thread, I understand a little better about what this guys been though
You have no idea ... it truly is one of those very unfortunate and heart breaking chain of events that occured. Certain family members very much DID step up to the plate and had the best interests of all of the horses absolutely front and center, but were overruled by others. It certainly wasnt through lack of trying or people not caring or turning their backs on them. At no time did this individual give up. It just simply took time to get them all out of there ...

I wish, in the end, that those who opposed what was trying to be done for the horses, stopped and remembered for just one minute, what the family member who passed away, spent their entire life doing and what had been accomplished in this breeding program and werent in such a damned hurry to throw it all away ... :-(

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I wish, in the end, that those who opposed what was trying to be done for the horses, stopped and remembered for just one minute, what the family member who passed away, spent their entire life doing and what had been accomplished in this breeding program and werent in such a damned hurry to throw it all away ... :-(
Well said. I believe what you just said, and the welfare of the horses should have over-ruled some peoples stupidity. HeHeHe. Glad to see them in new homes though. :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thank you for your input and support!

I wish, in the end, that those who opposed what was trying to be done for the horses, stopped and remembered for just one minute, what the family member who passed away, spent their entire life doing and what had been accomplished in this breeding program and werent in such a damned hurry to throw it all away ...
Well said. It was all very heartbreaking and I am sure we cannot even begin to know how the horses current care taker had felt threw all of this.

Do you have any pictures of GG's smokey brown foals? I was a bit skeptic of his color from the get go but I've honestly never met a smokey black horse to say. That and he has always been in the back corner of a barn, who could tell! But after I brushed him and while taking these pictures I JUST told my husband he looked very sooty buckskin. You are betting smokey brown though? Whatever it is hes very handsome and I love the color. He looks like a wild rabbit color :)

CLaPorte432 - I couldn't agree more. His legs and feet are a complete train wreck. I know it was hard for her but I tried to convince her to let me take him over here when he was six months old. She'd wanted to keep him and tried but in the end the stall did not do him any favors. I hope he turns into a stunning little show gelding for someone. If all else fails he has a home here.

He is currently 15.1hh. His knee to coronet measures 16 1/2" so I am expecting him to mature around the size of his brother here. His dam is 15.3 like Donna said.

Name wise his dams registered name is Jinx. I wouldn't mind keeping sire/dam names in his name or just some new one or two word name, something unusual. So far I've just come up with Hijinx or Guaranteed Hijinx.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
LOVE Hijinx!

Reactions: CecilliaB

·
Registered
347 Posts
With the dam's name, Ive always thought of the James Bond connection. :) You know Jinx - played first by Ursula Andress and then by Halle Berry? Wonder if you could pull from that direction for a name?

Or - do you go with something like "Jinxed" which is very fitting in his case. Unfortunately ...

I'll get the pictures of the smoky browns posted later on today. Remember as with bays and chestnuts, and palomino's and buckskins - the smoky browns run the full gamut from light to dark tones as well ... :)

41 - 60 of 85 Posts