The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I'm not much at critique, but her croup has a weird slope to it. She needs about 300 more pounds on her too. Lots and lots of hay if you end up getting her.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
cute but like Myboy said she needs some lbs ... lots of hay and time to just be.

what are you looking for?
do you have experience with young horses?
was she raced? (it doesn't say they have ridden her-just says prospect)

she look sweet though!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
She's race fit. I went to a racetrack this weekend and there were a ton of thoroughbreds who were just as skinny or skinnier. They keep them "thin to run". I think she's pretty but if she is OTT she might take a bit of work.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'd definitely say she needs more muscle. Also, her coupling seems pretty weak to me which might alter how she moves.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
She is racing fit, and has not let down from the track at all. She can't have been off the track long.

The farm that's advertising her does a lot of work with OTTBs. I actually like the grey gelding advertised on the farm website even better than this mare.

As far as I can tell from one still shot, yes, she has potential as a hunter/jumper or eventer. The real question is do you have the time and experise to re-school and OTTB as a hunter/jumper or event horse, or would you be better off with a prospect that doesn't have the racetrack baggage? She's coming 5, so I would assume she's raced for a couple of years. (In general, the longer and *better* they've raced, the more difficult/time consuming to reclaim. Not always true, but true often enough I am extra cautious about older OTTBs.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. Yes, I do have experience with young horses, and I will be working with a trainer. My last horse was also a 5 year old that I got off the track, he just had an old injury that prevents him from jumping. I'll ask for more information, pictures, and possibly videos, then post them on here too :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
I like her. As stated above she is racing fit so will need down time and brought slowly back into condition since you'll be using diffeent muscles.

Nice tie in for the neck (not low), Croup appears steep but part of that is her muscling - more muscle less steepness...but having said that I've seen my share of jumpers with a steep croup like that and it can give them power.

Nice legs (as best I can tell from the shot).

Suggest when bring her back into condition you start with basic dressage since she needs to learn to carry more weight behind to jump her best (racing is more push from behind, not carry).

Nice mare! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.