Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.
I realise it may be a little early to tell however from those of you who are experienced in conformation, I would love to know how you think Zephyr is developing. He's a year old now and literally floats across the ground when he moves.
Anyway, here's some recent pics...(and thank you in advance ;-))

Attachments

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I think we all know Zephyr is perfect. He sure does ;)

So no critique from me except to say I love those pics.

(He is a beautiful horse too, very nice conformation, I just can't bear to pick him apart!!)

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
As a yearling he has some things that will not change. His legs are what they are. He is light boned in front and straight through the hock behind. He also has some rotations in his fronts.. and he is a little bench knee'd. His neck ties in a bit low at the chest. Currently he is a bit mutton withered, but this is something that will change. He is currently down hill. From the placement of his hocks compared to his knees he is likely going to BE downhill when he matures. He has adequate hind quarters and a nice depth to his body. Pretty color and a nice head.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Yogiwick LOL and thank you Elana, that is very interesting.
I am hoping he won't be downhill but I am interested in what you say about the placement of his hocks to his knees.
:)

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Stifle to elbow also counts. FWIW. His stifle is way higher than his elbow. May change but don't count on it changing a lot.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elena, can you tell me what all this means in terms of rideability and injury risk? Excuse my ignorance here. Anything I should take special measures over when trimming for example? :)

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Horses built down hill are harder to collect and harder to get working off their hind quarters. I find this important. There are disciplines where this is less important such as barrel racing and cutting (if the horse has cow).

I just like a horse that can balance to the rear.

Just let him grow and then use him. What do you want to do?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing major, I will do a wee bit of very minor eventing but mostly I hope to do CTR and pleasure riding :) He is half quarter horse, 1/2 anglo arab/stationbred. His dam, who is the quarter horse is not downhill at all and neither is the sire. I wonder where he gets this from! And I sure see now what you mean about the stifle/elbow angle!
Thank you for your candor :)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I hope to do CTR and pleasure riding
I think he'll be fine for that. If his parents were balanced, there is still a chance he will end up the same way, although ,as was said, he looks pretty down hill right now. I have ridden many, many miles on down hill horses, including CTR. they ride a bit different and don't collect easily, but for what your doing it wont make much difference.

he's gorgeous:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.