The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might need a crop/whip soon. I am going to be riding a horse that is slow and lazy and I use a crop/whip on him already, but I want one of my own. The one's I am supposed to use on him are the ones that are long, so I can tap him right behind my foot. Not one of the short ones you would just use on the shoulder. What are those kinds called exactly? What are some links ones that last long and look really cool? Awesome neon colors or something? Or a bright baby blue maybe? Any ideas?

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
I found a really cool dressage whip with gold stones. The tag actually said "Bling whip". So it's out there.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Crops/whips come in different sizes. Dressage whip is really long and you can touch the horse on butt or behind the leg while not moving hands. Jumpers are using much shorter crops. Personally I prefer the dressage one, because it's long enough so I don't have to move my hands while using it.

BTW, using the whip on shoulder is meaningless. You use it behind the leg to "back up" the leg cue. I tap the butt too sometime, but some horses may throw a buck when you do it.

Reactions: Corporal

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Agree with Kitten Val, a whip should be used to reinforce your leg aid, so behind the leg, or for training the hind legs with a long whip.

You can get them in different sizes, and dressage whips are good, but try not to get one too flimsy, they break easier when you store them.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
DD, I have 3(!). :) Cheap red one I use for everyday riding, the blue one for the lessons (I got it when I thought I lost my red one somewhere, and it lives in my trailer now), and very nice black one for shows with the gel handler (that one indeed a very nice whip). I have couple short ones too (for my jumping lessons and all), but they are hard to manage (so you'd use it and still keep contact).

·
Registered
23,909 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I would only use a dressage whip for a young horse that needed schooling (or for dressage schooling) for every day riding I always carry a crop which is almost never used on the horse but it is there is I need to immediately back my leg up (Tb occasionally napped when I first had her). Plain black and leather covered and never use the hoop around your wrist - very dangerous.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
That's true, I'm not a fan of dressage whips, though. You can't really get a good whack from them. I also don't like how they drag along the side of the arena when you're going around on the rail. (I think that is just an Erika problem though).

o.0
When I use a whip, I don't want to whack my horse with it. Why? Because it interrupts the horse's movement, possibly the way you ride too as you'll have to change your position. The horse will tense up and its noticeable. If I use a crop, whip which ever I want to use the lightest of touches and get a response from it, not smack the horse with it.

Also, if its catching the side of the arena, you need to tuck it in more with the position of your wrist.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sounds like a dressage whip for sure - if thats what you are using then thats what I would get - they are really handy to have

the fleck whips - the one posted earlier - are the most lovely whips - they are so well balanced - you can definitely tell the difference when you hold one - all my whips are flex!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.