The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what the requirements would be to get a horse across the canadian border?

·
Registered
183 Posts
You are deffinatly going to need proof that he has had all the required shots, definitely proof of his most recent coggins (basically proof that he has had it). You might want photo ID of him (what they recommend doing is taking pictures of him in ALL angels, from back, front, both sides, pics of odd markings, maybe some pictures with you or whoever will be trailering him, and well before the travel date mail them to yourself and don't open it to prove that you own him), if you have any contacts in Canada have their numbers on hand (for example the new B.O.), proof of where you're going and reason why, proof of residence in U.S.

If it's for a show, probably the same deal.

There may be more requirements but that is all I remember about them.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm parting ways and heading back north...toying with either maine or back to quebec...he's utd on all shots and coggins and will traveling by my self and the 2 horse trailer

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
KANSAS_TWISTER said:
just wondering what the requirements would be to get a horse across the canadian border?
Regardless of whether you move back Canada or to Maine, you will need a health certificate. They are generally good for thirty days.

The safest thing to do is to call your vet and ask him which shots you need for either going into Canada or Maine. Part of his or her job as a vet is to either know or find out that information for his clients.

He will also ask you when you plan on moving. Filling out your health cert (for each horse) has to be co-ordinated with the date you leave Kansas because of the 30 day limit on it.

I moved three of my horses cross-country twice. I was only asked for their shot records twice and got pulled over at a livestock station in SoCal on my way OUT. I can tell you, they took the health cert & coggins papers out of hubby's hands and marched themselves out to the horse trailer to carefully examine each horse.

If they wouldn't have like the "smell" of something, they had every right to hold me up and/or seize my horses :shock:

So don't second-guess anything --- go straight to your vet :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts